What's 2017 Going to Bring?

I have to say I'm impressed with Yamaha bringing out the Sidewinder. I definitely want one. First the name, wonder if it's a tongue and cheek humor dating back to the old Yamaha patches saying Yamaha Go Sideways. LOL. Not to warm and fuzzy about it being a Yamaha/Cat cross breed but in the back of my mind I would like to think Yamaha looked at every thing Cat on the sled to make sure it meets their specs. Yah the cost is high but you get what you pay for. Looking forward to taking one out for a spin.

Interesting to see the VK with the old reliable 540 air 2 stroke. They also state that it meets current EPA emissions and uses 25% less fuel than previously. So yes they have the technology.

Wonder what next year will bring us. Turbo Phazer engine in the SRviper body as a entry level sled?

$_35.JPG

Shows: http://www.snowsneakpeek.com/

I wouldn't count the chickens before they are hatched. The Sidewinder tested was a preproduction unit, so that horsepower number may or may not be what the production models have.

Last edited:
agreed. It is a big hole. still make DI 2 stroke outboards... 4 stroke outboards handle like cement trucks.

Unless this motor shows up in a SxS then their stance on platform sharing for ROI is out the window. 4+ years to develope a motor that originally wasn't meant for a cat chassis only to dump it in a cat chassis is crap. In the long run that chassis won't hold up from the power. Cat won because they are done with the Suzuki twin and got a much better motor and are at the top of the hp race. Yamaha, well you just gave up your market share grabbing powerhouse by giving it away to someone else and putting it in a garbage chassis. It still leaves me saying oh well maybe next year. Maybe 2018 will see this motor going into a Yamaha chassis for 50th sled anniversary. We can always dream right.

Unless this motor shows up in a SxS then their stance on platform sharing for ROI is out the window. 4+ years to develope a motor that originally wasn't meant for a cat chassis only to dump it in a cat chassis is crap. In the long run that chassis won't hold up from the power. Cat won because they are done with the Suzuki twin and got a much better motor and are at the top of the hp race. Yamaha, well you just gave up your market share grabbing powerhouse by giving it away to someone else and putting it in a garbage chassis. It still leaves me saying oh well maybe next year. Maybe 2018 will see this motor going into a Yamaha chassis for 50th sled anniversary. We can always dream right.

Funny thing is this partnership has been around since the SRX120 and well before I'm sure. Now was the chassis built for engine? Don't know heard rumors it kinda was, kinda wasn't. Heard the PARTNERSHIP was in works up to 5 years before handshake so who knows. Point is this chassis is awesome. Rides like a couch. Know is it perfect for 4 stroke, not sure but I love it. Cat quality is way up since partnership. Guys on 4 stroke side were talking about how cat said their warranty work was way down. So Yamaha is helping with engines and quality and we get a awesome ride in return. I never say never but in this case ime sure we have seen the last of the all Japan Sleds! At least for the distant future. I say good. My blue colored glasses helped me accept the poor ride of any Yamaha sled I've ridden. I have the pro action tunned and dialed in with best shock around and it's OK but it's no cat ride! As far as actually chassis the Yamaha knees above the hips sit down is for the birds. Rider forward is amazing on my back, knees and hips. Definitely not junk!

Funny thing is this partnership has been around since the SRX120 and well before I'm sure. Now was the chassis built for engine? Don't know heard rumors it kinda was, kinda wasn't. Heard the PARTNERSHIP was in works up to 5 years before handshake so who knows. Point is this chassis is awesome. Rides like a couch. Know is it perfect for 4 stroke, not sure but I love it. Cat quality is way up since partnership. Guys on 4 stroke side were talking about how cat said their warranty work was way down. So Yamaha is helping with engines and quality and we get a awesome ride in return. I never say never but in this case ime sure we have seen the last of the all Japan Sleds! At least for the distant future. I say good. My blue colored glasses helped me accept the poor ride of any Yamaha sled I've ridden. I have the pro action tunned and dialed in with best shock around and it's OK but it's no cat ride! As far as actually chassis the Yamaha knees above the hips sit down is for the birds. Rider forward is amazing on my back, knees and hips. Definitely not junk!

Well said. I know I do not want to ride any of the newer sleds. I do not want to know how nice it is yet. If I did I know what would happen and right now my pocketbook says no, don't do it. lol Having said that, next winter if someone with a new sidewinder tells me to take it for a spin I will not be able to resist.

Well said. I know I do not want to ride any of the newer sleds. I do not want to know how nice it is yet. If I did I know what would happen and right now my pocketbook says no, don't do it. lol Having said that, next winter if someone with a new sidewinder tells me to take it for a spin I will not be able to resist.

Yup that's why I never rode one. I wouldn't even ride my buddy's nytos. LOL! Once ya do its all over!

I rode a few.....still like my old 2 strokes better! lol. I just don't care for the rider forward position, feels too tippy, I like to be down low.

Super1C, I have to respectfully disagree. Do I "know" an all Japan built sled is coming from Yamaha... of course not, but, "IF" there is one coming, my money is on next year as it's their 50th anniversary. Reading CR's blog he hints that they are currently working on future possible builds, so they are still in the game. All of that said, the Sidewinder tech (motor) is just amazing and the new Viper chassis sure does isolate the driver from trail impacts. Those who haven't tried one (VIPER/SIDEWINDER) should, prior to passing judgement. CHEERS!

Super1C, I have to respectfully disagree. Do I "know" an all Japan built sled is coming from Yamaha... of course not, but, "IF" there is one coming, my money is on next year as it's their 50th anniversary. Reading CR's blog he hints that they are currently working on future possible builds, so they are still in the game. All of that said, the Sidewinder tech (motor) is just amazing and the new Viper chassis sure does isolate the driver from trail impacts. Those who haven't tried one (VIPER/SIDEWINDER) should, prior to passing judgement. CHEERS!

Right, and like super1c my blue goggles let me put up with a lot of subpar ride and handling over the years. These Teal goggles are fricken awesome!!!

Staggs, I really want to pull the trigger! Just HAVE to wait until the anniversary editions are out, but, if I get a test ride on the Sidewinder it's probably all over...!

How about a total carbon fiber body and chassis with the new r1 engine =super hyper sled..would that not be a awesome 50th anniversary

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Or the old srx engine 01 or 02 on a new apex platform

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Back