Srx440 roundslide carbs

We got it idling at 1500 with a few adjustments. Buddy put the float bowl fork upside down on one side. Sure that wouldn't help matters at all. I think we have the hoses in all the right places. With exception of the double ones side by side on top.

Haven't had time to solve the bog yet. We moved the needles to the 2 clip but I made it quite a bit worse. We are going to try moving the clips up some evening this week as well. Will post back with results

Last edited:

not sure if you posted wrong or not.do not want to insult anyone,but you said you were going to move the clips up and that leans it out in the mid.which way did you move the clips the first time or what position from the top were the clips on when you started?have you messed with airscrews yet to determine if you need different pilots?had a set of carbs on an 87 exciter that gave me fits until i figured out they were different than the polaris ones i was used to.once i figured them out i had that running very good.nice response and you could hold it wfo for long stretches.

Last edited:
Tried 2nd as per a suggetion, also tried clip at third, ran out of Time to go to 4th. They were really messed up when we took it apart one was at 3rd and 1st. I will check back once I have time to work on it again. We set screws at 1.5 turns

Here's an update. Things seem to be getting better. We dicided to get rid of the power jet setup and run only the mains in the top of the bowl.

Here is what we have now
380 mains
42.5 pilots
Needles leaned out all the way. Top clip position
Fuel screws at 1.5 turns out

Still has a low end bog but not as bad and starts alot easier. The idle hangs high for about ten seconds then drops
My questions is now should I drop my pilots to 40s and start the clip in the middle? Or change something else first.

ANDY, NO THROTTLE RESPONSE AT ALL. WELL GOOD MOVE BLOCKING THOSE POWER JETS. YOU CAN TRY DROPPING PILOTS, ARE YOUR CarBS IN SYNC ? ARE THEY PULLING slides EVENLY ? sled seems to idle pretty good. i will tell ya, you need atleast a 5500 engagement
on that sled. 3:16 (yammie tony)

may not be able to clean it up enough with the needles and/or nozzles they have.i hated those carbs on my exciter until i got it leaned back enough to run smooth.if i had it to do over,i would swap the carbs out for a set of non power jet 38's.but,you really should be able to make it run right with those.hope you get it figured out.

Yesterday we did some more tuning.

Our pilots are now 35s
mains 330s
needles at 2nd clip washers on bottom
air screws at 1.5

The sled feels like it has much better throtte response. I seems to have a idlehang at 3000 rpm then slowly goes down to 1500. The sled reminds me of driving a an old olympic until you hit 5-6000rpm then its like driving a vmax4 lol. Has very bad bottom end power. I have never ridden a well tuned srx before but from what ive read people clutch them up to engage to 5000 rpm, which would make sence. We have some clutch parts on order that should make this old girl scream. Putting a brand new track with chizzles on tonight.

just goning on what i have ran on my SRX's with 38 mm carbs no power jets in this set up

2.5 cutaway /slide
6dh4 needle in 3rd clip position
35-40 pilot (motor will tell you what is wants
air screw at 1 turn
Q-6 tube/needle jet
and 320 mains

engagement at 4500 rpms and runs up to 8800 this is a all stock 79 srx with stock clutches

has a little doggyness out of the hole but that will happen unless engagement is brought up

my 78 stocker i use for racing comes in a 6200 and my 78 that has a little work done to it comes in a 6500 prms but that has 76 pipes and 40mm carbs

my all stock 79 that i finished last spring runs perfect with all factory settings (36mm powerjet carbs) and stock gearing and clutching except for a little higher engagement primary spring

Sounds like we're getting close based in what you have. Still waiting on n1 weights and purple spring to get engagement up.

thanks guys, I do have a yamaha clutch on a exciter 440, would this work well, if so gimmie some setups??please.

One Thing I Do Regret In My Srx 440 Days Is Not Playing More With The Yamaha Primary. Comets Just Had So Much More. 3:16 (yammie Tony)

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
One Thing I Do Regret In My Srx 440 Days Is Not Playing More With The Yamaha Primary. Comets Just Had So Much More. 3:16 (yammie Tony)

with all of our testing the yamaha primary out performs any comet just costs alot more to keep these clutches in tip top shape just way more fine tuneable IMHO how about a bone stock 76 srx 440 runing a 6.16 in 500 ft and more to be had according to the tach and a bone stock 75 gpx 433 running a 6.40 in 500ft ...........if the mod gpxs run with out giving use problems looking for the 5.8 mark .....all of these times came on a NSRA pro tree set up

Back