1990 Exciter Transformation ! ! !

Hey chuck i plan to do the same on a phazer i got last season for $200, i put in a arc suspension with the upgraded AD boivin springs and plan to widen and get a set of vmax struts on there, for now i have gained another inch from the stock struts, i found a set of used 600 struts but the guy wants $200 for them kinda high i thing so i will keep looking! sled is almost done just gotta throw a few bearings in the idlers nd she is ready for the snow, also have vmax 600 carbs on it with oil injection still functioning.

vmyc5u.jpg

ju7sz6.jpg

whcnww.jpg

Last edited:
looks great! have you tried that skid before? my mom had a 670 doo with it and I wasn't really a fan, but we did not have the upgrade kit in there

I am very happy with this skid, I have it in my vmax 800, in my signature and rides and hooks up great i am a light rider at around 155lbs so its not to spingy for me

at the time we had it, I was 120 lbs or so lol! glad it is working for you though, should make it a sweet upgrade on the phazer!

03viperguy said:
at the time we had it, I was 120 lbs or so lol! glad it is working for you though, should make it a sweet upgrade on the phazer!

Well have not rode the phazer yet as i just finished installing it....but i have the same skid in my 95 800 and it rocks, thats why i bought another one for this phazer and i got a deal on it!

Update

I sent out my struts to be re-valved at schmidtbrosmotorsports.com. Chris there seemed pretty knowledgable, and knew exactly what to do. One of them is slightly bent so he'll straighten it out, and valve the struts for 200lbs. I also sent them my sway bar, which they'll solidify and perform their stage 1 on it.

My cylinders are back from the port and polish and look real sharp, the transfer ports and intake ports are razor sharp, and all the passages are glass beaded.

Otherwise, my rear skid has been completely rebuilt and looks sharp with new shocks and a new upper swingarm. All new bearing in there too. I'll take a few minutes and post pics....

Here is the rear skid, all rebuilt

IMG_0334.jpg

My new Skiis,

IMG_0332.jpg

Piston and thermostat - no thermostat= broken piston!

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

Port And Polish

IMG_0333.jpg

Last edited:
Exhaust and Carb setup,

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

Difference between the exciter and 96 vmax struts,

IMG_0174.jpg

The tie rod, and sway bar differences between the exciter and 96 vmax,

IMG_0255.jpg

Go here for more pics - http://s1120.photobucket.com/albums/l482/stanage2/

Next thing to tackle is the lowering of the rear skid in the tunnel to accomodate the higher front shocks. I know the skid can't go straight down, it has to come down at an angle. Once I figure all that out, I'll post some pics.

I'm also waiting on a 73mm flex-hone to put the cross-hatch pattern back in the cylinders, that way I can be assured of a good break-in :) The glaze that accumlates on the cylinder wall over time, leads to premature piston failure if not re-honed for new pistons. All my dirt bikes have re-honed cylinders when the pistons are changed and my bikes have always been extremely powerful and full of torque.

Last edited:
Mills said:
I have the complete rear skid out of my '93 Exciter II available for $40 + shipping if you are interested. I can send you pic's if you want to see it.

If it's a 136 or 144, I'm interested ;)!

Finally got my front suspension back, and the rear end has been put back in. Overall, I am happy with the height of the rear end considering having raised the front 2 inches.

I'll post pics when I get a minute.

Dan

Dan: I used drop brackets from CB Performance (site sponsor) to brign the skid down and compensate for the height rise at the front from the XTC struts. It worked out great!

Here it is on it's first run. Damn does it ever run smooth. Almost did 60mph after a 3hour break in run. The wide camoplast skiis work amazing! So nice and smooth, and they lighten up the front end big time! Steering is really tight, suspension is smooth and plush :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBzwJtAQ_4A

Once I run through my current tank of gas, I should be able to run premium and get it up past 70mph.

It was -35c out (-31F), so I had to run it between noon and 3pm, or else it got even colder out.

Running BR9ES plugs, but haven't had a chance to check em. Even though Im running 24/1 in the gas tank and the oil in the reservoir seems to be draining, I never fouled any plugs.

Also, it seems like 7000rpm is the max that the engine will take right now, any more and it kind of bogs, so I didn't play around past 7K. :postwhore

I'll post some more video when I get the chance.

Cheers,

Update!

So, I started raising the rear end. Gonna make my own drop brackets. I already moved the front suspension bracket toward the front of the sled, and re-used one of the existing bracket holes. Now I have to make a bolt hole for the front shaft and then I'll be ready to do the back bolts.

I had to send out my cylinders to get re-sleeved, after checking clearances I found out one of my cylinders was ovaled, and not giving me any compression. I sent them out in January and got them back in time to see the season melt away. This year will be nice! No wonder my sled wouldn't go any faster than 60mph! Bloody thing should do atleast 90mph!

I post some pics of the lowering when I get a chance.

Back