"The Summer Project " 440X

got the hood painted last night .......still have to wet sand and buff and youch up a few areas as got fish eyes in spots of the clear .......i know what causes them but it was a complete surprise must of been something with in the paint gun ..........think it is time for a couple new spray guns they gravity hvlp guns are old and well used ............but other than that turned out really nice ........

100_0556_zps157e4aec.jpg
100_0557_zps64f8dc61.jpg
100_0559_zps70097095.jpg
100_0560_zpsd128da16.jpg
100_0561_zps9cf4d11b.jpg

well got some more things together steering is all done .....picking up rest of the parts this weekend to finish off the chassi ended up not liking the white so with the other issues i sanded it down and re painted it with a brighter white and things turned out perfect this time around must have been something with my spray gun as i did not use that gun this time

100_0567_zps96688217.jpg
100_0569_zps195578b7.jpg
100_0571_zps942747a0.jpg
100_0573_zpscce32fbf.jpg

picked up the rest of my parts this weekend .....new front bumper and the 3 rear tail section pieces ...........I rolled the cutout in the tunnel to look factory but could not help myself and I remade the sides from the ones I bought to make them look like the factory ones took about 20 min per side to make the side pieces and about 10 min a side to roll the tunnel ....took about 2 hrs to make the dies to do everything ............think it turned out good
003_zpse867a62f.jpg
004_zps8881ceba.jpg
005_zps91cb28e1.jpg
006_zps98736617.jpg

should have everything welded up sanded and polished and have it in a roller by the end of the weekend

then onto the motor

no time too I want this sled on the grass this fall .........trying to have it in roller form for a show at the end of the month

got all the welding done last night and finished it up early this morning (ran out of spool wire and no one had any) had a bunch of stuff to do in the shop today so I will start the sanding and polishing tonight getting a little behind in the build some things are taking longer than expected (mainly because I want things perfect) but should still have it in roller by the end of the weekend will post pics later

turch said:
Do you have any pics of the motor for this bad boy

nothing yet the motor is just a SRX 440 full mod will not be polished but fresh bead blasting ...........motor is in pieces I fully rebuilt the crank over the winter .........I know what I want to do as far as porting but still undecieded on the head design (that is a work in progress) might of got a hold of a set of 77 pipes .......if I can snatch them up then I will not build any and just put stingers on the 77 pipes

things are going a little slower just about done with the polishing

pics coming soon

long weekend with the sled got lots done should have it in a roller in a few days .......got the hood cut and buffed chassis all sanded hammer and dolly work to straighten the tunnel the best I can from all the welding of holes turned out pretty nice pinstriped the hood I will have to redo the small one as it was layed down as a guide and lots of polishing that is what takes so much time had to get it out in the sun today just to see it man I need a pair of shades to look at it

003_zpsc786f649.jpg
007_zps7a040759.jpg
009_zpsd733c596.jpg
010_zps8e1e6260.jpg
012_zps03425a8f.jpg
013_zps4db1d76e.jpg
014_zps0a4ab2c3.jpg
015_zps148c6f34.jpg

016_zpsb681f2a9.jpg
017_zps2975f69a.jpg
018_zpse1bf5a3c.jpg

also installed new front bumper got the springs and sadles all painted up really all that is left is skis and handle bar mount

few more things done track is drilled and cleaned up made up the new steering stem ..got the chain case all rebuilt with new bearings and seals ...new bearing in the pillow block ....finally put on the left side spindle boot springs and sadles are all painted up and installed ...will be a long weekend with the cylinders
001_zps8b796485.jpg
002_zps707be3d9.jpg
003_zpsba59790d.jpg
004_zps1fa98bf6.jpg
005_zpsc610704d.jpg
007_zpsa4d5d5ec.jpg

Looks good! if you take a stainless steel wire brush { fine } to your cast parts you can get a nice shine out of them { it has to be stainless steel and not a steel brush } just a thought.
Keep up the good work, its looking cool
G

turch said:
Looks good! if you take a stainless steel wire brush { fine } to your cast parts you can get a nice shine out of them { it has to be stainless steel and not a steel brush } just a thought.
Keep up the good work, its looking cool
G

I knew that, but I like the look if a fresh bead blasted look on the cast pieces ..........yes there is a lot of polishing on the sled and it will only look this good once but once polished the stuff cleans up real easy that is the only reason I am polishing many things I normally would not believe it or not my drag sleds get awful dirty after a weekend of racing but always clean up nice ........they are just never as perfect as when they come off the stand for the first time

Yamaha Nutz said:
believe it or not my drag sleds get awful dirty after a weekend of racing but always clean up nice ........they are just never as perfect as when they come off the stand for the first time

I hear you there, I cant believe how grungy things get when you pull an engine after a season of racing. Even with thorough cleanings in between.

more work done over the weekend and last night fresh crank and bottom end is together and rebuilt water pump with new belt polished the secondary up a little still a little more to do on it cdi is mounted blasted and repainted the recoil got my sway bar covers from Leon @ Koch's Performance and started the long process of the porting
001_zpsb89209d4.jpg
002_zpsd8c774fc.jpg
003_zps917a9ba1.jpg
004_zps376e71b6.jpg
005_zpsb4acf2a7.jpg
006_zps5a5e9dd5.jpg
007_zps212d3baf.jpg
008_zps7dd926a0.jpg

cylinders are just about done about 2-3 more hours and they will be ready to bolt on ..........man I really hate doing transfer ports .....they take so long and slow working ............

Back