optimistic pre-season srx project

meat, its a 5hp briggs, its going now purs like a kitten, i think i just had some gunk get lodged in the main circuit, i pressurized the tank and gas came shooting through since then been fine

spent today polishing the tunnel
DSCN1685.jpg

DSCN1684.jpg

came out pretty good, probably should of had the flash off for the pics

didn't have much time on it today, drained the old gas and put it the truck, still had 10 gallons in it. then i changed the pickup filter. what a pita that is. you'd think yamaha would of made the flang and hole for the pickup big enough for the filter, wasted 45 min at least trying to fish it thru the filler hole, finally got it but is there a better way?

Stagg, the sled is looking very good, nice job!!! It would be worth it to remove the water pump seal. I found on my engine that the washer seal on the impeller failed causing the impeller shaft to rust up badly. Eventually this would have caused the main water pump seal to fail. Worth the time to check it, you'll have to repalce the washer seal.

thanks rx1jim, yeah everything on the engine will be brand new top to bottom, all wearable parts and seals anyway, still have to split the cases and get my crank out, one rod bearing has a dry spot in it so i'm having the crank rebuilt

Stagg, Where can I pick up the supplies I will need to polish the tunnel? I have no experience with polishing and need to pickup the wheels, compound, etc.. I am going to strip and polish the tunnel. Hopefully I can get it as good looking as yours. Thanks!!

sears or lowes, if you want to walk in someplace and buy, eastwood.com will get you more for your money but you'll have to wait and pay shipping, i buy alot from them so i joined their buyers club its like 20-30 bucks a year and all you orders are free shipping, i went brown emery, white rouge, then green jewelers rouge and finished with mothers and a black foam pad on a mini buffer, but you could probably skip the green and finish with the mothers by hand and still get excellent results

ok the holidays are gone....finally. time to get this project rolling full steam since we have a 4 day storm starting right now that according to reports will be measured in feet not inches. spent the last couple days helping 04rxw10 from the non-smoking side put a sc10III in his sled. it's a 121 skid with custom tip up extensions from CB performance to get back to 136
DSCN1699.jpg

heres the link to his build with more thorough info on all he did http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=70677
my dad has a broken ankle so I have to keep my place and his cleared out during this big dumping. hopefully get some time in between on the sled but otherwise monday i'm diving in and i dont care what else comes up i'm getting this thing done over the next few weeks.
got some more parts in:
blue polyurethane line to replace every line
a racepak avengerIII, doesnt seem to be working right, got to look at it closer
venture radius rods/tie rods from HARNESSRACER
right trailing arm from VIPERKING
might be more, can't remember right now, more to come SOON

got some new progress. reinforced my steering post. i used 6 inches of 1/2 inch pipe. i made a groove down one side with a grinder for the weld seam inside the steering post to ride in, I also turned it down a little until it fit snug inside without having to beat it in. before i put the pipe in i drilled 2 holes all the way through the post, put in pipe and plug welded it
DSCN1708.jpg

I put the pipe recessed in and also welded the top
DSCN1707.jpg

I pulled the harness and the vent lines off the post support, sanded it and painted it metallic silver, cleaned and checked the harness and all the connections, replaced the vent lines with blue polyurethane tube, and installed the gas tank back on
DSCN1709.jpg

cleaned, painted and installed the brake caliper
DSCN1710.jpg

and the fuel pump
DSCN1712.jpg

then i started to work on how i'm going to mount the vector seat, hopefully finish that tomorrow

Back