New SRX 700 owner/stuck after leaving sled in snow

That sounds normal, when just putting around and slamming the brake there will be a metallic clunk. This is the slop being taken up in the brake rotor keyway and the secondary splines. As for the belt popping off, this is probably what caused that as well. When you lock the track up with the brake the belt is not allowed to ride back up in the secondary which leaves it very loose and it's possible to slip off.

It's probably best if you avoid braking like that if not necessary but it shouldn't hurt anything if you have to.

Thanks musselman. I've never noticed it on on other machines but then again it's not like I tried it either or have some to try it on now. Here is the one thing that does NOT make sense though.

A few people have said "well the belt isn't able to work its way back up the secondary". That makes sense if the belt was that far down the secondary when I slammed the brakes. Not the case. I'm crawlingor going a few mph. It's barely down on the clutch. When I'm on the machine, the brake jam for whatever reason pushes the belt deep into the secondary clutch. That is what I trying to figure out. Why.

One of my theories is bc the engine is at 5k or so rpm and the primary therefore is still grabbing the belt even though the track is locked up therefore pulling the belt through the friction and spring load of the secondary. But if that were the case this would happen to all of you guys.

This is why I am replacing the spring collar and bushing.

* one thing to note and I don't know if this plays into any of this, but when I sent machine up to nh for shop to look at it they said they had it on the lake going 112mph in not the best condition and in the mid 40s. When I got machine back there were very dark circles around my clutches. I ended up taking the time to scrape them off with my fingernail. One at the very high point of the primary (1/4" or so down from the top) and one towards the bottom of secondary.

This means that the belt was slipping at those high speeds doesn't it? Which means something is off? Or is hat normal? They weren't there before hand.

Last edited:
I have not tried it with belt off. Bc then the track wouldn't move and there would be no point in hitting the brake since the brake only stop the track/secondary and has no effect on primary/engine rpm.

Did you mean something else?

And I appreciate that. Something is f'd up. My last resort is to bring it to this place near Pittsburg to check it out. Solid shop just would hate to spend more $ to get it there and back.

Yes. Well it's a metal sound bang sound. The louder it is the farther the belt is driven in between the sheaves

No. Bc there is no way it happens when the belt is off. It's like asking me to hit the brake with the machine off and see if I hear the noise. And the answer is no.

I think COB is asking this because he's trying to eliminate it being the primary. My vmax4 made this same sound last winter and it was belt debris in the primary that was causing it to catch like that.
Were all just trying to eliminate possible causes as we can't see it happen first hand.

I get that. But the brake has no affect on the primary. I'm not saying it isn't the primary but if it is, it's bc of the secondary stopping and the belt pulling on the primary.

You guys see what I mean right. If the noise only happens when braking at low speed and never without braking. And if braking has no affect on the primary, then having the belt off and running the machine won't do anything. Bc applying brake will be meaningless.

If I wind up machine and let it wind down there is no noise. Running this without a belt would be the same thing but without load. I'll give it a go bc it is simple enough but I think logically it won't be able to prove its the primary or not.

Should try a different secondary. They are cheap. Get from here not ebay. By the time you ship the sled you might as well use that money to throw parts at it. At least then you can rule stuff out for sure and whatever parts you don't end up needing you can either keep for spare or sell to get your money back. If it were me I would rather use my money for that rather than shipping. You will get nowhere if you don't start ruling stuff out. Also check out the brake rotor. The keyway could be loose or something.

Thanks guys. How much and how do I buy a secondary on here? What does that come or not come with? How much would primary be?

You can go into the classified section on here. There are quite a few people that have a bunch of secondary's in there. The only thing that would probably be different between most secondary's would be the spring and helix. Just ask the seller for one with the 47 degree helix.

I would also check the brake rotor for play, maybe key or slot on rotor worn to much

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

We definitely have two things at play here with a high % of being related. If there was something wrong with brake rotor that does not explain why braking at low speed is pulling the belt an inch down in between the sheaves.

Considering that the noise upon that low speed braking is loudest when the belt gets pushed farthest down has to mean it can't be the rotor.

When I or someone I bring the machine to figures this @$! out, I'll be sure to let everyone know. All darn snow was gone by end of day today. I have nothing to even test my changes. Since I'll be heading on my snowmobile trip fen 28th I am going to just send my sled up to a guy I trust who knows his stuff. Shipping won't cost me much this trip and I'll be taking the machine back myself. It's my only option at this point if I want to ride this thing trouble free and stress free on my trip. Unfortunately

Back