2000 SRX summer build

Here are some of the piston sleves. I just took pics of one side of each piston because both side of the piston pin were near identical in looks. I didn't notice any hair line cracks or vertical lines. Also how is my blow by?

004-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

006-2.jpg

Last edited:

Ok, guys this is the first motor I have taken apart and taking a look at so I need your help in gauging how everything looks or if I need to do anything to the motor. The jugs all looked great they all still had cross hatching with very litle wear showing. Also the rod beerings all looked great no signs of heat. The only thing I will be adding to change engine performance will be v force 3 reeds. If you need more pics let me know.

i dont think the vforce reeds are gonna help i have seen alot with chipping petals ....and i think i read somewere stock is the way to go ....i am no motor expert the blowby looks heavy and the oil on the heads looks a little thick ....

Last edited:
T.S.U.Filmz said:
Expert please tell me why i would need heat shields when i have ceramic coated pipes? the coating holds the heat in why do i need to put the shields back on. no point for me to cover up that awesome looking coating with the shields.

Funny you say that because before I had my Viper pipe coated I did temp reading on the heat shielded pipe vs with it coated. The shielded pipe read 30deg colder than the "awesome" ceramic coating and that was taking readings at the outlet of the pipe where the shield dosent actually cover the pipe. Both test readings were performed on the same day after a full warm up, riding the sled for a few miles and letting it idle for about 2-3 minutes after the ride. So IMO ceramic coating a pipe/pipes that has a insulated shield like on the SRX and Viper is more for looks than actual function. So for less than $20 and some elbow grease I can polish the aluminum shields to a mirror like finish vs spending $200+ for a coating that wont polish up like aluminum will.

BTW I dont read anywhere, where you mentioned you have ceramic coated pipes, so how was I supposed to know that?

Took everything up to my parts store Lakes Motorsports and had them take a look at everything. They basically said everything looks good you may need rings. I left everthing up there to get mic'ed.

did you use an eletric sander for the 400 grit and up ? or you did it by hand ? that looks amazing. Great work .

Found out today I need new pistons. The more I look into this sled it feels as if it odometer is not right. 3600 mi and needing new pistons?

New pistons on order I ended on going W/ SPI, They will be in by the end of this month. Started putting plastic back on. Ran into a snag W/ putting rivets in where it is plastic to plastic where a backer is needed. The rivets didn't seem to be long enough. I'm currently trying to figure this out W/ Ding right now. Snice that is on hold I started into the rear skid and what a mess. The previous owner had a whole mix of homemade parts put back on the proaction. So for now it is apart and parts are going to powdercoat. When it comes to putting it back together I'm definiatly going to need your guys help, too many washers backers spacers to rember what goes where and now I have to also replace all the crap that was homemade.

Got some parts from powdercat and my pipes from ceramic coat today. Still waiting on radious rods trailering arms and took in my rear skid parts to be powdercoated today.
007-4.jpg

oem pistons are the way to go cause they dont swell as fast as aftermarket as they heat up ....and they run a tighter tolerance
00SRXWHERRY said:
New pistons on order I ended on going W/ SPI, They will be in by the end of this month. Started putting plastic back on. Ran into a snag W/ putting rivets in where it is plastic to plastic where a backer is needed. The rivets didn't seem to be long enough. I'm currently trying to figure this out W/ Ding right now. Snice that is on hold I started into the rear skid and what a mess. The previous owner had a whole mix of homemade parts put back on the proaction. So for now it is apart and parts are going to powdercoat. When it comes to putting it back together I'm definiatly going to need your guys help, too many washers backers spacers to rember what goes where and now I have to also replace all the crap that was homemade.

Well got the rest of my parts back from Custom Concepts of Detroit. Here's some pics. Also I started putting the rear skid back together today. I will have a post in the SRX section on how it's going.

001-6.jpg

002-6.jpg

Ok it's been a while. Some updates:
-I'm still waiting for my pistons to come in
-Got the rear suspension almost all put back together and rebuilt by BTV standards. I'm waiting on the pin berrings to come in for the front shock to finish the upgrades. There is a thread in the SRX sexction on that build.
-Got all the plastic belly pans back on Thank you Ding on getting me the longer rivets.
-Got the dash surround, Viper gas tank, seat and rear plastic all fitted wired and bolted in.
-I started putting the front suspension back together today as well.
-I also picked up an almost brand new 2001 hood for dirt cheap to put on as well, it only had 700mi on it for 300 bucks. My other hood was starting to spider crack around the hinges and it was going to be too expensive to repair.

004-7.jpg

003-7.jpg

Back