Musselman's SRX Project

Just an update, I have been working like crazy this week on the sled trying to get it done. I got my reverse lever and coolant bottle figured out, I ended up relocating the reverse lever instead of moving the coolant bottle which works a lot nicer.

I also pressure tested the engine and found I had a bad air leak at the reeds. I had v-force III's in there and they are all plastic and were difficult to seal so I went back to the stock reeds with a bit of copper RTV for extra insurance. I set my tester to 6 psi and it dropped 1/2 psi over 10 minutes which I think is just fine, must mean that crank seal is good as well. Now I won't have any worries holding it wide open across an entire lake.

Some pictures;

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

Some pictures with the hood for fun;

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

Started looking at the wiring for my viper gauge last night. Looks like most wires will match up to the srx with the addition of 2 wires for the speed pickup and 1 Black/Gold which looks like an extra ground for the gauge.

you will also need to need to run the input for the temp light into a dummy temp sender or inline correct set of resistors to ground or your warning light will come on.
srx senses from the box, then outputs to the guage warning light.
viper inputs from the sending unit, then tripping the warning light.
blue with red wire is the temp input.

Thanks guys, getting close to the finish line for this year.

I actually have the diagrams for both sleds and when comparing them, the operation of the temp sensor seems identical between the 02 srx and 04 viper, however I could be wrong. Looks like the 01 srx is different than the 02 though. The 01 srx diagram looks similar to the temp sensor on the red head engines. I will just have to wait and see I guess, thanks for the heads up though ;)!.

Last edited:
hey musselman, your not too far away from me! you guys getting any snow there yet? your not too far from the ganny either. have you ever been over there in the winter? I ususally try to make it over there in the summer for trail riding on the bike. great place to get out for the day!

Hi
Nice work! Can you post a picture of the relocating of the reverse lever, i am going to mount reverse on mine.

jostein

Cooper0809 said:
hey musselman, your not too far away from me! you guys getting any snow there yet? your not too far from the ganny either. have you ever been over there in the winter? I ususally try to make it over there in the summer for trail riding on the bike. great place to get out for the day!
No snow here yet, today it was +7 and rain, doesn't look good at all. I have been to the ganny in the summer with my atv a few times but never on the sled, I usually head up to the muskoka area for sledding. I agree it is a great place to ride in the summer, not too many other places you can go.

josen said:
Hi
Nice work! Can you post a picture of the relocating of the reverse lever, i am going to mount reverse on mine.

jostein
Here are some pictures of my reverse lever, I do not have a parking brake so it made it much easier to move to this location. All I did was mount the lever on the other side of the chaincase away from the coolant bottle. I then drilled out the lower nut on the coolant bottle lower bracket, then put the bolts for the reverse lever in from the other side.

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

So just a quick update, I got my exhaust in last night, not going to get it ceramic coated this year because I ran out of time. I spent a good amount of time getting it to fit perfect, now every joint lines up perfect and there is adequate clearance between everything.

I also got my viper gauge wired up, what I did was cut the stock hood harness and solder on the viper harness since the plugs are different. We will see how it works tonight if I get a chance to fire it up.

dude, do not cut your hood yet. you have alot of crap there you do not need, about 5lbs worth.
check out my older posts for my superventure. reverse from the park lever. using a parking brake cable from a rx1. worked great, less room and you don't forget and get on your sled and try to drive off in reverse (for those of us who hate the buzzer)

I really wanted to do the cable method but I already cut the hole last year so I just went with the lever again this year. I have done a lot of searching but I couldn't find much info on what needs to be done for the cable reverse. I would really like to do it next summer though, saving weight is always good.

found the pictures, not sure where they went on the site.
the lever extension I made was an end I cut off from a parking brake flange. the cable was parking brake for rx1 and had more than enough length. you can see how much cleaner the installation is instead of the bulky lever and bracket. It all fit quite nice with my srx can. with how tight everything was on my viper with srx pipes and stock muffler, there was no way I was getting the lever in there so I improvised . when I installed this on my venture, I had a new brake block made up with two levers so I had parking and reverse, sure got some looks. when I did this, I went to my hi/lo switch on my brake lever like the first fircats, love that switch. This wouldn't have worked on my viper as I had an electric adjusting headlight where the hi/lo was .

I had great luck with this setup and there have been many on here that have copied it later on.

Attachments

• CIMG0304.JPG
    CIMG0304.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 48
  • CIMG0307.JPG
    CIMG0307.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 45
  • CIMG0349.JPG
    CIMG0349.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6225.JPG
    IMG_6225.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_6226.JPG
    IMG_6226.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
skis

Thank you for the pictures of the gearbox. Is that c&A pro mtx 8"wide you have on your srx? how do you like them?
jostein

Wire reverse shifter

Here is my version of the reverse wire gear shifter. Used the original parking brake wire. Welded the wire adjuster knob to the linkage, and made a small
bracket for the wire holder. Works nice and firm.

Attachments

• gearshift.jpg
    gearshift.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 48

Back