What's 2017 Going to Bring?

Yep, once you get a taste that's all you want to do...I think I like trail riding less and less every year, but off trail gets expensive quick.

i can vouch for that. seems like someone in our group is always bending for breaking something off trail.

There's no where to do any boondocking or off-trail where I usually ride. Lots of private land or thick public forests.

considering it was with people on ty 4 stroke.... tough guess.

i would say a 80% of off trail riders are on 2 strokes.

Deep snow is slow, boring and in most cases takes you to nowhere. I like to go someplace and don't want to spend all day getting there. There was a time when things were different. Now I want to put on miles and if I want to get nasty and have real fun I take the 4 to the river.

I'm 54. When young I spent a lot of time cruising chicks and spinning donuts in the parking lot. Thought it was fun at the time. I realize now that it was a pointless exercise in testosterone and laugh at the goobers trying to do the same thing today. Also played in deep snow on a sled back then and thought it was fun. If that's all I had to ride on today I'd sell my sleds.

The youngsters that like playing in the powder today will prefer a well groomed trail in the future (if they live long enough).

opsled

I could get a rush from either I think. We don't have any trails here to ride so I don't get much of that done. I do enjoy a good hillclimb also.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I have to say I'm impressed with Yamaha bringing out the Sidewinder. I definitely want one. First the name, wonder if it's a tongue and cheek humor dating back to the old Yamaha patches saying Yamaha Go Sideways. LOL. Not to warm and fuzzy about it being a Yamaha/Cat cross breed but in the back of my mind I would like to think Yamaha looked at every thing Cat on the sled to make sure it meets their specs. Yah the cost is high but you get what you pay for. Looking forward to taking one out for a spin.

Interesting to see the VK with the old reliable 540 air 2 stroke. They also state that it meets current EPA emissions and uses 25% less fuel than previously. So yes they have the technology.

Wonder what next year will bring us. Turbo Phazer engine in the SRviper body as a entry level sled?

I thought sidewinder might be a little word play on the fact of it being a side mount turbo. Maybe?

Yeah, they say it is because they cannot get the money back, if they build a 2 stroke, not worth the stake. But surely, they did have loads of cash to build a super expensive turbo sled that is priced waaay high. It may not even sell very well. For now they could build a 2 stroke, when the VK 5 manages the EPA regulations, surely a new liquid cooled 2 stroke will.

I think the term sidewinder for snowmobiles means going up a side hill through trees on a snake like pattern...something this machine will have issues with because of the weight....

Yeah, they say it is because they cannot get the money back, if they build a 2 stroke, not worth the stake. But surely, they did have loads of cash to build a super expensive turbo sled that is priced waaay high. It may not even sell very well. For now they could build a 2 stroke, when the VK 5 manages the EPA regulations, surely a new liquid cooled 2 stroke will.

Its a slap in the face when they wont build a new 2 stroke but can make an old air cooled carburated 540 meet emissions. Yamaha needs more options like doo. Keep the 4 strokes of course but not having a 2 stroke is making them miss out on alot of market share.

It is actually a wise business decision. They concentrated all of their 2 stroke energy on their bread & butter of the snowmobile line-up. After all, snowmobiles are 1% of their sales.

I bet the VK540 is there best selling sled worldwide. Might make more profit than the Viper(Tooling long paid for).

agreed. It is a big hole. still make DI 2 stroke outboards... 4 stroke outboards handle like cement trucks.

I think they have done a good job with this new sled ! It has got me excited for the first time in lets see 18 years. Just like the srx when it came out I am looking for ways to get me one.I think anybody that says they don't want one .....cant afford it. Ha just like me at the moment....but the day will come.I hope!

I think they have done a good job with this new sled ! It has got me excited for the first time in lets see 18 years. Just like the srx when it came out I am looking for ways to get me one.I think anybody that says they don't want one .....cant afford it. Ha just like me at the moment....but the day will come.I hope!

Right on! ITs one awesome looking sled!

Back