1990 Exciter Transformation ! ! !

Another question: Does anyone know if I perform the swap (install '96 Vmax TSS struts and take off Phazer II struts), can I then reuse any of the hardware from the Phazer II for the second set of Vmax struts (non-adjustable)?
thanks.

I droped my track 1.5" this fall and noticed that the track isn't level with the ground now. I have the front straps in the longest position and it's still only sitting on the rear of the skid. How did you get the track level? I have a long track skid I want to put it on but I want to get the track level first. Thanks

You need to adjust all mounting holes and not just the rear. Make a line from the axle to your old mounting rear holes and keep the measurement off that line the same as original for all holes. They all have to be in the same arc of the original mounts. You are basically pivoting the suspension around the axle, hope this makes sense.

So I need to lower the front mount also? I went straight down with the rear mount so it's not in the arc as you mentioned.

Last edited:
Yes, make sure the rear mount is the same distance from the drive axle and then work the other mounts off of that line. Example: if you had a line from drive axle to rear axle and front holes are __ inches above or below that line, it will have to be the same after you drop the rear while maintaining all the same distances for each hole from the drive axle. This will make the suspension geometry function as before with the same length track. If you search for suspension swap outs you will see that these are the measurements provided for a correct install, just use that same principle.

Great work ! I have a 89 exciter and will do the same thing you did to yours. For now so I don't miss any winter riding, can I buy 94-96 v max struts, covers, etc, and install without any modification?
I will get a kit from you this spring to widen the front end.

thanks

Last edited:
Doin it!

SO, I found myself some TSS struts off a 96 yamaha Vmax 600, and today I finally managed to rip off the old front suspension on my 89 ex570... lets just say the grinder comes in real handy for bolts that got welded in, or are welded to the axle collar.

Anyhow, the difference between the shock tower height is stunning, but atleast it has the same mounting.
I'll need to order a few parts to make the front really smooth, but I wanted to thank VMAX540 for all his pictures. It makes it easier when someone has gone through it first!

If he is reading these forums still, I'd like to ask - What size of tubing are you putting in the CM? I haven't made the cuts to widen it yet, cuz I was waiting to see if I could find that tubing, otherwise I'll slap the sled back together, greased up like a scotsman, and only widen it next year.

YamahChris: Are you saying to drop the rear skid, I need to not only weld a drop bracket in the rear, but also reposition the front bolts? I understand why, but just making sure I read your post correctly.

Thanks guys,

still in progress...

Ya, so I've got the torsion bar extended and welded, now I just need to cut the frame tubes and steering rod to make them all longer. I found that the struts I bought are shot(When I compress the strut, it doesn't come back up - but the 89's DID!). So I'm trying to find another set of struts. The front scissors were a royal pain, but the 96 ones actually came apart and look pretty nice, and are useable.

I took the rear suspension out, and found a crap load of issues. It was all seized up, and all the bogie bearings were shot - except one. I replaced them all. Then, some of the shafts are bent, some are pitted, and some are actually pretty nice. A lot of the plastic bushings are worn right through as well. The upper swingarm is in pretty bad shape, and I'm looking for a replacement, it's cracked and a piece is missing, and the shaft is grooved.

I sent the cylinders to my buddy, for a port and polish, and ordered new pistons, and an upper gasket kit. When I opened up the top end, one piston actually had a blown skirt. Someone by-passed the thermostat, so if you don't warm it up enough, you'll get a cold seizure.

I replaced the rivets in the frame,to hold the cooling fins, cuz they were worn out! All new lines, cleaned the carbs, and put filters on them, and made a sweet little cold air intake. I blew out the clutches, and bought a new belt. New camoplast 7" skiis, with single carbides.

Pics to come.

Last edited:
so you really havent done anything?? ;) sounds like some decent progress, should be a whole new animal when you get it together and out on the snow

I have the complete rear skid out of my '93 Exciter II available for $40 + shipping if you are interested. I can send you pic's if you want to see it.
Also, you don't have to buy new struts. Bruce at B-Line Control can rebuild them for you. 651-257-0828. He is a former Yamaha sno-cross shock and suspension tech and now has his own business in Lindstrom, MN
Mills

"I found that the struts I bought are shot(When I compress the strut, it doesn't come back up - but the 89's DID"
Some Struts are nitrogen charged and have a small needle point on the bottom for recharging. Some struts do not have a nitrogen charge and will not return the shaft when compressed. With those use have too see if they have good damping both ways ?

bruce at pioneer used to be at maximum performance also and i am doing a similar project to a phazer and he said yesterday that he has done alot of them with a newer proaction suspension. he said they were really fun and they built and sold about 50 of them. he also talked about a phazer his buddy at ct dynoport had one that was about 90 hp. sounds fun for that little sled.

Back