New project - 91 Phazer II boondocker 144"

Thanks Dannyboy, but there's nicer more deserving builds on this board than this one. The reality is it's just a rebuilt phazer with a ski doo 144" scIII suspension and track.

Here's where I'm at. If I get my tired and sick butt out of my chair I just may get it started tonight. Picked up some fresh eth free 91 and oil today so just need to mix er up. Using 40:1 premix. I'll fill the bowls, give her a squirt down the carbs, say a prayer and give her a yank. Guess I better put the pull handle on the recoil rope lol just remembered that.

I'll admit I do too. I have a long history of fixing up junk and this one was clearly ready for the scrap pile. It would've been much easier, and possibly cheaper, if I had spent more on a good running machine to start with. Not a lot to pick from around here though and I had been looking all summer. There's a couple good phazers for sale but they want $1350 and $1800 for them. There's a nice 91 exciter for $900, but I really just wanted a fanner.

Didn't do much last night, couldn't find the handle. Finally found one in the boxes of parts but it's cracked. Did fill her up with premix, dumped a little down the carbs, gave her a yank and she lit. I quit after that. forgot to get plugs yesterday so I had to clean up crappy old black plugs just to try. Maybe later today.

Notice that blue haze in the air? Yep she's running, and running damn good at that. I have a confession to make, I put the electric starter back on this afternoon. Trying to pull it over last night with a broken handle up on the stand made me realize that 20 lbs for the e-start is worth it. After getting it back on I dumped a little gas down the holes, put new plugs in and hit the key, it started instantly and stayed running. Ran perfect, idled perfect after a little adjustment, clutches shifted out nice and smooth, I'm a happy camper at this point.

did the phazer throttle lever block work with the vmax carbs and cable? i am about to add those to my project as well.

did the phazer throttle lever block work with the vmax carbs and cable? i am about to add those to my project as well.

It did, sort of, I had to make a spacer to fit inside the throttle block to take up the slack in the cable as the vmax cable was longer than the phazer cable. It would probably be better to get the vmax throttle block and I may get one at some point but for now it's working just fine.

So it's running great, but I have no power to the light circuit. I checked at the yellow lead out of the stator and I'm getting just millivolts. I'm going to run an LED headlight so maybe I can rob power from another lead, either that or looks like I have to replace the stator. Anyone ever replace it without pulling the engine? Dang just when you think you got everything licked. :o|

On a positive note I got a tunnel extension bent up today. It's just kind of sitting on there haven't mounted it yet.

ohm out the yellow lead to the black lead and you should see around .19 ohms.

never tried to get to the stator while its still in the sled. seems hard enough just to get the dang recoil off. worth a try i guess.

extension looks good. dont forget to add some reinforcement back inside. nice piece of aluminum angle does the trick. i am a firm believer in aircraft style buck rivets for all attachments associated with the extension. clecos can be your friends at this point if you have access, otherwise i suggest many temporary bolts and nuts while your riveting.

whats in store for a rear bumper? the narrower tunnel width makes it difficult to find a good looking match. i am fond of the polaris pro rmk look and they are easy to build. you can actually incorporate your stiffeners into the bumper.

Stator is fine. Lol I hooked up some of the lights and nothing lit, but come to find out all the lights were burnt out. Doesn't surprise me since the voltage regulator wasn't hooked up.

I do have clecos as I used to do a lot of body work. Got a new plywood base on the seat tonight and set it in place. It's shaping up quick now might even take it out for a spin this weekend if I can wrap up a few loose ends.

Sweet build you got going here! Just joined the site and have been looking through some threads. I was thinking about doing this with a phazer also, or maybe an older ski-doo citation. Since I can't seem to find any tundras around here... I live in Gwinn! I'll be looking forward to some fully finished pics and videos of you sled!

sweet sled im a huge fan of phazer II"S had many and would love to do a project such as this I always wanted to lean towards a super light weight 144. I wonder just how light the phazer 144 could be with a ported track plastic skis and all excess weight removed including oil injection possibly even dare I say it skidoo tundra front struts

Finally got skis on it. So what are you guys running for plastic skis on the pogo strut sleds? I haven't found anything that was a direct fit. Ended up milling, or should I say cutting, drilling and grinding out 1/2" of the saddles and cutting down the rubbers in these SRX skis I had. Really could use wider skis though. Also got the tunnel extension rivited on.

Back