Another Yamaha in the stable

The motor is in and looks cherry. The intake manifold is the only thing that looks like crap but its stained and I cant glass blast stuff at work anymore so its going to stay that way lol. Fired it up last thursday and the thing is a runner. Should be a fun trail sled.

I'll get some new pics up later this week.. Yamaha finally decided to get all of my TSS bushings to Port Yamaha after a 2 week wait. Should be here wednesday. Uh, and my water heater took a dump. One thing after another I tell ya.

More pics!

All thats left to do on this old girl is;

-Relocate the front of the skid to get it on the ground
-Get the saddless Apex skis from JDViper machined out and mounted, Thanks again Jason!
-Get a windshield, Find krylon fusion that matches the blue on the hood, paint and install
-Get hardware for the tail light and get that installed
-Bolt the seat down
-Get a rear bumper/tunnel extension on (this thing will be going 136 soon)
-Get the heated grips working
-Register it and ride the #$%&* out of it!

Had the original tool kit in it complete with everything its supposed to have. Put the auto adjust brake on from the SRV and cleaned up the chain case and oil tank.
Had a hell of a time with the cooling fan.. The original fan was loose on the shaft and the XLV/SRV fan is larger in diameter. Took a spare XLV fan to a buddies, chucked it up in his lathe and turned it down to size.

Clutches gone through, Carb gone through, new oil/fuel lines, Replaced the air box and carb boot with a nearly mint unit I had "in stock", scraped the gunk out of the pan and pressure washed it. Also thoroughly cleaned the motor up and painted the cover.

Inside of the hood after cutting the holes and getting the strut covers mounted up. The holes were cut using the template that I have made and have available to duplicate.

Rough cut outs for access to the front skid bolts. These will get cleaned up once the skid is where I want it. Im going to have to drill a third hole another inch down from the one the skid is located in now to regain the correct geometry.

'98 Vmax seat from my XLV fitted up ready to be bolted down once the tunnel is finished and the tail light is in.

Got the scissors on and shimmed today. Nice and tight but I have one loose outter tie rod end that needs to be replaced to take all the slop out.

And the ever so popular 3/4 rear shot.

Looks awesome Rick!! Those black scissor arms look great. I bet it was nice not to have to take them apart yourself. LOL :rockon:

Thanks Shawn! I cut the original steel arms off. They were STUCK! Windshield is ordered along with a fuel pump rebuild kit for both sleds since they have both lunched a diaphragm now. I ended up buying the more expensive Kimpex windshield. I had a sno-stuff shield on my '97 SX and it was utter garbage. I'll get a pic of the two together soon.

Got the SS out in the yard.. Even with crappy clutching the thing picks the skis right up. Needs factory 8V8 weights and a stiffer spring to get it right. Still have to get hardware to put the handlebar trim on also but it is rideable as it sits.

IMG_20131021_145955_055_zpsa1226717.jpg

IMG_20131021_145739_315_zpsbe0c7f86.jpg

IMG_20131021_145836_715_zps60c18a43.jpg

That looks great...awesome project.

The ss needs the SRV hood vent though...that motor will thank you for it.

Thanks! I have a couple extra vents laying around to install, I just need to take the time to measure everything and cut the hole. My '80 SS lived a long happy life with the hood all closed up but I would like the extra cooling.

Started adding the later SRV vents to the hood on this thing today. Only got the forced air duct for the cooling fan in. I'm not sure if I will add the vent next to the headlight or not, they have a block off plate behind them and I've never in my life seen a machine with it removed so it almost seems pointless.

IMG_20131030_185126_342_zps3bbaedb7.jpg

That's all for today.

Thanks Tom.. Both sleds (as well as both trucks) are now proudly wearing a matching TY logo :rocks: I'll have to try to sneak one on the old ladies Camry lol!

Ok all the hood vents are in, handlebar trim is on and I got a 136 track off of a Venture from JDViper. I owe Jason a big props on this project. He supplied some really vital parts as well as Shawn (ThrottleJunkie35).

The Apex skis are going towards a ski bike project (think BMX) so I'm thinking I will clean up the steel skis, throw some skins on them with fresh carbides and ride it. The 136 track will be on before the snow flies.

The hood repair, paint and overall final touches will be done next summer.

Last edited:
Went through the phazer II skid and cleaned it up with some fresh paint. Going to put all new black plastic wheels in it next year so I didn't bother cleaning and painting the stockers.

IMG_20131114_182136_813_zps3ffa8092.jpg

Waiting for the rail extensions, ski skins and new carbides to show up in the mail. Then the crack in the hood may get fixed. I want to clean the tunnel up some too.... Make it a little more mirror like. ;)!

Got the sled all finished up besides polishing the tunnel. Ill try to get it outside for a picture tomorrow. I managed to get the track in, rail extensions on and the skid back in ONE day before we got some snow so at least I made that goal ;)! Its also 9 degrees and steadily dropping as I type this... not bad for November 23rd! :brr

Anyways

IMG_20131121_180039_072_zpse17fbbaf.jpg

Skid looks good in there besides the gold rails

IMG_20131121_175445_387_zps46f08778.jpg

Well this thing made it through last season without any hiccups other than stabbing a rail through the track approaching a snow bank. So it needs either a front limited strap or an anti stab kit and a new track. Lost some of the windshield trim too which was a huge bummer as I have none left. Oh well I guess. At least it's still in one piece!

Back