SRX 1108 Race Sled Buildup

Has the sx base been the same from '97 through the Viper? It looks like you had to cut out part of your PTO bulk head support to fit your PTO pipe. what did you do to reinforce that area from twist if any?

The Viper is not a SX base. The Viper uses virtually the same crankcase dimensions as a SRX. The SX base had some small updates, but was virtually the same from 1997-2001 (SX & SXr models) and if I remember right the Mountain Max ran all the way until 2005?

I have a 70mm stroke SRX motor and you would have to start cutting & welding on the crankcase to go any bigger.

valin said:
Here's the hood after being clearcoated. It really brought out the colour. We are going to be doing the wetsanding today and then buff it tomorrow.
Great paint work ... the grills painted black would set it off as well.

Yes, I had to cutout part of the PTO side bulkhead, partly so that the pipes would clear the shock tower, and partly to lift the motor up enough to fit the enormous float bowls on the CPC carbs. I did not cut out alot, and I will not be building up the area to regain some strength unless it becomes an issue.

The hood and guage cluster have now been wetsanded, and 1/2 buffed. It's coming together nicely. We will probably be finished on Sunday night.

Yes some straight bars to hold on to!lol I was thinking out loud about the spring in the rear could be shorter and lighter if the bars were adjustable makeing the shock bottom out on the spring to help stop transfer or adjustabile with a longer spring for shock preload.It looks like you have your prefered set up already.FAST

I'm trying to find some lightweight parts for the rear susp. Everytime I take the suspension out I can't believe the rediculous weight of it. You have to be able to shed 40 lbs off of it.

I have had the rails powdercoated, so I am not going to mill them out. I noticed moutain performance builds a lightweight suspension kit for it, with a Warm, cross shaft, etc. They claim a weight savings of 30 lbs. with the base kit. $849 is a bit pricey though.

I installed the hood today. It looks incredible (to me anyways). I have a few fittment issues. The motor sits so high that the PTO spark plug hits the vent that is closest, so some minor trimming will be required there. I cannot fit the headlight in there because the other spark plugs sit so high. I am going to have to cut out the entire headlight (which i was planning on doing anyways), just leaving the 3 mounting points, and the front part of it in there, covered with a black headlight cover.

I will have the hood completely assembled and finished on Tuesday. We still have to finish buffing the guage console and windshield. I'll post pics on Tuesday.

valin said:
I'm trying to find some lightweight parts for the rear susp. Everytime I take the suspension out I can't believe the rediculous weight of it. You have to be able to shed 40 lbs off of it.

If your making it a prostock sled how come you don't put a 30lb wahl skid in there and some prostock shocks are 3lbs for the pair for the front there 125.00us and the stock front shock weighs 6lbs each.

Reimond I would use price cylinders in aheartbeat but I believe it's mark at price who does the porting that's what I don't trust he can make some dyno power but it only last a few runs he is very unreliable engine builder.

Price didn't build the motor. I wouldn't have price build anything. Their newer castings are extremely nice. Their old stuff was a bit scary.

I am not building a prostocker. I am going to run in the Improved 1107 class up here. I'm sure the rules are much different from down there. I can't run a Wahl skid in my class. I have to stick to OEM rails and suspension characteristics, OEM seat and hood, no lightweight drive or jackshaft. No short skis. However, I am able to add lightweight suspension parts. I'm going to have to take off the prostock shocks, as I am already getting flack over them, and they are not legal :)

Anyways, here we go. I finished the hood today, and installed it, as well as the guages. I had to modify the headlight quite a bit so that it would clear the motor, but it worked out well.

All that is left to do is the 2" handlebar riser and straightbars, mount the belt cover, and install some rings that I am having made out of billet aluminum to go around the side exit stingers. I also have to have a plate built out of billet to replace the tail light. It will be the same shape, just flat and polished of course :)

The pics are a bit dark, but here you go.

Attachments

• DSCN0272.jpg
    DSCN0272.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN0274.jpg
    DSCN0274.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN0276.jpg
    DSCN0276.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 141
Look's sweet.i though you where building a prostock because of the fuel tank that is illegal under isr rules for improve stock.

Here's a pic of the guages. I'll leave the tach and speedo in there for this year.

Handlebars would be nice. I hate waiting for parts!

Attachments

• DSCN0277.jpg
    DSCN0277.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 84
Reimond I had Mark build me a 1000 srx and it made 245hp. With some different pipes I could probably get into the low 250's. Mark fitted the pipes and hacked them pretty bad. I think 260 is pushing it for a 1000.

Reimond, start a thread in the srx/viper section on it, I have some things for you to check. it would also be helpfull for you to put up a copy of the dyno sheet and information as to what jetting etc , also what you guys have tried, I have a few ideas to maybe help you.

Back