Exciter -89 Goes Mountian

Thanks man! The rest of the stuff came today, tonight i will finish up and then take it for a testrun:)

Been a bit busy,taking care of the cluch, throttle wire and the mounting of the unifilters. Changed drivebelt and did a little polish, it looks a bit better now.

Then i got rid of the ugly plate on the hood and put on some hardwax, the ventholes will be filled with custom made ventkits:)

Tomorrow i´ll change the slides and then we´re good to go!

It took a bit longer than i expected, but it´s finally time to finish this part of the project! And what would be the proper way to do this with?

Maybe a before and after pic, would be the best way to settle this, so here it comes :)

The result of many hours of information gathering, and frustration. Long nights in the garage, and a hole lot of new experiences.

Was it all worth it? Hell YEAH!

To be continued......

Last edited:
Thanx all of you! I´ve been out riding it today and what a difference! It can´t be compared to what it was, the performance is way better and it goes smooth and almost float in the snow. The steering is also much better than it used to be. I´m very satisfied, and it was definitely worth all the work! I´ll try to fix some video as promised..

Good job ! B.T.W. the Pro-Action of the Vmax is a way better suspension than the original 87-90 Exciter Pro-Link.

Finding Rear Suspension Shocks
Search all the following sleds had the original Pro-Action Rear Suspension.
1983 to 1991 SRV 540
1983 to 1991 Vmax 540
1991 to 1993 Exciter
1992 to 1997 Vmax 750/800 with the exception of the 97 XT models
1994-1996 Vmax 5/600 with the exception of the 96 XT models
KAYABA INDUSTRY CO. LTD
Front of Rear suspension middle shock ~ 119/16" or 295m.m. C.C.
Rear ~ 14.5" or 366m.m. C.C.

Kimpex Pro Gold Rear P# 04-284 Infinate Preload

-Center 8203
-Rear 8204
http://rydefx2.com/e-catalog.aspx

7 matches found.
Year Manufacturer Model Air 2.0 Ski 9200 Series Ski 8200 Series Ski 8400 Series Ski 9200 Series Center 8200 Series Center 8600 Series Center 9200 Series Rear 8200 Series Rear 8600 Series Rear

Thanx! It took a while but i finally came through:) The purpose of this tread was to show others that easy mods really makes a difference and that you doesn´t have to be a rocket scientist to get it done:)

There wasn´t much information on the internet about exciter mods, so i figured i should try to contribute. Hopefully i will start up phase 2 of this project in this summer. (that includes v-max front shocks and so on).

Thanx again for the shock facts! The sled goes really smooth but needs a little carburettor tuning though it goes really rich on higher rpm. Here´s a final pic from this part, followed by a movie of the old bastard in it´s proper habitat....

Last edited:
Alright it's been awhile i took a well needed vacation but now its time to start up phase 2 of this project! We're talking wide front and suspension from Vmax 750. I also need to change the primary though it fell apart last season. the goal is to create a crazy old sled, far from any other ex. out there. I already put out more Than what is wise on this old sled, so i might aswell go all in right? :)

cool project,vmax 4 shocks have to large of a diameter to fit threw tube,also the top knee is to wide to hook up,vmax 600's bolt right up

Yes that´s true, lucky for me i have a brother with the right tools to make them fit:) Hopefully it will be worth the extra work it means to fit it all together... This is my starting point:

I also took the engine apart though i have to switch the clutch, it was´nt a pretty sight...

Now i need to replace the pistons too.... And please take a note at my hardcore "outdoor" garage ;)

Last edited:
Hehehe, yes i got nice light and lots of space, though it is quite depenping on the weather.....

Alot of activity right now, frame has been cut and needs a little work before i can fit the slightly thicker v-max struts in the holder. I´m still searching for some widening material and some seals. I haven´t decide yet if i make it 40" or 42" inch wide.

The pistons has arrived together with the other parts i needed to get the engine running, now i just need the clutch. Replaced all the original cooling hoses to hydralic ones covered in steel (probably wont crack in a while:)

It takes a lot of work to make vx 750 front shocks to fit, go for the 600 instead though they are bolt on. (i know i would if i knew the difference before i bought them;)

Yes it will be really sweet if i manage to make em fit:) I had some trouble finding the oil seals for the shock holder. The org. exciter is to tight for the vx750 shocks. Tried to order org. 750 but they were on backorder... Lycky for me i found a company in new zealand who were willing to send me a couple of seals with following meassurements: Id 38x od 45 mm, thanx Rick:)

The clutch is also on it´s way together with the tierod boots thanx Paul:) Pretty much all stuff is now gathered for assembly. Just need to get some pipes for my wide kit. Vmax540 if u reed this i´m interested in your widekit.

Planned to get rid of the old clutch today but got the wrong tool:( Fixed my leaking exhaust instead, unicoils are the best! Gonna change the pistons and gaskets while i´m waiting for the right tool to arrive. Have some problems finding the right size on pipes for my widekit... but the oilseals are on their way from nz. Hopefully the widening goes smooth when all the stuff are here.

Back