Father and daughter viper project!!

SRX_700 said:
I am also going thru my primary and secondary. Make sure to replace all bushings in both (4 all together) as well as the sliders in the primary. Just because the springs measure to spec, doesn't mean they are not worn out. Replace them (they are cheap) for good measure. How does your rollers, collars and arms look? Do the washers show any wear?

Didnt really get a chance to get too deep into the primary yet, but i will check all that for sure. Thanks chris

Well upon further inspection and reading a few posts i found with similar chips im looking at a new primary. Im pretty sure this is not safe? I just need a empty one. All my parts seem good and tight. Weights are in good shape, covers good. Its the little things like this and that exhaust stud that are wearing on my budget and patience. Posted a want ad for one if anyone can help me out. Hears a few pic's. You can see where the screw had its way with a moving clutch. Oh well, better now then having it explode while my daughers riding it. Chris

Attachments

• DSCF0261 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0261 (800x600).jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF0262 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0262 (800x600).jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 12
Make sure you go thru both clutches thoroughly. That includes bushings. How many miles are on those clutches?

The sleds only got 3000mi on it. I got the good deal because the guy never had the hood up i think. I need a new primary at this point. Secondary is tight, just needs new buttons. Sled is in great shap just neglected over the years. Chris

I believe the primary is still okay and does not need replacing. I would post those pics in the other forum to get other opinions, however.

Chris,

My advice is to check, recheck and use only top quality parts in the rebuild on your project. You have several mponths to get the project done and the sledding season is so short. Personally, I would not use that primary clutch since the effect of small imperfections get magnified by the high rotational rpm. I know money is very tight for most of us on here but it is not worth the hassle and danger of having the primary fail while running at speed.

Jim

rx1jim said:
Chris,

My advice is to check, recheck and use only top quality parts in the rebuild on your project. You have several mponths to get the project done and the sledding season is so short. Personally, I would not use that primary clutch since the effect of small imperfections get magnified by the high rotational rpm. I know money is very tight for most of us on here but it is not worth the hassle and danger of having the primary fail while running at speed.

Jim

You are right and i know better. I will go with my gut on this one and get a new primary. I only need a empty one so it shouldnt be too bad. Thanks chris

can always send it out to be balanced and checked. I know Jaws in vt does it. sure bender or hauck probably could as well

Well its good friday and no school so we decided to get the head back on the sled. Wanted to wash it out also but still to cold outside for me. Only 40ish outside. Sprayed the pistons and through the reed ports real good with fogging oil before i closed it up. Couple of pics for ya! Elizabeth learning how to mix coolant and filling it up. Also a good pic of the opticool head torque pattern. It is a little different then stock. Not sure why or if it even matters. Chris

Attachments

• DSCF0269 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0269 (800x600).jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF0268 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0268 (800x600).jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF0267 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0267 (800x600).jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF0266 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0266 (800x600).jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 83
A couple of bucks said:
What is the physical difference between the stocker and an Opticool?

No diff in material but the way the holes are cut is a big difference. I have both and i can take a pic to compare if you want. Just had to replace head gasket so went with the opticool. chris

Here is a pic of the 2 side by side. You can see how different they are. The opticool helps even out the flow of coolant for better cooling the way i understand it.

Attachments

• DSCF0270 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0270 (800x600).jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 67
Cleaning belly pan

super1c said:
Got to wait for warm weather to clean the belly of the beast.

When I cleaned mine out for the first time, it was a chore to say the least. I used these nylon bristle brushes, whatever degreaser I had(probably Simple Green) and ALOOOOOOOT of HOT, HOT, HOT water that came off of the stove. Boiling infact.
The nylon bristle brushes attached to the 12" drill extension that I had for the exhaust can drilling job. Everything was picked up at our local FARM & FLEET.
Cleaned the livin DOG SH!T out of the belly area. Looked new infact.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/s/?keyword=Brush&brand=Dico

Attachments

• clean.jpg
    clean.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Thanks for the hot water tip couple of bucks. Really helped with the grease and grimy mess. Boiling water and a little bit of this stuff my wife gave me called "awesome" from the dollar store it came out great. For not removing the engine i cant find hardly any dirt left and grime left. We dont have all are parts yet and we still havent gotten anything painted but we can start putting a few things back together now. Chris

Attachments

• DSCF0273 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0273 (800x600).jpg
    376 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF0274 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0274 (800x600).jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF0275 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0275 (800x600).jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF0276 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0276 (800x600).jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF0277 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0277 (800x600).jpg
    343 KB · Views: 32
wow. Looking great. I definitely will be picking up an Opticool for my viper this year after seeing your pics. Did you manage to find a primary? I thought I spotted one on fleabay yesterday. Ill see if I can find a link.

Back