Father and daughter viper project!!

Do you think these powervalves were ever cleaned?? This is what 3200mi looks like on powervalves that have never been pulled. I got lucky though, no pull throughs or mushroom heads. Used a cleaner and a green scotch brite pad on them after a scraping with a razor blade. They look brand new. A few scratches but for the most part the coating is intact and no nics or chips.

Attachments

• DSCF0279 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0279 (800x600).jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0280 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0280 (800x600).jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 34
A couple of bucks said:
With all of the 'female' accent on this warhorse, she'll need something like this to pull it all together.

She's aready got the pink coat from last year. She went with the coldwave. Here's a pic of her coat. And yes she is texting on the trail
:dunno: :dunno: .

Attachments

• DSCF0086 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0086 (800x600).jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 56
Last day off before my long weekend at work so i got a few things done. Got the powervalves in. I had hoped to get the e start in so i could adjust the powervalves but never got that far. I did get the starter in and the main wire harness ran. Notice my daughters flare? Blue wire cover with pink zip ties. Its rubbing off on me now. I did that without even being told LOL!!!

Attachments

• DSCF0281 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0281 (800x600).jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF0282 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0282 (800x600).jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF0283 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0283 (800x600).jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF0284 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0284 (800x600).jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF0285 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0285 (800x600).jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
you will want to change that wire to the starter, it should not run under the drag link. When you turn the sled that link gets closer to the hump, it might chafe. It should run along the motor above the link. There should be a bendable metal bracket that will bolt on at the pump cover and hold it tight, it then curves down to the starter.
It might be ok the way it is but someday when you hit the switch, you might smell smoke. also, the wire on most i have had apart go through the center of the mag side bracket and is tied off to it so that end wont chafe.
good luck, great build. Once in a while I get my daughter in the gararge when she isn't dancing, teaching dance, watching dance or thinking about dance.

super1c said:
Bring em over, running a spring special. Beer a piece!!

thanks for the offer but after last night i'm thinking about going into the snowmobile repair business. mother nature has pretty much shut down any chance of corn going in the ground for a while. at least i'll have beer to drink if i can find enough dirty power valves! lol. but than again running a yamaha repair business would be pretty tough so i think i'll focus on AC's and Poo's.

BigTimeFarmer said:
but than again running a yamaha repair business would be pretty tough so i think i'll focus on AC's and Poo's.

if thats your idea, you may need to hire some (cough) HELP (hint hint) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BETHEVIPER said:
you will want to change that wire to the starter, it should not run under the drag link. When you turn the sled that link gets closer to the hump, it might chafe. It should run along the motor above the link. There should be a bendable metal bracket that will bolt on at the pump cover and hold it tight, it then curves down to the starter.
It might be ok the way it is but someday when you hit the switch, you might smell smoke. also, the wire on most i have had apart go through the center of the mag side bracket and is tied off to it so that end wont chafe.
good luck, great build. Once in a while I get my daughter in the gararge when she isn't dancing, teaching dance, watching dance or thinking about dance.

Thanks for the tip, ill look at how the wires are run. Ill have to check my other 2 vipers also cause i think i ran them the same way. I dont want any rub throughs for sure. Hey brad i bet the fields are blown out!!! Im thinking of opening a fishing pond for charge in my back yard. It cant hold anymore water and i herd its supposed to rain again tonight :o|

I just took a wade out to my garage and checked on that wiring. I see know how it is supposed to run above that link. I checked my other 2 vipers and will have to change those. The only problem with this e start on my daughters viper is the wire harness is much shorter. I dont think it is long enough to run it through the center of the mag bracket then along the engine back to the starter. Upon research i found out it must be from a older e start sled. They all will work with any proaction sled but the older ones had shorter harnesses. So i will have to wait till i get the chain case in and see what i can come up with. It will work just might have to find a way to protect that wire at that link. Chris

BigTimeFarmer said:
thanks for the offer but after last night i'm thinking about going into the snowmobile repair business. mother nature has pretty much shut down any chance of corn going in the ground for a while. at least i'll have beer to drink if i can find enough dirty power valves! lol. but than again running a yamaha repair business would be pretty tough so i think i'll focus on AC's and Poo's.

Same here, Mother Nature isn't letting up for those of us trying to farm up here in ND. We were putting seed in the ground a week ago last year. I've only seen one tractor in the field so far this year, and that was on flax ground that didn't hold any snow. Talking more rain and snow for us this weekend. Still snow banks around in the tree rows and sides of the coulees.

Viper is looking good!!

while at work today i heard a new song from trace adkins called "just fishin". while listening to this new song, all i could think of was this thread (kinda wierd i know). but i think it is very cool that your daughter takes an interest in the same things you do and that the memories of this build will last forever. not trying to be mushy.....just thought id share the thought. i fyou listen to the song, you will see what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O328z4F7WlM

Last edited:
Very cool!! Thats what this projects all about, and im enjoying every moment of it. Like ive said she's 14 now and it wont be long before im replaced by a boyfriend or 2 but i hope we can always have sleddin time together. She can even bring the boyfriend but lets hope he drives a yamaha for sure. LOL!!!! Thanks again tippmannator i really like that. Chris.

no prob SUPER1C!! i have two duaghters (2 1/2yrs and 4months) and a 4 yr old son and i hope that one day i can do projects like this with my kids. so this is a very cool project to watch come to life! keep the posts coming!!

Got some work done finally! We have been busy with track practice, track meets and me working. Last thursday it was sunny and 80 and today it was 46 deg F. I had the fireplace going sun it was so cold. Thursday we worked on the track. I decided to keep the one we have. Its still in pretty good shape and has a good couple years of life left in it. It just needed a bunch of studs replaced and about 10 clips that are missing. The rest are still ok, showing a little wear but plenty of metal left. We also removed the outside row.

Attachments

• DSCF0290 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0290 (800x600).jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF0295 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0295 (800x600).jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 43
Today i was able to finish the wiring on the E start. I had a matching end on a old 95vmax harness that i was able to frankenstien to my e start lead to match the viper. Little silicone and black tape and water tight. Also got my fuse box built. I did it a bit different then my other 2 viper. I used ends that matched the factory plugs then zip tied the individual fuses together. I then shrink wraped the ends and used this gum like waterproofer stuff to fill the gaps where it plugs in then electric tape to seal it off. Now if i ever have to take it off for whatever reason the factory viper ends are still their. Wish i would have done my other 2 this way but didnt think of it at the time.

Attachments

• DSCF0287 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0287 (800x600).jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0301 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0301 (800x600).jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF0302 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0302 (800x600).jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0303 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0303 (800x600).jpg