My Sx500r 01' turns into a 700!

Hi man !

Cool.. !. I will go to my local paint shop and ask for it, thanks for the adivce:).

We actually don`t know why the V-Max 4 toasted the cylinder. It has 13.000kilometer on the clocks, but it should manage more then that. Some guys here at the forum suggested that it could be caused by clogged jets in the carb, could be.
I wonder if high milage/worn piston/ring that causes blowby can cause a ring/piston failure?.

Normally the season starts between November/December here. Last year when I bought my sled (25th of November, there was 3cm with snow). Two years ago when I bought my 1996 V-Max 600 XT, also on the 25th of November, there was enough snow to ride everywhere.. . Hard to say when the season will begin.. :). Oh by the way I also had an RX-1 in between the V-Max / SRX, I had three different sleds in one year.. hehe.

I will make a work log on the SRX yes:). Oh by the way today I ordered a used Bender can from a guy here at TYM:). Or, I will buy it when he tells me the shipping price, I guess it will be OK. Hope it will make it sound better?. And perform better in the powder?.

Nice to hear that you are making progress.. hope you made some notches around the engine mounting screws so that the clutches align correctly:). (might have to be adjusted after measuring since you put in another motor.. hehe).

Wellwell :)

OT:

Kimoaj.

I have Hauck 902cc BB kit with CDI and Bender quads (Vmax4) for sale if you interested. 1500€ + Shipping.

Parts in Finland

-Reimond.

Hi!

Yes, Iam sure they will have some sort of paint remover. No problem!

Its strange that it got a issue at just 13.000 kms, I dont think this happend because of a worn engine. Iam thinking the jets, but it can be other things.

Maybe you can tell by taking a look at the piston?
If you dont work a lot with problems like this i think it will be a little difficult to read the piston.
Found this on google: http://www.aati.com.au/hirth/how_to_read_pistons.htm

Well, before you even think about starting it, I would make sure I found the reason of this failure. Could save you a lot of money and work.
Make sure everything is clean and adjusted correct.
Good luck working on it! Iam sure the people here on TY will help in the progress.

Yes, its still time left to get our yammies up and running!
I have a feeling that the season will be a little late this year, but as always Iam a optimist :)

You really seems to be changing sleds often.:)
I bought my sled cirka 1 1/2 year ago, but after a while I started longing for some more fresh ponys.
Sold the Rx and the v-max?
Satisfied with the RX-1?

Great! Nothing is better than a worklog!
Iam sure you will get a sweet sound! Iam planning on buying a silencer to my sx, but my friend has a 00' sxr 700 with a Dyno port silencer and its almost too lound! Anyone know of any silencer with a little lower sound?

I will make sure the engine is correctly mounted and adjusted.
Havent done any adjustments yet, but I will do it when i get some parts fron Nicksxr here on TY. Thanks!

- S.V

kimoaj said:
Hi man !

Cool.. !. I will go to my local paint shop and ask for it, thanks for the adivce:).

We actually don`t know why the V-Max 4 toasted the cylinder. It has 13.000kilometer on the clocks, but it should manage more then that. Some guys here at the forum suggested that it could be caused by clogged jets in the carb, could be.
I wonder if high milage/worn piston/ring that causes blowby can cause a ring/piston failure?.

Normally the season starts between November/December here. Last year when I bought my sled (25th of November, there was 3cm with snow). Two years ago when I bought my 1996 V-Max 600 XT, also on the 25th of November, there was enough snow to ride everywhere.. . Hard to say when the season will begin... Oh by the way I also had an RX-1 in between the V-Max / SRX, I had three different sleds in one year.. hehe.

I will make a work log on the SRX yes. Oh by the way today I ordered a used Bender can from a guy here at TYM. Or, I will buy it when he tells me the shipping price, I guess it will be OK. Hope it will make it sound better?. And perform better in the powder?.

Nice to hear that you are making progress.. hope you made some notches around the engine mounting screws so that the clutches align correctly:). (might have to be adjusted after measuring since you put in another motor.. hehe).

Wellwell :)
;)!

Hi guys!

Sorry for being a little late with the pictures, but here are a few. Havent done much since last time. But I will have some time left to spend in the garage tomorrow i think.

HPIM4488.jpg

HPIM4452.jpg

HPIM4451.jpg

HPIM4449.jpg

HPIM4434.jpg

HPIM4446.jpg

Not very much, but its progress..
Will come back with some text and some more pictures later.

- S.V
Norway

Awsome job man!, this thing is going to be sweet when it is done!

I agree with you, the 01 SXR700 was one of the best yamaha's IMO, thing looked sooooo darn good, and it was at the peak of technology for that chassis, ie, twin bulb headlight, 300w coil.

You will have to let us know how the TEAM secondary does, always wanted one....

Hi man!

Nice to see that you are making progress:).

I agree that the V-Max 4 engine should manage more then 13.000km before breaking down. Today my friend removed the engine from the sled and delivered it to me:
Moon018Large.jpg

If you look closely you can see the good old v-max engine:
Moon019Large.jpg

(oh btw I don`t mean to "steal" your thread, sorry).

If I look in the exhaust port of cylinder nr 2, when the piston is at TDC, I look straight at the guidgeon pin, large pieces of the piston walls are missing. The top piston ring is bent up, looks crazy.
I will make an own worklog for the engine when we start tearing it apart, gees I look forward to digging into it:).

I sold the V-Max to a friend when the primary clucth went to "#¤%. The center bushing was worn out, I changed the rollers several times only to find out that they were fried after riding 10km. Replaced the primary with a comet, now it runs like a charm.

Bought the RX-1 when I was really un-happy, living in Narvik (I hated it) and was about to quit school, so the RX-1 basically saved my education, hehe. But, it was also expensive, that`s why I sold it.
I loved the sound, accleration, dependability (never and kind of hesitation), top speed and fuel consumption. Did not like the "tippyness", kind of unstabile when I hit bumps with one ski.

I`d like to get an RX-1 Warrior, mainly because of the low fuel consumption and the overall look of the sled. Bet it`s more stabile with the 345cm track. Man I love the 4 cylinder 4 stroke motorcycle sound coming out of the those large motorcycle-inspired outlets. Actually I think the rear end of the 03 RX-1 looks better then the never verions.

Well I gotta go to bed now ! :).

Ciaoooooooo

Last edited:
Yamahammer485 said:
Awsome job man!, this thing is going to be sweet when it is done!

I agree with you, the 01 SXR700 was one of the best yamaha's IMO, thing looked sooooo darn good, and it was at the peak of technology for that chassis, ie, twin bulb headlight, 300w coil.

You will have to let us know how the TEAM secondary does, always wanted one....

Thanks!

Thats true, it was a great sled, and it still is.
I belive i will keep this sled until it falls apart.

Once i get the trailing arm, i will finish the sled. Thats the only part that remains. And yes, of course. The ignition key, thats the only thing i was wrong about in this swap. I thought it was the same as the 500.

- S.V

Hi Kimoaj!

Thanks! Yes, Iam working on it :)

Nice vehicle, seems like a small diesel tractor to use on the farm?
Used to drive on like this when I was helping a friend on a farm.
Seems like it also can be of use in the snowmobile world.
Dont worry about stealing my thread, Id call it garage-talk! :)

Oush! Doesnt sounds too good.
I cant wait to see some pictures of this engine.
Cant really tell why this happend before seeing some pictures.
It could be a expensive repair, but it has to be done.

Oh, the primary clutch problem. Ive experienced that some times. Two primary clutches and one secondary clutch, on my neighbours srx, his sled eats clutches like butter!
Last time the primary clutch blow up and killed the secondary clutch and made a big hole in the shroud.
It must be some serious problems with it, but he dont really care about the sled that much. It will get pretty expensive in the future. He has built into 144", and that might be the reason why the driveshaft break one or two times in a season.

I got a 03' RX-1 Mountain for sale.
Its a great sled, but not much of a mountain sled.
Its rolled about 7000km, without touching anything on it.

The warrior seems to be a fine sled, 136" is just a perfect length.
A warrior with a turbo will do just fine :)
The motor-cycle sound is just awsome!

Good night!

- S.V

Hi man!

Several times I`ve read the the SRX 700 engine is one of the best Yamaha engines made. (except for the 98 that had the crank failure), I hope it`s true!.

How`s it going with the conversion sxtheviper?.

I will tear into the engine tomorrow morning, if nothing else turns up that is. Can`t wait. Nothing is like tearing into a broken motor.

I do think that the piston to cylinder clearance is WAY to great, will measure tomorrow when I get the jugs (that`s what the american call cylinders ,right?) and pistons diassembled.

So you are selling an RX-1 Mountain?. I`ve been looking for one for quite a while now, I still dream of having an RX-1. However, I bet that the RX-1 mountain will be "heavy" for me to ride since I`m only 67kg. How much are you asking?. There are many RX-1 MTNs for sale, many in the 60.000nkr range, really cheap!. (but I guess they haven`t paid the registration fee so that you can`t have plates on it).

I guess you are right about the warrior being the most "suitable" sled.

The little diesel tractor is an Avant, belongs to my friends dad. Uses it on the farm, handy veichle.

Wellwell look forward to seeing some more pics of the conversion!.

Ciao :)

Hi!

Yeah, ive also read that the SRX engine is one of the best engines. But it seems like his engine has a bad demon or so :)

The conversion is going great, but i havent had time to do much since last time, will add some pictures in the post. Just mounted the chaincase, and some other small parts. And done some work with the rear frame.

The piston to cylinder clearance might be the answer to the crash, and it most likely is. Thats the first thing i tought when you said that large parts of the piston skirt was missing. How is the status on the engine now?

Yes, I got one for sale. Havent really tought about the price yet. But my local dealer might want to change it into a Phazer Mtn.lite or a mulitpurpose.
Yeah, as you said, the rx1 mtn a little heavy. A damned job to get it loose when you are stuck in the deep snow. :) But when you learn to drive it, it become a little easier. But its still too heavy IMO.

Ive seen those RX1's, they are very cheap. But as you said, usally you cant get plates on it, since they haven't paid the reg.fee. Really hope the taxes for snowmobiles will lower in the future. Like its now, if you want a brand new sled, the cost will usally be over 23 000 $ here in Norway.

Simon

kimoaj said:
Hi man!

Several times I`ve read the the SRX 700 engine is one of the best Yamaha engines made. (except for the 98 that had the crank failure), I hope it`s true!.

How`s it going with the conversion sxtheviper?.

I will tear into the engine tomorrow morning, if nothing else turns up that is. Can`t wait. Nothing is like tearing into a broken motor.

I do think that the piston to cylinder clearance is WAY to great, will measure tomorrow when I get the jugs (that`s what the american call cylinders ,right?) and pistons diassembled.

So you are selling an RX-1 Mountain?. I`ve been looking for one for quite a while now, I still dream of having an RX-1. However, I bet that the RX-1 mountain will be "heavy" for me to ride since I`m only 67kg. How much are you asking?. There are many RX-1 MTNs for sale, many in the 60.000nkr range, really cheap!. (but I guess they haven`t paid the registration fee so that you can`t have plates on it).

I guess you are right about the warrior being the most "suitable" sled.

The little diesel tractor is an Avant, belongs to my friends dad. Uses it on the farm, handy veichle.

Wellwell look forward to seeing some more pics of the conversion!.

Ciao :)

Hi again!

I havent done much since last time. Mounted the chaincase, belt and done some work on the rear frame.

I had to take the RX-1 in for a quick polish and make it look fresh again, since the local dealer might want to change it into a Phazer mtn.lite or a mulitpurpose.

I let the pictures tell you the rest :)
Its late now, so i will be back tomorrow with some more info on the progress.

HPIM4554.jpg

HPIM4550.jpg

HPIM4535.jpg

HPIM4525.jpg

HPIM4524.jpg

As you can see here, I havent done any polish work yet. Just removing the last bit of the paint.

Hi man!

Nice pictures:). Cool to see garage pictures! . What do you work with by the way?.
When are you expecting to have the SX700 up`n running?.

So you think the RX-1 is a little hard to manouver ?. After riding a little on my friends RS Vector MTN I noticed that I got tired in my arms. Although the better comfort almost made me forget it.. hehe.
I had huge freezing problems last year on my SRX, several times I simply had to stop beause I was freezing so much on my fingers. My hand warmers doesn`t work, and I have a low windscreen, so when I cross a lake in 120km/h in -15degrees, I freeze like hell!.

I hope the only thing being wrong with the hand warmers are the grips them self, I ordered new blew ones from Rich. (hehe, I`m not a fan of figuring out problems by replacing parts, but once in a while I give it a go, hehe).

Are you going to use Autosol to polish your tunnel?.
I`ve ordered Simichrome from srx2000 here at the forum, hope it will work good. When I saw his outcome with the simichrome I just had to try it.. even though I know Autosol can do the business.

Well.. goodnight.

Hi!

Hehe, yeah. Just had to take some garage pictures, since i havent done much on the sled lately. So I can keep the worklog alive.:)
Ive just bought the last parts i need from Kyle here on TY, so when they arrives i guess it will take another 2-3 days until its done.
Right now Iam just taking a year at school. Done some work as a car mechanic and carpenter once in a while.

Well, i wont say its hard to manouver, but it sure a lot harder than my sxr.
Yes, the comfort is alot better on the rx.
Ive experienced the freezing. I didnt have warmers on the 500 and it sure got cold sometimes. Thats why i bought a set of blue sportech handguards.
They take away the wind and they look great.
But I think I will add some warmers this season, it think i have a set somewhere in the garage.

I got alot of Autosol, but Ive seen the results with the Simichrome and I think thats the way to go. The Autosol sure is great, but i think the Simichrome can do a little better. Just my thought by taking a look at the pictures. It would be great if you could send me some pictures of your tunnel when your done.

Simon.

kimoaj said:
Hi man!

Nice pictures:). Cool to see garage pictures! . What do you work with by the way?.
When are you expecting to have the SX700 up`n running?.

So you think the RX-1 is a little hard to manouver ?. After riding a little on my friends RS Vector MTN I noticed that I got tired in my arms. Although the better comfort almost made me forget it.. hehe.
I had huge freezing problems last year on my SRX, several times I simply had to stop beause I was freezing so much on my fingers. My hand warmers doesn`t work, and I have a low windscreen, so when I cross a lake in 120km/h in -15degrees, I freeze like hell!.

I hope the only thing being wrong with the hand warmers are the grips them self, I ordered new blew ones from Rich. (hehe, I`m not a fan of figuring out problems by replacing parts, but once in a while I give it a go, hehe).

Are you going to use Autosol to polish your tunnel?.
I`ve ordered Simichrome from srx2000 here at the forum, hope it will work good. When I saw his outcome with the simichrome I just had to try it.. even though I know Autosol can do the business.

Well.. goodnight.

Hi fellows!

Ive thinking of adding a low blue windshield, blue/black hooks, higher the handlebar and do some running board reinforcements to the sled. Any ideas of what reinforcement i should do? The best would be if I could make something myself. Since Ive added the running board coolers from a srx, the rear fishbone mount wont fit. The coolers is too wide.

Ive also tought about changing the track, but I think I can wait until i convert it to 136". Then add some pipes, new skis and a viper seat.

Simon.

Hi man!

What parts did you get from Kyle ?. I don`t what I would have done if it hadn`t been for the nice guys in US giving us cheap parts:).
I`ve tried autosol several times, it works great, but I wanted to use the same stuff as the "pro`s " use, hehe. But I guess the polish itself isn`t the one playing the big role, it`s the effort put into the job that makes the result. But they said that the simichrome left a ""hinne"" that prevented the rivets from rusting and I thought it sounded cool.

I`m going to start working on the SRX tomorrow, can`t wait.
What do you have left on the SX?.

Well I gotta go!

Ciao

sxtheviper said:
Hi!

Hehe, yeah. Just had to take some garage pictures, since i havent done much on the sled lately. So I can keep the worklog alive.:)
Ive just bought the last parts i need from Kyle here on TY, so when they arrives i guess it will take another 2-3 days until its done.
Right now Iam just taking a year at school. Done some work as a car mechanic and carpenter once in a while.

Well, i wont say its hard to manouver, but it sure a lot harder than my sxr.
Yes, the comfort is alot better on the rx.
Ive experienced the freezing. I didnt have warmers on the 500 and it sure got cold sometimes. Thats why i bought a set of blue sportech handguards.
They take away the wind and they look great.
But I think I will add some warmers this season, it think i have a set somewhere in the garage.

I got alot of Autosol, but Ive seen the results with the Simichrome and I think thats the way to go. The Autosol sure is great, but i think the Simichrome can do a little better. Just my thought by taking a look at the pictures. It would be great if you could send me some pictures of your tunnel when your done.

Simon.

Simon, the project is looking good ;)!

the parts should be here to my house monday, then i will get them repackged and sent out, so they should go out by tuesday or wednesday.

thanks
kyle

Hi Kimoaj!

Well, I mainly bought every part i required from Kyle.
- Complete engine (Exhaust, carbs, wires, motormounts ++)
- Team roller sec.
- Rear cooler
- The black cover for the 01' headlight
- 01' headlight
- Tachometer
- Control panel
- Primary clutch
- A new trailing arm (+ The sticker for left and right side.)
+ some other parts for a friend.

Yeah, i agree. If i couldnt have bought the engine and the other stuff from people in US, I am sure I would have bought a new snowmobile instead. But since Kyle told me in my post that he had a engine, i just had to change the engine. i couldnt resist.

Yes, I just have experience with autosol and it works great. But it could be exciting to try something new.
Hehe, you might be right there. I belive you have to spend some looong hours in the garage doing polish to get good results. But I would say its worth it.:)
When i did rebuild my the frame, i did use steel rivets with some sort of alu alloy. They are strong, doesnt "eat" the alu and they doesnt rust.

There isnt that much left on the sx, just need to mount the skid, trailing arms, skis, shroud and do some adjustments. And of course there will be some unforeseen work. But I just have the easy part left.

Simon.

kimoaj said:
Hi man!

What parts did you get from Kyle ?. I don`t what I would have done if it hadn`t been for the nice guys in US giving us cheap parts:).
I`ve tried autosol several times, it works great, but I wanted to use the same stuff as the "pro`s " use, hehe. But I guess the polish itself isn`t the one playing the big role, it`s the effort put into the job that makes the result. But they said that the simichrome left a ""hinne"" that prevented the rivets from rusting and I thought it sounded cool.

I`m going to start working on the SRX tomorrow, can`t wait.
What do you have left on the SX?.

Well I gotta go!

Ciao

Hi Kyle!

Thanks! ;)!

Thats great news! Will be great to get the sled together again.
Just need to get skid on and trailingarms so I can take it down to my local yamaha dealer to get the framenumber from the old frame to the new one.
I suppose the police wont like that Iam driving a 01' sxr500, with a 99-00' srx 700 frame (Diffrent framenumber) and a 01' sxr 700 engine.
So I think its best to make it legal.

Simon.

nicksxr said:
Simon, the project is looking good ;)!

the parts should be here to my house monday, then i will get them repackged and sent out, so they should go out by tuesday or wednesday.

thanks
kyle

Hi fellows!

The parts (Rightside trailingarm, left and right side decals) Kyle shipped out arrived on Monday, so now Iam cleaning the left side trailingarm and making it ready for painting. Got the orginal "pro action" decals so Iam trying to make them as orginal as possible since i really like the orginal look.
Ive been working very little on the sled because of work, but the skid and shroud is in place.

That means that the only thing left is the trailingarms before i can call the sled complete again. Sorry for not being very active in this worklog, but I got a lot of work to do these days. It seems a like I will have some time to work on the sled this week.
Iam planning to have the sled ready around saturday, at least thats my aim.

Got a very bad picture of how i looks right now. I will get better ones tomorrow.

1111.jpg

- Found a "problem", the tail light on the 01' and newer ones seems to have 4 electrical wires, and the old ones have 3 wires. The problem is that my seat and tail light just got a connector with 3-pins and the wires from the engine has 4-pins. Anyone know what the 4 wires are for? I have used a gauge and I have found out where the break light, ground and tail light is. But i cant figure out what the last one is for.

- Last time i did adjust the engine in the right position on my old 500 i did use a "clutch-ruler" from my local yamaha dealer to get it right.
I then had orginal clutches, but now I got a Team roller as I said before. The question will then be, can i still use the same "clutch-ruler" to make it right?
Dont know if the team roller has the same dimensions as the orginal secondary.

- How much free-play should the team roller have on the axel? Right now there are no free-play, and there is 3-4 shims.

That was all for now.

Simon.

Hi man !
Nice to hear that you will be up`n running soon:).
Man wasn`t it expensive to ship the engine all the way from us?. With crank and everything?. What about the customs?.
Will be getting parts for the V-Max 4 , valued 900$ so I hope the taxes don`t open the package.. hehe .
I don`t have an answer to your questions, sorry.
What kind of paint are you going to use on the trailing arms?.
Kind of cool that you keep the 500 decals, might surprise someone when you leave them in the dust (snow hehE).

Wellwell goodnight:)

Back