New project - 91 Phazer II boondocker 144"

This trip it's just me and my cousin, I'm on my Summit and he's on the Phazer. A buddy of mine might come out Thursday on his 2012 Summit for the day but that's it. My camp's on a lake so might do a little ice fishing too. Sauna will definitely be hot! Been watching the radar and lake effect has been hitting my camp area the last few days hard I think it's going to be great riding!!! I hope!

Well we had a great trip to camp! Snow was good, not what we're used to but had enough base we could go pretty much anywhere and a foot or so of fresh pow. Not enough snow to get stuck in however my cousin managed to a couple times but was never really stuck, I jumped on and drove it right out lol. He's green and learning how to ride off trail. By the end of our trip he was getting the hang of it.

The new plug caps made a big difference we never fouled a plug and both look good now. The Venture windshield is nice especially since it was so cold, Wednesday had a high of 7f.

Here's another vid mostly just climbing some hills. We were just using my phone to record and my video skills suck so don't expect too much. Would've been great to have a helmet cam as we did some great woods riding.

Oh and Snowdad I totally get what your talking about powder ballooning and snow evacuation now. I've been reluctant to cut the track down until it got a good test. In all our woods riding and hill climbing it wasn't a problem but at speed in the powder especially when I ran wfo across the lake in heavy powder I felt it, was like a huge drag, I could really feel it and it really limited top speed. As the winter snow piles up I can see now I'm going to have to cut the lugs down. Probably going to take a quarter inch off now.

Would it be correct to assume that the Phazer is better in the timber & tighter spaces. And the Summit is better suited to spaces that are more open?

Yeah pretty much. The summit does well in the woods but the phazer certainly does better the tighter it gets, it's just so light and flickable you can change direction on a dime. I'll be honest I haven't spent much time on it other than those few climbs on the video it's always my cousin Ben riding it. Someday I'm going to ride it all day, hopefully after a good dump of fresh, that'll be the real test.

I need to build a bumper for the front of the phazer, something that sticks out and protects the whole front end. The left hood hinge got ripped off the hood last ride. Also need to do something about these boards, they suck! Too narrow, no snow evac and slippery. I put sheet metal screws along the top of the rolled edge and that helped alot for traction. Tube boards next year if I get ambitious.

Winters getting better quick. Snow forecast for everyday this week. Got 5-6 this morn. School is already cancelled for the kids tomorrow because of blowing and drifting snow and -25 windchills. Bring it on!

eta: forgot to mention that the grease zerks I put in the steering knuckles totally eliminated the stiff steering first thing in the morning. Worth the small effort to do.

Last edited:
Scored me an extra engine today. Was told it had 5000 miles on it all original. The guy I got it from got it from someone else who pulled it because on a drunken night he put diesel in the tank and took it for a rip and of course the sled died, didn't blow though. Turning it over by hand it feels smooth and good compression. I see some seepage on both crank seals, not much but it's there. Not sure what diesel would do to it other than it not wanting to run.

Going to build this one up for next year. Ported, cut pistons, single layer head gasket, the whole nine yards I guess. Also got a box full of parts, another primary, mag and stator, recoil, kill switch, suspension parts and lots of misc stuff. got it all for $150, hopefully a descent deal.

Any thoughts on a drop and roll chain case for better approach angle and deeper lug track?
I have thought about it but it's a lot of work and I don't think I'd want to run more than a 2" paddle anyways. I do have an extra chain case that could donate a section to make a longer case. Wouldn't take that much really, maybe 1/2 - 3/4" down and 3/4 - 1" back. Then I'd have to move the skid mounts - again. Sure would help with snow evac though.

After fixing front end damage twice now decided to do something to protect the vulnerable front end. Took the stock bumper out, if you can call it that, and cut the pipe off the ends that bolt to the frame. Welded some round tubing to them and welded the hood hinge brackets back on, then made a stout bumper for the front out of angle iron. Should help a lot in the trees.

Damage from last ride.

you know that bumper is on backwards right? if it was sharpened and the other way it would trim its own trails.

the motor with the desil run through it should be fine. we once ran 2 gallons of coal oil through an et300 by accident. all it did was smoke a lot and use more gas than normal. heck I think that motor is still running.

Back