My Sx500r 01' turns into a 700!

Hi there!

It wasnt so expencive as i tought at first. The shipping for everything was a little above $ 300 (2000 NOK) if i remember right. There are no customs on used engines as Iam told. The value added tax (Merverdiavgift) was at about $ 100 :) The only things i paid, was: Shipping, price on the parts and the value added tax. The package was valued $ 400. The weight was nearly 70 kg. Hehe, i was lucky. They didnt do anything with my package. Let me know if you want some tips, I can explain more over PM if you want to.

To paint the trailing arms i use a orginal silver paint, I bought it from my local yamaha dealer. I have painted the trailing arm now, but iam not satisfied with it. It seems like the paint has had a reaction with the basic. Will take a look at it tomorrow and deside what to do.

Hehe, yes. The 500 decal is staying on. It will be fun racing this winter :)
And of course the police hopefully wont notice its a 700, in the paper the sled still is a 500 you know :) I have to make up a really good story if they desicide to open the shroud and notice the 3-syl 700.
Time will show.

Well, i think i have to add some pictures now. I havent been too active in this worklog as you can see.

Talk to you soon!

kimoaj said:
Hi man !
Nice to hear that you will be up`n running soon:).
Man wasn`t it expensive to ship the engine all the way from us?. With crank and everything?. What about the customs?.
Will be getting parts for the V-Max 4 , valued 900$ so I hope the taxes don`t open the package.. hehe .
I don`t have an answer to your questions, sorry.
What kind of paint are you going to use on the trailing arms?.
Kind of cool that you keep the 500 decals, might surprise someone when you leave them in the dust (snow hehE).

Wellwell goodnight:)

Hi again!

This time i have made some progress. The engine is up'n running now and everything works really great! Still have some small works left thought.
- Have to make a homemade connector to the tail light.
- Re-paint the trailingarm
- Have to buy some alu to make the rear part of the frame, the one the rear cooler is mounted on.
- Do something about the fishbones.
- Do something about the cooling system under the shroud. It seems like the air intake to the brake is in conflict with the cooling hose (right?).

After these things i think i can call the sled complete.

I also need to buy a black windshield and handwarmers.

Ive tried to paint the other trailingarm, but it seems like the basic has had a reaction with the silver paint. Have to check it out tomorrow.

I let the pictures talk for themself.

Engine looks great, almost done under the shroud now.

HPIM4635.jpg

HPIM4632.jpg

Skid is on, still have to do some adjustments there.

HPIM4642.jpg

Polish work also remains.

HPIM4667.jpg

As you can see, this is the fishbone Ive used before. But it seems like the rear mounting hole in the fishbone is in conflict with the running board cooler. I have changed the coolers to the wide ones, like on SRX's. Any suggestions?

HPIM4669.jpg

The trailing arm i bought from Kyle, looks really good.

HPIM4680.jpg

This is the tail light connector i was talking about. My tail light just got three wires and this one got four. Any suggestions on this problem?

HPIM4670.jpg

The adjustments on the clutches is finished. I guess i have to re-adjust them after a ride or two?

HPIM4672.jpg

Bought some blue diodes, since my last ones was red :(

HPIM4677.jpg

Some pictures of the sled.

HPIM4657.jpg

HPIM4651.jpg

HPIM4675.jpg

Well, this was it for now. So when the trailingarm is done, i can take the first ride with it. It has been + 5 C* all day, so it looks really bad for the snow.

See you soon!

Simon.

where do you get the blue diodes from and how to install them? i think they look so sweet!!!!!!

Do you know if that sticker is removable? I mean that you can take it off?

Exciterfan said:
I'd recommend you find someone to make you a "500" sticker to replace the "700" one on the head of the motor. THEN you'll be in stealth mode!!!

Looks really good.

Worklog:

Ive checked out the trailing arm now and I decided to re-paint it. Will re-paint it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi man!

Nice to see that you are making progress on the sled, the engine compartment looks fresh. I`m kind of amazed that you got a 70kg package from the US, very much. Must have taken ages??.

I`ve waited over a month now on my Bender canister from Canada, but now I know it`s in Norway and on its way home to me.
Sorry to hear that the trailing arm paint is giving you a hard time, you`re using spray can`s right?.
Guess you only got the paint from Yamaha and used a universal primer?. I`ve rarely had problems with paint-reactions but it does happen and it`s annoying. Most likely it will happen again even if you repaint.. .

When it comes to the decals, they are pretty easy to remove, atleast they was on my SRX.

Wellwell

Hi!

Thanks!
It didnt take as long as i expected, the package came in to the shipping company at friday morning i think and they sendt it out on monday. I decided to send it by plane since thats the fastest way since they send packages every monday. It was when the package arrived in Norway the waiting started. The shipping company had many of their people on vacation at that moment (At least thats what they said) so I had to wait two weeks because of the people. That means if i would have ordered the same package now, I guess it would have taken 1 - 1 1/2 week or so.

WOW! Thats a long time..! What company did you send it with?

Yes, just spray cans. I did try to paint it, and as you said it happend again. Thats right, using the "Quick Universal grunning". Any suggestions on this problem? Maybe try to use another primer?

I will take a look at the decals and see. Would have been fun having a "500" sticker on the engine :)

kimoaj said:
Hi man!

Nice to see that you are making progress on the sled, the engine compartment looks fresh. I`m kind of amazed that you got a 70kg package from the US, very much. Must have taken ages??.

I`ve waited over a month now on my Bender canister from Canada, but now I know it`s in Norway and on its way home to me.
Sorry to hear that the trailing arm paint is giving you a hard time, you`re using spray can`s right?.
Guess you only got the paint from Yamaha and used a universal primer?. I`ve rarely had problems with paint-reactions but it does happen and it`s annoying. Most likely it will happen again even if you repaint.. .

When it comes to the decals, they are pretty easy to remove, atleast they was on my SRX.

Wellwell

Hi again after a short pause!

I havent really been active on the forums lately, sorry for that. But now I'am back again.
A lot has happend since last time I added a post here on TY; Sled is up'n running, a lot of snow has landed on the ground, got a new sled in the family, my friend with the 136" sxr 700 had some problems, ++. Will get back to it later on. Don't get angry about quantity of the pictures :)

First I can add some pictures of how the weather looks like just now. A week ago it was even more, my 121" sxr 700 even got stuck on a flat ground.
Photo-0095.jpg

Photo-0092.jpg

Photo-0094.jpg

Here you can see the new sled we just got, sold the Rx1 mtn and bought a 05' Mach Z 1000 SDI, extended to 136" / 2". We just mounted a renegade "rear-end" on it, a great sled.
I've already managed to blow my 1st clutch-belt on this sled. But I've just ordered a float-kit for the secondary, hope it will do the trick.

Well, back to the my sled again. The sled is as i said up'n running and its running really good!
I didnt have to touch a single screw on the sled after it started, I'am really happy about that. This time I got a lot of pictures since I've been inactive for a while.

The clutch set-up and jetting is all by turk and the sled feels really crisp.
Photo-0083.jpg

Photo-0060.jpg

Photo-0065.jpg

Photo-0063.jpg

Photo-0061.jpg

Bought a new windshield from my local dealer. unfortunately the shop has closed for good now. But i picked up some rumours about a new yamaha dealer, i really hope it will open again.

Photo-0028.jpg

Photo-0026.jpg

Photo-0024.jpg

Photo-0013.jpg

Hehe, found nice and easy way to use the "car-lift" as a "snowmobile-lift".

Photo-0015.jpg

Photo-0016.jpg

Got a damaged XR-s in a couple of days ago, the owner had crashed into a ice block on the river. Both a-arms and the "stab-arm" on the right side where broken. The shock also got bent. But got new a-arms really fast, just the shock left before its ready for the woods again.

One of the guys working in the shop had his polaris in for a paint job.
Some coating with clear-paint on the shroud, and a very nice mixture of clear-paint and a little black for the headlight. Turned out really nice. Sooty-headlight.
Photo-0012.jpg

Photo-0011.jpg

Photo-0009.jpg

My friend with the 136" 00' sxr 700 got a few problems. We found two cracks in his W-arm, his belt just blew on our last trip. That caused some serious problems. When the belt blew it twirled the speedo-wire into the primary clutch, but thats not all, the speedo-wire were assembled together with the electrical wires on the shroud. In a strange way, the belt has managed to pull the speedo-wire, electrical wires and the wire holding the shroud when opening it into the clutch. So he lost his headlight and instruments in the middle of the mountain in the dark, he had to ride carefully behind me all the way home. His clutchcover also got some damages, a few cracks.
We also found out that the ball bearing at the speedo-side was defect.

We're planning on fixing it later today.

Photo-0017.jpg

Photo-0018.jpg

Photo-0079.jpg

Photo-0022.jpg

This is both sleds ready for a ride two weeks ago.
Photo-0003.jpg

Photo-0002.jpg

When we had been riding a while, we sow a huge fire in the middle of the wood. When we got there a artic cat were on fire. I think it was a 136" prowler or something. Luckily no one got hurt, just a few "fire-marks" on the owners eyebrows and in his face. Some burnt hair also.
Don't have a clue how the fire started, but the artics sure burn pretty good:)
Wonder how they got the name "firecat", hehe..
Photo-0006.jpg

Back