Anybody from MN for a road trip...? To the UP.

jwifferdill said:
At some point I too am going to need to venture to the UP it seems. The problem being my snowmobile remains north of Brainerd and I don't have the means to get it down to the Twin Cities to meet anyone and head out. I'd likely have to leave from up there, as the sled and all my gear stays there. Usually I'm not forced to have to trailer to find snow, and this season started off with promise but has gone south in a hurry!

Isn't that the truth.

Someone pound out dates for a boondocking - MN folk in Michigan trip. Wife and I might be up for that. Sure is closer than going to Cooke, Snowies, etc... which is what we are thinking right now.

I will be able to headup the weekend of Feb. 28 or the weekend of March 14., Maybe do like Thursday night thru Sunday. I got a pretty flexible work schedule. Or let me know what you think, I only have to arrange with the BOSS since she has to take days off to take care of the little one.

Last edited:
March 14 would probably work for me. Gauge some interest and let me know and I can take the time off and figure out how I'm going to get there.

Let me check on distances and maybe I can pick you up or something.....Is it just you...? Any chance we can meet somewhere and drive from there...? I'm around Lake Minnetonka.
You could even take my trailer before then and we can arrange to meet somewhere....? I'm also thinking I have to go look at a job in Becker, maybe I can pick up your sled then......?

Somehow we can figure something out....

Nick

My sled stays up kinda by where Ryan B lives and I drive an 09 Honda Civic. Needless to say I won't be pulling it with that, but do have access to a trailer and probably a tow vehicle. Who knows, my brother may also want to go along as well and he's got a truck. I'll check it out this week, but I'm confident it will somehow work out. It needs to!

I appreciate the offer, but I think it is way out of the way to drive north and then head east to the UP. The sled is stored about 2.5 hours from Duluth and driving up from the Twin Cities to Backus takes 3 hours, so it would be a roundabout way to Michigan. I'll do some investigating and let you know. Like I said before, I'm usually not in this kind of predicament as we usually just ride out the back door.

Yes I see it is kinda far away, I mapquest it....Well let me know how it goes and if it happens that you are going alone we can meet somwehere to ride 1 vehicule and 1 trailer for both...

After the other guys reply on the date I will start looking for lodging....

Nick

Last time I was there was the winter of 07' and you can pretty much buy them anywhere....I used to get them at a gas station. Back then they where 35 bucks...I'm sure it when up by now...Unless they have any new rules/laws that was all you need or I should said we need.

Nick

Michigan has a $25 trail permit. You can buy them at most gas stations. The gas station I work at part time has them. And we're right next to the trail heads.

Sounds good Drew...Trail passes are on you then ;)!

See I'm trying ti put a trip so we can make you put some miles on that sled...How is that weekend of March 14 looking for ya ?

Nick

My spring break starts the weekend before that, and I'm heading home the 8th, and will either be back the 13th or the 14th. If you guys plan on coming up, I'll make sure I'll leave my sled up here and not bring it home with me. Yeah less than 200 miles this year is pretty pathetic for the the area I live in. I wish I had money to buy all of ya a trail permit, but that up and coming expense has got me watching my pennies.

snowpunisher said:
Let stick to Michigan then!
But I'm already set to ride in Wisconsin, LOL. I did manage to get it down to under $1 per mile for my pass, however. All kidding aside I think it is a very good idea for us MN riders to take a little road trip to find snow, especially if we have a guy who can show us around!

Hopefully he can do it that weekend....? (Dirtjumper, I mean)
Ryan, how is that weekend looking for you...?

How many days are you guys thinking...From like Thursday night till Sunday? More, less ? That could give us at least 2 full days of riding.....Any special request for hotels.....? I can start looking and see if we can get a group discount....

Nick

Last edited:
Last year goal 1000 miles fell short with 700 miles =300
This year goal 1000 miles only at 400 miles =====+600
Grand total =============================900 miles
HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU HAVE?
:letitsnow

Well the the 14th will work for me. However, that is crunch time for the clean snow challenge which starts on the 16th, but ill still beable to ride. I'll be back in MI on the 13th probably (maybe the 12th), and will have the sled ready to test.

Back