Srx440 roundslide carbs

orchie18

Just picked up a 1980 srx440. It has round slide carbs. Im not sure that it is jetted right or something. It is very boggy when you come on to the throttle, once rpms our up it seems to pull. Does anyone have a baseline carb setting for these round slide carbs.

First off we need to know what size the carbs are??? There should be the size number or a 3 digit Yamaha code stamped in the side near the top. Jeff Wurl

get it from maine? if so i looked at that sled and it sounded very lean at idle.i believe the carbs might have come from a 570 exciter.may want to check jetting to see what it has vs what an older exciter had.i was thinking a pilot change to start with and raise the needle a pos or 2 and try it.rode it around his yard and it really turned on after the rpms got up a bit.you lucked out because i couldnt make up my mind.so my loss,your gain.should make a very nice srx with a little tuning!

ORCHIE, PILOT AND NEEDLE CHANGE WILL CHANGE A LOT AND CLEAN UP THAT BOTTOM. ALSO YOUR AIR / FUEL SCREW. I WOULD TAKE THOSE CARBS ALL APART AND POST WHATS THERE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

staggs65 said:
If it is I looked at it too. could have bought it for $800 back in the fall but passed on it.
the one in levant?i shouldve done the deal but i just couldn't make up my mind...i have about half the parts i need to build a 79.guess i need to start looking again...

yes, thats the one I was looking at back in september. it had a repair on the left hand footwell and didnt have all the decals. the guy had a bunch of old sleds on racks he built around the garage

I never made the trip up. just did the email thing back and forth with him and saw all the stuff in the background of the pics. looked like he had some nice stuff.

ditto, sorry for jacking orchie

he definately has nice stuff and he is very talented.hard to believe he's 28 and so into the older stuff.had a ball talking to him.in fact i got very consumed with his other stuff and lost track of th reason i was there.he stood there and froze his *** off while i told him stories.wish he was closer to me i could have a ball hanging in his garage building shit!

Haha. We spent two hours there . He fired up one if his oval track Polaris. Claimed his 340 was pushing 130 hp. The thing sounded crazy. He said he had engagement set at 7000rpm. I have a video I may post later. Anyhow. It indeed the same sled from levant. We worked out a good deal with a parts exciter and a brand new track. The sled does sound lean I the bottom end for sure. Once you hit 6000rpm it breaks loose and goes all squerilly. I like it so far, the damage to the pan is as shame because it has lots of potiential. The exciter belly pan is almost perfect to swap over. I will post back later with some carb specs

just digging out my parts to take a little inventory.the chassis has been in my garage for at least 2 years then a month or so ago i decided i wasn't going to build it anytime soon so i put it outside.now i have the itch so i have been all morning shoveling it out of the snowbank and its thawing as we speak.

i'm actually in need of a bunch myself.i stole skis and springs off my 250 enticer so it would sit on it's own.i had restored an 80 exciter suspension about 7 years ago that's been waiting in my shed so i threw that in.i need a seat,complete engine with electrics,pipes front bumper,belly pan and belly pan boots...that's just what i can think of..i'm sure there's more...oh yup a good hood! building on an almost non existent budget sucks! but i will make it happen! sidebar,the sled i was going to trade for the srx lunched a lower rod bearing today 2 miles out!i would've felt terrible if that happened to him so it worked out for the best.

don't know if you want to get the missing decals or not but sledstuff.com (intech graphics) has an 80 kit and bill will sell you just the ones you need.

Back