Another Yamaha in the stable

SX700triple

2upperDeluxe
Another Yamaha in the stable - summer build project

Picked up a cosmetically rough '83 SS 440 for my fiancé. Needs a bath, a new seat cover and a few dents pounded out of the belly pan but its in great shape otherwise. Looking for an SRV to donate its front end and a phazer II rear skid to stretch to 136 to clone my XLV in SS form. Does anyone know the dimensions for the piece of wood that goes under the seat?

IMG_20130818_124532_720_zpsd0949379.jpg

Last edited:

What are the dates for Wausau? I was wondering that last night. This thing needs a track real bad so I would at least like to get it to 121 for now.

Depends on the year. If its a phazer II, the shocks, springs, spring retainers, knuckles and scissors will work and possibly the frame ends and strut tubes if they would fit under the SRV covers. If its an early phazer, the scissors are on the wrong side of the strut and the shocks are a much larger diameter. I will be at Wausau this year also.

Alright, finally got a chance to dig into this thing a little bit and start returning it back to good condition. I'm not trying to restore it by any means especially since I'm planning on modding it anyways... Buuuut, there were some things done to it in its past life that are pretty laughable. It seems to me the tail light started on fire at one point and the housing was busted off so it got screwed down with sheet metal screws. The seat? Well that just got left burnt and eventually the cover just fell apart bit by bit. Upon further inspection, the tail light wires were chewed by a mouse. The air box. Chock full of black walnuts! Probably half the reason it barely ran! Which brings me to the carb. First, the "boot" from the air box to the carb was a piece of flexible dryer vent tube just stuffed on. That allowed a mountain of belt dust to get sucked into the motor. It also completely lacks an air/fuel screw... Probably the other reason it barely ran! Last of all for today, the throttle cable was nowhere near correct. Looked like a universal that just happened to fit.. Kind of. There was no barrel adjuster on the carb end and the knarp was way too big to fit in its place on the throttle arm. They zip tied it to the oil pump cable and called it a day. Nice! I also had a factory cable "in stock".

IMG_20130820_174201_850_zps6111b50c.jpg

Carnage
IMG_20130820_174234_957_zpsc3b8dbc4.jpg

Had an almost brand new looking air box "in stock" with a good boot on it
IMG_20130820_174454_666_zps40b992dd.jpg

IMG_20130820_174301_194_zps058e6e18.jpg

Just a bunch of dust. My yard is shot this year!
IMG_20130820_174312_280_zps1f693f2d.jpg

IMG_20130820_174324_828_zpscd3546f7.jpg

The only damage to the hood
IMG_20130820_174356_064_zps434eca46.jpg

That's all for today. Going to pull the motor this weekend and pressure wash the belly pan out. Clean up the motor and replace fuel/oil lines. More pics to come.

Last edited:
I don't know. The guy I bought it off of looked like a pretty interesting character and I have a feeling this was mostly his handy work. He said "the sled is a basket case" "it won't run unless this little switch thing(choke) is flipped up". That's about the time I noticed the a/f screw missing and smiled. $150 delivered to my house!

There's a sled just like this for sale on Wausau CL, I think it only has around 600 miles on it. Those are some cool looking old sleds!

It should look pretty similar to my XL-V. I want to keep the original paint and decals on it but she wants it painted black. I might have to pull rank on her since its registered in my name :hide:

I bought it for her haha! There may be no turning back now. She's never ridden a snowmobile before so the front end might stay as it is for this season until she gets the hang of it. That would give me more time to collect parts. I could probably do the swap in just over a day now if I were to have everything I need ready.

SX700triple said:
Does anyone know the dimensions for the piece of wood that goes under the seat?
[

Say no to rotting plywood.....
Go to an auto parts store and buy a large hard plastic truck mud flap which are ~3/16" and around $12.00.

Vmax540 said:
Say no to rotting plywood.....
Go to an auto parts store and buy a large hard plastic truck mud flap which are ~3/16" and around $12.00.
Ah, good idea. I've actually got a sheet of 3/16" hdpe plastic in the garage that should work pretty well.

Ok, I've made very little progress on the ss over the weekend. I was busy chasing parts sleds all over the state and stripping them down for parts. Managed to grab another '88 xlv with a blown motor, an '86 SRV to donate all of the important bits and a '92 phazer for the rear skid. Thanks JDviper for the phazer and Throttle Junkie35 for the SRV. Once these two machines are stripped out for everything I need and then some, I will return to starting on the ss.

Funny, the world gets smaller every day. Good luck with the project. I think your a bit nuts to wrench in this weather though! Too dang hot!!
:ban: :ban:

I never would have expected to run into another TY member through Craigslist that's for sure! Once I'm finished getting that srv stripped down and I get the belly pan sides straightened out, it's game on! Hot or not! Looks like that machine got side swiped at one time. The right pan side was crinkled pretty good where it meets the running board.

Back