Exciter -89 Goes Mountian

prankster said:
Did a little maintainence work while i´m waiting for my shocks to arrive. Found a new shorter seat which was in very good shape.

Did a little polish and cleaned the carburettors and changed all the hoses too.Wanted to know why the throtle hangs up every now and then. the wire and throttle adjustment bolts were really worn so i ordered a new one. ! Also ordered a really good thing: Ice scratchers! (For cooling of the slides)

I Also checked the entire cooling system just to make sure everything works perfectly when i leave the garage. Finally found some shocks on ebay, hopefully i get them real soon:)

FYI, the steering column likes to wear our the filter on the carb that its closest to, letting dust get in. I installed a Pan filter instead, with a metal lip, and it can rotate out of the way... otherwise perhaps one of those filters with the offset mount would be good on that side.

Last edited:

Yeah got some problems with pixbox, they are moving there servers (new owners) hopefully the pics will come back shortly.

almost 800 dollars for custom made shockholders.... naaa i don´t think so, got to find a cheaper solution........ this is bad, really bad.......

might want to throw on some 600 shocks with the vmax4 cans and skis and call it good till more ideas pop up,600 shocks are plenty stiff enough i dont know how 4 shocks and springs would be

Yeah that´s what i had in mind, the problem is that the originalholders already been damaged in different test versions. I need to cut of new ones from another chassie;) And besides that, there is´nt that easy to find a pair of vmax 600 shocks just like that...... I´m pulling a couple of strings here, we´ll see what they lead to.

Stanage, what can i say? You´re the MAN! You just might saved my season now:) It looked pretty dark there for awhile..... Just need to find some vx 600 shocks now. If some of you got or know anyone who´s got a pair please let me know asap:)

Yeah! Found some light in my search for the perfect front;) Maybe i found a guy who can help me figure out what to do with my shockholders.... the exciter saga will be continued...........

Last edited:
Well sometimes u got to be lucky and have the right connections! My shockholders will be ready tomorrow! It looked pretty dark there for a while but now it´s time to reload and get going again:) Now i only have to mount everything back together, pics are coming up:)

My problems are finally solved, got some help from a guy with the right knowledge and tools (and for the right price:) The original shockholders are now modified to fit the vx 750 shocks, scissors and skiis. The bushings inside are now 2 mm wider, and the scissormounts had also to be widened though the vx scissors are wider than the originals. The mods can clearly be seen in these pics:

Here´s another pic to show what u need to to if your planning to use vx 750 or 800 shocks on an exciter. (i don´t recommend it though it´s much easier to use the bolt on shocks from the 600).

Now i only need to get my 0.40 o.d pistons from the store and reassembly everything:)

nice job!thats unbelievable,how did you get wider bushings inside and are they vmax4 ones?seen a few people including myself try and dont know of any that have succeeded.once again awesome

Well i can´t take all the credit for that:) I left them to a guy, told him what i was planning to do and he put them in a cnc machine and got them done. The bushings are the original ex, the machine just made them thinner. The seals are special, i ordered them from new zealand though i could´nt find anyones with the meassures i needed. The vx 750 scissors are also 2 mm wider than the ex. he fix that by making a distance in aluminum which made them fit right on:) Tomorrow i´ll start to put everything together again. Hopefully the result will be awesome together with the 750 aluminum skiis:)

(excuse my crappy english, i´m a bit short of technical terms;)

Today i started the reassembly phase, the total width right now is 42" or about 8 cm on each side. When i saw the result i became quite insecure though it looks really much! But then i thought what the heck let´s go.. Tomorrow i weld it and then i need to extend the steering shaft and so on... Here´s some pics:

I also needed to test assembly the shocks and skiis, i´m pretty pleased with the result. The old exciter is now officially mixed with a v-max 750:)

Did some more testing today though i want to be sure of everything before i weld i all back together. If i go for 42" it will be this wide, what do u think is this too much?

Looking good; I actually had CB Performance (site sponsor) do a wide-job on a '91 Phazer for me which is almost complete; got the body panels from VMax540 (member); I've also added VMAx 600 XTC adjustable t.s.s. struts to now, 3 Phazers. I'll try to get pics up soon but I have to say, this thread and your work, has been great!

Thanx man! Positive feedback is always good:) Looking really forward to see your pics when u get them uploaded. Vmax540 has been a big inspiration and he is also great when you need some advice:) I´m beginning to see the end of this phase of the project now, just waiting for some oilseals to arrive from NZ. (bought 4, needed 6;( Anyway as soon as they arrive i´ll put it back together and hopefully it will be worth all the work i put in it. But as you already know.... the exciter saga will not end here...there will always be other things to improve:) I´ll try to post more pics along the way.....

Made some last minute changes and took the decision to just make the front end 40" wide instead of 42. (total 5 cm on each side) Finally it´s time to extend the steering shaft and weld everything back together:)

Last edited:
Got all of my stuff today, went to the garaget and made some real progress. My brother and i did some serious welding and the result became quite good:)

I changed my mind and went with the more allround 40" stance, i know this works because my cousin has that width on his ex2.

I came up with this result after a little serious grinding :)

Put some paint on it and FINALLY i could mount my shocks and the towers.

The new cc width between the towers

I keep going tomorrow again with some more engine work and the skis and panels is going to be mounted. Then it´s time for a testdrive:)

Back