Musselman's SRX Project

Went for my first ride this year with my new setup... did about 200KM on the machine. I started out with the stock clutch setup (I am gear down with a 8 tooth driver) and the sled ran awesome. No issues with suspension or anything ... actually love the 144 setup. Now, I find it seems to over rev and top end or if you floor it.

I put in vmax 4 weights on the primary, (cant remember what they actually weigh) and tried that with the stock secondary. That still seemed to rev real high (alittle over 8000 if its at the bar, I always chickened out to hold it longer then a few seconds incase I do any harm) Then I put in a green spring in the secondary, with a different helix... cant remember the angle. you guys got any ideer what it should rev at for tilt.... I want to be able to hold it at the bar to race someone without blowing up. Obviously not looking to beat anyone, but I want it to rev properly. Seems to me like anything over 8500 is high ....

BTW, sorry for taking over your thread...

when you go to 8 tooth drives without changing the gears to correct, you have decreased the load on the clutching. you can run alot more weight, or more angle on your helix. you might be better off if this is a trail sled to put your gears back close to stock first.

Hey,
i would like to know how you make the front higher ??
I measure the OEM front shock and they measure like 17''
putting 17,5'' make it as higher as this ??
thanks !!

Got a package in the mail today, didn't think it would come that fast
These are brand new still in the package with the airpump and stickers and everything:

IMG_5000.jpg

Here is one shock mounted up, I decreased the pressure to 30 psi and it feels nice and soft, way better than the viper shock on the other side.

IMG_5002.jpg

IMG_5001.jpg
Will these bolt right into a 2001 sx700r? I'm very interested in adding these to my sled.

Last edited:
Those won't work on your sled, your shocks have a clevis mount at the top and these have eyes on both ends. You need to get some shock conversion brackets to get them to work.

Couldn't he do the bracket off a different sled like has been done on vipers?
Never mind I need to read better......

Last edited:
I do brackets for viper shocks on srx sleds as well as fox floats on srx sleds. I make them mount up inside the belly pan to keep the height down. You will want to make sure your fox floats have pivots at the ends as the two shafts do not follow a parallel to each other and will bind badly if you just use shocks from say, a rtx apex.

Hi Guys, sorry for the lack of progress this year. I moved into a new house in the early fall so I was quite occupied with moving and setting up.

I have a bunch planned for the SRX this year though, I hope I can finish before the snow flies.

- I had the jackshaft bearing explode last year on the last ride of the season, need to replace that along with the shaft possibly, don't know yet.
- I want to drop my skid down 1/2" as it would contact the tunnel on large hits to the rear, need to drill new mount holes.
- I need to figure out what shocks will work best up front with dropping the skid, I bough a set that are 16.5" to try.
- I noticed the center radius rod triangle bracket is cracked on one side so I need to pull the entire front end and weld that up, going to add some extra support if I can.

Other than that it will be just a few skid bearings and carbides along with some cleaning and adjusting, hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Interested in hearing updates!
I just picked up a stock SRX and am looking to get some more travel and more trailable suspension out of it.

Thanks,
Rob

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been working hard trying to finish since we have some good snow now.

I managed to get the front radius rod bracket welded up and reinforced, shouldn't have any issues now.

Rebuilt the chaincase with new bearings and seals and also replaced the driveshaft and jackshaft bearings.

Had to change out my air compressor since I found it had a crack and was leaking. This is why I couldn't build pressure last year.

I also decided to change out the track to try something new, decided to go with a cobra 1.6 since they brought it out in 144 length this year.

Pictures to follow.

Here are some pictures to update;

First is one of the triangle bracket showing the crack it had

This one is showing where my battery mounts in the front.

These are of the jackshaft bearing and the retaining collar, the bearing actually spins perfectly so not sure what caused it to lock up.

These are of the new track.

Here are some updated pics, almost finished now, just need to get the skid plate mounted.

Here are some pics of the suspension fully bottomed to check clearances, would be a good drag race setup ;)!. It still has an inch left in the rear but the front is all the way down.

The problem with that bracket is it is made to be attached to a flat bulkhead. It is copied from the polaris front end from the mid to late 90s. It might even have been sourced from poo for their front end instead of having them made. Nice work. I think you should build over the front end to use a apex style front end.

Back