My Sx500r 01' turns into a 700!

sxtheviper

Hi!

Ive started working on my SX500R 01’, Iam going to build it into a SX700R 01’. I will keep it 121”, but the plan is to build it into a 136” in the future.

I live in Norway, and the winter is right around the corner. So I really need to get the sled done soon.

This is what I started with. Bought it 1 ½ year ago. Nothing special with it, just blue handguards, black fishbones, low black windshield, black wheels in skid, and a black bellypad.

IM000081.jpg

IM000069-1.jpg

Bilde40.jpg

To build it into a 700 I did need a lot of parts. And thanks to Nicksxr here on TY, I got nearly all the parts I needed quickly.

Some of the needs for the work:
- Complete 700 engine.
- Runningboard coolers
- Rear cooler
- Front cooler
- Clutch set-up
- Chain and Gears
- Gauge pod
- Double headlight
- Tachometer
- Primary Clutch
- TeamRoller secondary
- Control panel
- Whole frame
- Windshield
- Motormounts
- +++

Thank you Kyle (Nicksxr) for selling me the most of the parts!

The frame and the skid on the 500’ where pretty damaged after my last ride this year. I was lucky, because my neighbour had a frame of a 00’ SRX in his garage. So I got the frame, and I gave him a primary clutch for his 99’ SRX 700.
This saved me from a lot of work. The skid i bought from a friend, its nearly never been used before.

This is how the sled is at the moment. Just need to mount the right side running board cooler and get a right side trailing arm to start with the rest.

HPIM4397.jpg

HPIM4398.jpg

IM000153.jpg

Right now Iam working on removing the blue paint from the rear frame, to get the alu-style.
I did try to polish the alu to get a image how it would be, and it looks great!

IM000133.jpg

I did re-paint the front springs white and the total exhaust system black.
I also had to paint the ski-mounts black and install new bolts because I broke one of the old ones.

IM000127.jpg

IM000126.jpg

IM000145.jpg

IM000136.jpg

I wonder how the Team roller will work? Anyone have a team on their sxr? And got some experience to share.

IM000125.jpg

My homemade mountain bar, just need the handlebar cover from a mtn.max to make it perfect. I have to move the mountain bar a little closer to the middle to make it stiffer, it seems a little strange now.
This also show the control panel from a 01’ 700.

IM000141.jpg

Painted the snowstoppers white and installed a double headlight and a gauge pod from a 01’ 700. Looks great!

IM000150.jpg

Did make a reinforcement to make the rear frame a little stronger at the back.

IM000143.jpg

IM000142.jpg

Just black wheels in the skid.

IM000129.jpg

More to come!

I will add some more info and pictures in a couple of days.

Good night!

- S.V
Norway

very nice, you got alot of work ahead of you. after polishing it for hours you are happy when it is done. been there done that. the supports in the frame looks really clean.

Look's nice I'm doing the same thing for some one I'm taking a twin 600 out and putting a 700 tripple in.

Simon,

its looking real good, kind of sad to see my old motor and clutch going into another sled.

guys, simon is a real stand up guy and would not hesitate back him up or sell him more stuff, he is honest and pays very quick, so if you are looking to sell him any parts. he is good.

"very nice, you got alot of work ahead of you. after polishing it for hours you are happy when it is done. been there done that. the supports in the frame looks really clean."

Thanks! Yes, i got some work ahead of me, but i kinda like to make things and have something to do when i got some free time.
Do you have any advice on polishing the tunnel?

I have some bad experience with the rear frame, especially with some yamaha's, thats why i added some reinforcements. I made them of some alu plates i had in the garage.

"Look's nice I'm doing the same thing for some one I'm taking a twin 600 out and putting a 700 tripple in."

Thank you! Its a lot of work, but you learn a lot of it.

"Simon,

its looking real good, kind of sad to see my old motor and clutch going into another sled.

guys, simon is a real stand up guy and would not hesitate back him up or sell him more stuff, he is honest and pays very quick, so if you are looking to sell him any parts. he is good."

Kyle,

Dont worry about the motor and the clutch, it will treat it like gold ;)!
Really looking forward to give it a ride on the snow.

Thanks for the support!
I was a little skeptical to buy from USA at first. The sellers in usa can easily trick you, keep the money and never send the parts.
Dont saying everybody is like this, but some of my friends have experienced that.
Ive got a lot of warnings on buying from over sea.
But this is not like Kyle, he tells you the truth and ship out the parts really quick. I have in all recived three packages from him, and just now iam buying some other parts.
I will recommend to buy from him if you need something!

Looks like alot of work,why didn't you just buy a 700???

Good question, one of the reasons was that i did really need a sled when i bought this 500. I couldnt find any Sxr 700 01's, because thats one of the greatest sleds yamaha ever made, IMO.
I tried to sell it half a year ago, but without result.
Then i desided to build it into a 700.

Alot of work, but i like it. Learn a lot of it.

- Simon. V
Norway

sxtheviper said:
Looks like alot of work,why didn't you just buy a 700???

Good question, one of the reasons was that i did really need a sled when i bought this 500. I couldnt find any Sxr 700 01's, because thats one of the greatest sleds yamaha ever made, IMO.
I tried to sell it half a year ago, but without result.
Then i desided to build it into a 700.

Alot of work, but i like it. Learn a lot of it.

i see

Got a quick question.

I did set the electrical system into the sled a couple of days ago and dont really know where these two connections should be. Does anyone know?

Right side of the sled. They come out along with the wire connection to the tail light. The rest of the connections goes to the enginge.

Bilde102.jpg

Bilde104.jpg

(Sorry for the bad pictures, but I only had my phone at the moment so had to use it.)

Thanks!

- S.V

Hi man! I don`t know about those wires but I just wanted to say hello and that you are doing a great job:). I`m also from Norway, live on Tjeldøya, an hour drive from Harstad. Where do you live?.

In a few weeks I will start working on my SRX, going to repaint it and also polish the foot boards++. How did you remove the paint?. If I don`t find some chemicals that kills the paint I think I will try to sandblast it.. ?.

Well.. . Keep up the good work! :)

kimoaj said:
Hi man! I don`t know about those wires but I just wanted to say hello and that you are doing a great job:). I`m also from Norway, live on Tjeldøya, an hour drive from Harstad. Where do you live?.

In a few weeks I will start working on my SRX, going to repaint it and also polish the foot boards++. How did you remove the paint?. If I don`t find some chemicals that kills the paint I think I will try to sandblast it.. ?.

Well.. . Keep up the good work! :)

Hi!
Thank you! :) Iam not sure where Tjeldøya is, but i know Harstad. I live in Nordreisa, a couple of hours from Tromsø.

Great! Then it seems like we both got some hours with work ahead of us. ;)!
Iam not sure of the name of the paint remover, but I will check on it when I get home from work and let you know.

Yes, and good luck to you with the SRX!

- S.V

Reimond said:
Tell those wire colours?

Might be for the voltage regulators...

I will check on the colours when i get home from work, can't really remember them. I thought it could be voltage regulators, but iam not sure.

If you take a look at this picture, you can see the "8EA3's" I think they are for the 00' and older SX's and SXR's. Correct me if Iam wrong.

http://parts.motorsportdealers.com/partimage.gifx?d=87298,2,71163815

- S.V

Hi man!

Ok man cool.. I bought my sled in Tromsø.. from a guy named Bjørn Valle.. doubt that you`ve heard of him.. now he rides a Summit 1000 with a long track.

So you removed the paint with chemicals?. I didn`t think that there excisted chemicals like that in crazy-enviroment-norway, hehe. The americans uses something called "aircraft paint remover" , maybe I should speak with a guy a know who works as a plane mechanic.. .

These days we will start removing the engine from a friends V-Max 4 750, toasted cylinder nr.1 on last seasons last ride, can`t wait to get started on it!:).

Wellwell here are some pictures from a few rides (last year) and some other shit.. http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/irisanett/
My webpage is www.djmongoriders.com

:)

Reimond said:
Tell those wire colours?

Might be for the voltage regulators...

Got the colours now.
Utennavn.jpg

- S.V

kimoaj said:
Hi man!

Ok man cool.. I bought my sled in Tromsø.. from a guy named Bjørn Valle.. doubt that you`ve heard of him.. now he rides a Summit 1000 with a long track.

So you removed the paint with chemicals?. I didn`t think that there excisted chemicals like that in crazy-enviroment-norway, hehe. The americans uses something called "aircraft paint remover" , maybe I should speak with a guy a know who works as a plane mechanic.. .

These days we will start removing the engine from a friends V-Max 4 750, toasted cylinder nr.1 on last seasons last ride, can`t wait to get started on it!:).

Wellwell here are some pictures from a few rides (last year) and some other shit.. http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/irisanett/
My webpage is www.djmongoriders.com

:)

Hi!
No, iam sorry, but I dont know him.

I did remove the paint with something called "Duxola Malingsfjerner". You have to use a brush to "paint" the frame with this paint remover. After a minute or so the paint will start to bubble, and you can scrape it of with something soft that dont make scratches in the alu or you can wash it of with a high pressure washer. You might have to repeat this two or three times.
I know there are diffrent types of paint remover here in Norway, but I have only used this one, and it works great for me.
Its in a round red metal box. Iam sure they sell it on every paint shop or so.

How did it happend?
Iam sure its alot of work on it.
Make sure to get it in shape before the snow gets here! Iam sure its right around the corner, or at least I hope so..! :)

Thanks for those fine pictures, they look great!
I didnt ride that much last year, and when i did ride, i usally forgot my camera at home. But this year it will be diffrent.

Let me know how the work on you SRX goes when you start on it, any thoughts about a worklog on it?

- S.V

(I did mount the right running board cooler and the engine today, and I will write some words and post some pictures of it tomorrow.)

Good night to you all!

HI,

First two pole connector is for Passenger grip warmer relay and second is for DC Back buzzer

So i guess you don't need these at all..

Reimond from Finland.

Reimond said:
HI,

First two pole connector is for Passenger grip warmer relay and second is for DC Back buzzer

So i guess you don't need these at all..

Reimond from Finland.

Hi!

Thank you very much!

- S.V

Back