optimistic pre-season srx project

SRX it is said:
That thing looks great, awesome job you're doing. Is that seat lighter than stock? I just missed a set of 38s on ebay by dragging my feet.
Anyway, I should take mine apart and start a project, as soon as I do snow will fllyyyyyy!!! I can't believe we have nothing up here, perfect temps and a chronic high pressure zone WTF!!
the seat alone is alot lighter, but by the time i build the aluminum box under the rear it will probably be back close to stock. but it sits about 3 inches higher than stock for a more comfortable riding position

You STILL dont have that thing ready you missed a lot of fun.

100_2350.jpg

I hope you get it done the TY ride is this coming Fri Sat and I'm going to say Sunday morning most of us will leave Sunday to return to work on Monday. Do you think you might make it or would rather ride around the house first????

went to assemble the engine and i'm missing one of the crank bearing stop rings. hopefully its somewhere at the crank builders shop. if not i'll have to order one and be out another week. my dealer has NO 2 stroke parts in stock :o|

rx1jim said:
Staggs, how are you making out on the sled's progress?? Post some pics of your progress.
been working on some customer cars so haven't had much time on it. been laid off for a year now from my primary gig, so gotta pay for this stuff somehow. lol

been a while. i picked up another 00 srx 700, heres a pic
004.jpg

cell phone pic so not the greatest. so now i have decisions to make. basically now that i have a second sled i want to have the stock engined one with the long travel for a trail sled and the 780 sled with lower suspension set up primarily for racing with some occassional lake terrorizing. so i need to decide between swapping engines or suspensions. ups and downs to either option.
on another note heres some car pics i'll share with you guys
first a 31 ford we did the bodywork and paint on
dadshotrod001.jpg

dadshotrod012.jpg

dadshotrod009.jpg

last one's a liitle blurry sorry
and heres a 64 chevelle. bodywork and paint on this one too
dadshotrod007.jpg

dadshotrod004.jpg

Hey Staggs with the SCIII in did you have to touch anything with the front end? Like raise or lower it? Need to make any brakets?

finally back on these projects. trying to get the 780 engine in the stock chassied sled and up and running for a local grass drag this saturday. pulled an all-nighter last night and blew off work today to work on it.
so I tore apart the stock chassied sled, what a mess
009.jpg

cleaned it up some didn't spend as much time as i did on the other one since i don't have much time, but its at least a little more presentable
010.jpg

got the 780 out of the other sled. it's mounted, reeds and powervalves are in. primary is rebuilt and back on. secondary is rebuilt but not on yet. drained the gas out of the tank, put in a new filter, and cleaned it up. pulled some of the other parts off the other sled that were already cleaned up good. made some pretty good progress. gotta go back to work tommorrow though. just have after work to work on it the rest of the week
011.jpg

went thru the carbs tonight. running the stock carbs and pipes for now. i dont have everything i need yet for the 38mm mach z carbs but i'll be trying to get what i need over the next few weeks. as for pipes still on the hunt for some benders BBs. even if i found some right now prob would have to wait till after the holidays. didn't bother with pics. figured you've all seen carbs before. more tommorrow gotta get some sleep.

When I saw this pic, I thought you slammed a 21 cylinder blue head into her!! Then I realized thats how many cylinders you drank working on her ;):D

Attachments

• 21cylinder (Medium).jpg
    21cylinder (Medium).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 4
took it for some 500ft grass drag testing. this is what happens when the nytro beside you gets you sleeping at the line
002.jpg

ran pretty good. got a few issues to look at. engine alignment seems to be off. primary is getting hot. fixed sheave more so than the sliding. i also think the primary spring i was running was a little too stiff as well compounding the problem.
i set my alignment with the sledpro tool. i need to recheck see if its showing the same as before. if it is i'm not sold on that tool.
we made probably ten passes. the first seven or so weren't full out runs. the last three we let it all hang out. the last run was against an f8 that was running real well all morning and we were 1 1/2 sled lengths behind him. i was pretty happy with that for the first time out, with the clutching issues and we were running stock gears and didn't touch the suspension (which needs some serious changes for drag racing)

took it out for some long runs on the lake and holy sh@t, i can't wait for this thing to be fully dialed in.
this will be a long post but here it is:
at the grass drags was running 8bu00s 4.5g's both holes, fett bros 150/300 primary spring, hauck k helix 45/41 (though i'm told it actually measures differently) silver spring at 70. with this set-up engagement was 5500 shot to 8400 settled in at 8200 and stayed there for the full 500ft.
for yesterday i pulled the fett bros spring for a www. swapped the silver for a green @ 70. and the hauck k for a bender 50/40.
was riding with a 06 mxz 800. through the trails i could only pull 7000 rpms on the straights. you could feel the secondary opening too quick so i put the silver back in @ 80 and headed to the lake. was now only pulling 7500 but we did some runs for baselines. we were basically dead even, whoever got the holeshot won and was hitting 100mph on the dream meter.
went back and swapped the bu00s for my heavy hitters. i knew there was too much weight in them since i last used them with the 150/300 but i didn't have the hardware with me to lighten em up.
so by now another friend shows up with an 01 zr 800. we line em up. no contest at all. i'm now at 8100 rpms and walking both sleds start to finish not even close enough to count sled lengths. now hitting 120 on the dm. it was close to 50 f so i wont lighten the hh's up until i see what they pull on a cold day. i'm very pleased

Last edited:

Back