Musselman's SRX Project

Test fitted one of the trailing arms, looks great on there. The geometry is much better than the stock arms, here are some pictures

IMG_0010-1.jpg

IMG_0011-1.jpg

IMG_0012-1.jpg

IMG_0013-2.jpg

I also got one of the footrests removed, will be easy cleaning that area now ;)!

IMG_0014-1.jpg

IMG_0015-1.jpg

Looks great. I think your going to have to drill out all those structural rivets from the trailing arm mount then redo them for the viper foot wells as some of the rivets go on top of the well to hold it. Or you could mod your wells and make it work. I have the part number from yamaha to reorder those exact rivets if you go the drill method. Got mine from portyamaha Expecting them later this week to finnish my running board mishap!!

Yah I'm going to pull those off anyways so I can fix my running board crack issue. I actually have a bunch left over from when I last ordered them from Ding. Hopefully I have enough, if not I will let you know.

I also managed to wreck my steering hoop (frame around the gas tank). I was removing the bolts that hold the footrest on and the threaded inserts just spun inside. I figured it was best to remove them instead of having a loose frame. So now I need to look for a steering support frame.

Iknow this is off topic, but how many lbs of preasure do you run in your front floats shocks. just put a pair on my 2000 SRX.

SRXAPEX said:
Iknow this is off topic, but how many lbs of preasure do you run in your front floats shocks. just put a pair on my 2000 SRX.
Last year I ran around 55 psi, ride height was fairly high but the ride was nice. I think I will try the same next year. These are floats from a firecat though so they might be a little different.

I put fox float 2 for apex and vector models. they are 16.5 inches long from center to crenter. How long were the firecat shocks?

Just thought I would give an update on the sled;

I sent my trailing arms out for powder coating, I chose brilliant white for the colour. I also decided that I should get my pipes ceramic coated. I am going to try afterburner performance coatings in Bradford, looks like they do nice work and close by too. I am going to get the polished coating that looks like chrome, can't beat that, then polish the heat shields to match.

I will get pictures of the trailing arms when they are complete and some updates on the sled soon.

Musselman your sled looks awesome. Just wondering how you like the powertek front end and what the advantage is? I went to their website and they don't offer it anymore. Any ideas where I can get one?
Thanks

red rider said:
Musselman your sled looks awesome. Just wondering how you like the powertek front end and what the advantage is? I went to their website and they don't offer it anymore. Any ideas where I can get one?
Thanks
Thanks! The power rak is awesome, at 44 inches wide it absolutely rails around corners. It also reduced the steering effort and eliminated any play throughout the system. I picked up mine used so I think that's the only way you could get them now, or you could always build your own.

Removed then engine on the weekend and took apart the steering rack and greased the bushings, it's amazing how smooth and tight this steering is. I also got the bushings in my new trailing arms, all I need now is some grease fittings for them. While the engine is out I need to install my RSI extended oil cable as well. Pictures will follow tonight.

Here are some pictures,

Rack steering assembled and greased

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

Some pictures of the trailing arms with bushings installed

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

Do you think this crank seal is leaking????

IMG_0542.jpg

Hard to tell if the crank seal has residual grease from the seal lip when the last one was installed or if it is actually leaking.
If it were my sled and it doesn't have many miles since last seal was installed, I would clean it up and occasionally check it to see if more oil shows up.
Although...since the engine is out anyway...it would be much easier and give you peace of mind to put a new one in now...

Let us know what you do.

Bob

Sleds looking great!

Thanks guys, yah I just installed these seals last year so they only have 3500 km on them. I'll just clean it up and keep an eye on it, don't really want to do an engine tear down at this point.

Back