here it is

I had one of the srx's with me last weekend and had the urge to ride it. After getting used to the sr viper and hopping back on the srx you guys aren't going to want to hear what I have to say. Put it this way, I'll keep one or two just to have around but the rest are going to find new owners.

NOOOOOOOooooooo !!!!! This makes me sad inside......... 18 yrs I've ridden only my SRX, now I'm actually wanting something else because of this thread.

NOOOOOOOooooooo !!!!! This makes me sad inside......... 18 yrs I've ridden only my SRX, now I'm actually wanting something else because of this thread.

Lol. The srx is a great sled for what it is and I'll always have at least one in my fleet. My favorite of the muscle sleds and I've owned them all. The ultimate overachiever. Just don't be afraid of change. The newer sleds are better than you think.

I haven't actually checked yet. At 350 miles it's probably not fully broken in yet anyways. I don't have an AFR gauge on it yet so the GEMS is set how the dealer set it up right now which I'm sure is on the rich side per Yamaha.

Blasphemy! talkin about an srx like that lol, Id really like to know a comparison, it is what it is and it ain't what it ain't, you can't compare power because you've turbod the sr but tell us what you think would happen on a perfectly groomed trail what are the differences in behaviour and what's the difference on a fluffed up trail (without bumps of course), I'm fascinated with your new machine and want to know your honest oppinion and comparison, would be great

As much as I love the old school SRX's and v max 4's you will never beat the handling and ride of the new chassis. These things flat out handle and thrive on sucking up bumps!! On an open lake the SRX can still do itself very proud though but it better be a fairly long run.
Jeff have you done any mods to the clutching yet? There's a few little things that help it top end better.

Dan
It's machined for overdrive and has my dealer's clutching combo. He uses all yamaha parts. Stock weights with bolts and nuts to add weight. Gwg. Silver secondary at 6-3. Stock helix. I've got a long list of upgrades for the off season. Gauges, more boost, better tune, different clutching, revalve shocks, and curve skis but for right now I'm just riding it as is for what little time is left. It's a great sled now and I know next year it will be even better.

Blasphemy! talkin about an srx like that lol, Id really like to know a comparison, it is what it is and it ain't what it ain't, you can't compare power because you've turbod the sr but tell us what you think would happen on a perfectly groomed trail what are the differences in behaviour and what's the difference on a fluffed up trail (without bumps of course), I'm fascinated with your new machine and want to know your honest oppinion and comparison, would be great

I haven't been ignoring this question. I wanted to get more miles before replying so I could give a better opinion. First this chassis has the same handling characteristics that we love about the srx. It corners very flat. On a hard packed groomed trail they're very evenly matched. Now I've already mentioned the push in softer snow. Easy fix with a ski change. The srx didn't have the greatest skis stock either. Plenty of people here have opted for better skis on their srx's too so I don't consider this a knock on the sled. Throw the normal junk into the mix that all trails get and the srx just doesn't compare. A well setup SX viper would hang better in these situations but it's still not there. Now this is not a bash on the older iron. The sr has 15 years of advancing technology in its favor. It should be better otherwise it'd be very disappointing. It's not perfect. None of them are but if anyone was on the fence about buying one get off the fence. You'll wish you did it sooner. At least I do.

So that's my short season summary. I won't keep posting here on it. Don't want to start a new school old school war. I will share my results on the upgrades next year.

I love your honest, unbiased opinion. You have been on more pro action sleds than most, you should know then by now! Keep up the good posting!

staggs...update us! what have you done to the new ride? How many srxs do you have now lol

I put a set of curve skis on for the last ride last year. That completely took care of the push in soft snow. I swapped the track for a studded one. Ditched the gems for a PCV pti. Thicker head gasket and head studs, can now run 12# of boost on pump gas. 4th injector, fuel pump upgrade kit, MPI race muffler, and changed gears. Innovate psb1 gauge. Everything from Ulmer including his clutching and tune on the PCV. It's still not completely back together since I get 1 day home a week and only a few hours to spend on the sled. I'm taking Saturday off this week so hopefully get it finished. Unfortunately there's no snow anyways.
A couple things I still want to do but at this point will probably wait until off season are a 4 wheel kit to replace the tri hub and get rear shocks revalved

Got it together yesterday and took it for the first ride today. Still needs a little more dialing in but the thing is a beast. Did a few good pulls out on the lake. Hard to watch the gauges when it's yanking your arms out of their sockets but looked like I was pulling 11.? On the boost at 87?? Rpms.

Got it together yesterday and took it for the first ride today. Still needs a little more dialing in but the thing is a beast. Did a few good pulls out on the lake. Hard to watch the gauges when it's yanking your arms out of their sockets but looked like I was pulling 11.? On the boost at 87?? Rpms.

Man! That has got to be over 250 HP?

I just bought a 15 ltx se. I still have my tricked out Mr Viper SRX. Do you ever ride any of your SRXs anymore. Part of me wants to hang on to mine, the SRXs are legends for sure. But I would hate to keep it and never ride it...

Yeah it should be in the 250 range, not more than that though.

Rode one of them a few weeks back because someone was coming to look at buying it. I cleaned the carbs and clutches and took it out to make sure all was well. Other than that, nope. I do want to try my SX Viper at least once though now that it's had some tweaks. It has a potential new home. It's at a friends house who may want it. He's finishing getting it back together. That's should be a bad *** sled now.

Back