The making of "Darth Viper" #2.0

amatosrx said:
just ordered the the high gloss mirror black 2 for your parts don. it will be here 5 days. it is the most gloss black ever.

SAWEEET!! So I guess I am gonna need some sun glasses to look at it in the garage.....LOL! :bling: :bling: :bling: ;)! ;)!

got all of the parts to powdercoat boxed up tonight.
Also your newly improved"stuff" is also boxed up and will go out, (( its gonna run a whole lot better now!!! ;)! )) will get the domes done soon and send back, thanx

mrviper700 said:
SAWEEET!! So I guess I am gonna need some sun glasses to look at it in the garage.....LOL! :bling: :bling: :bling: ;)! ;)!

got all of the parts to powdercoat boxed up tonight.
Also your newly improved"stuff" is also boxed up and will go out, (( its gonna run a whole lot better now!!! ;)! )) will get the domes done soon and send back, thanx
thanks it will be shiny for sure. and i can't wait to feel the rip of this little 700.

don here is your parts all done they r wet black and super shiny. u should like it . thet r boxed up and going out tommorow.

Attachments

• mr viper powder coat arm (2).jpg
    mr viper powder coat arm (2).jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 57
  • mr viper powdercoat rails (2).jpg
    mr viper powdercoat rails (2).jpg
    179 KB · Views: 47
  • mr viper powdercoat rods (2).jpg
    mr viper powdercoat rods (2).jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 36
  • mr viper powdercoat springs (2).jpg
    mr viper powdercoat springs (2).jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 41
  • nr viper powdercoat (2).jpg
    nr viper powdercoat (2).jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 41
Looks like excellant work Pete, looking forward to getting them back on sled. ;)!

03viperguy said:
wow, now thats BLACK

Yeah, and those pics don't even do them justice. I have seen these parts before they were boxed up and that has to be the glossiest black powder coat that I have ever seen. They look 300% better in person.

little bit of progress

I got all my parts back from powder coating and wanted to tinker around getting the front suspension back in the sled. Having built the other Darth Viper, I remembered a few areas in which I wanted to black out as well and went ahead and did it first this time, so I didnt have alot of masking of parts to do. I didnt want to get any epoxy paint on any of the new powdercoated stuff. Heres a pic of the front,minus the shock.( shocks are still in the works)
I am pretty happy with it, its definitely black now!!. I just need to paint those clutch guard rivets in the bellypan next time out.
I bead blasted all the bolts/nuts on front suspension and painted them a satin finish metallic cast grey color to break up the sled a bit.

The only bad thing about the black is it doesnt show up in a pic the same with how it looks in person, same thing happened to the first build. (color seems to eat up the flash)It is super shiny deep black, NICE!! :bling:

You did a nice job on the parts Amatosrx. ;)!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Looks sweet.Hoepefully you can get it done soon so you have time to finish my motor.

improvement, front shocks back on. I am looking at buying a set of the gyt clicker black shocks from a apex and will make mounts to go on top.( I have a set of sx shock brackets that would likely let them bolt right on if need be) I think the clicker shocks would be pretty cool on the front.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 64
just a heads up, on the gytr clickers (at least off an apex gt) the bottom of the shock will need machining or the bracket on the trailing arm will need modification. i snagged my dad's clicker shocks and found the bracket on the trailing arm was too narrow to mount the shock too.
Great looking sled keep up the work and pray for SNOW!!

snoprokidf6 said:
just a heads up, on the gytr clickers (at least off an apex gt) the bottom of the shock will need machining or the bracket on the trailing arm will need modification. i snagged my dad's clicker shocks and found the bracket on the trailing arm was too narrow to mount the shock too.
Great looking sled keep up the work and pray for SNOW!!

thanx for the heads up, will definitely machine the shock mount versus messing up the powdercoating on trailing arms. thanx again

After spending the day working on green ditch pickles(zr900, thundercat 900-arctitc cats), track change,skid shock replacement,carbs cleaned and clutchs cleaned. I was ready for a little Darth time to relax before bed, even if it was only for about 45 mins.

I have been pretty much beadblasting and painting every little part. Also got another box of small misc items blasted and cleaned/boxed up to send to Amatosrx for some more gloss black powdercoat. :bling:

Took some Krylon plastic fusion paint and customized the clear r1 tail light for the sled. Slowly poking around getting the rear skidframe assembled. Gonna have to paint the axles, I tried the sanded bare alum. look but now that everything else is beyond black, gonna have to paint those satin black....lol ;)!

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 21
little more tinkering

Tinkered around tonight after work too, got the heat shields for pipe painted, used hi temp 1200 degree ceramic header paint, satin black. When Ding sends me the new exh bands I can put it back on the pipe. ;)!
Also got a apex gas cap for the sled, something to set it apart from the other 10,000 vipers, fits good, looks differnt but not stand out obvious.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
While I was out tinkering one of my good friends stopped over to make sure my fridge was not out of a couple cold ones..lol! He said "lets do the tunnel while we are here staring at it", so off we went..and got busy.

Started off with removing the rivets securing the yamaha tunnel braces/grips, rear tunnel cap and then a good degreasing with prepsol. We then used 320 grit sandpaper and roughed up the tunnel real well where we were going to apply the bedliner coating. Wiped down with prepsol again and started.

This stuff #$%&* STINKS!! I was getting a little lightheaded while we were rolling this stuff on, its a powerfull solvent smell. We used little foam rollers to apply it, this stuff is thick like gel and takes a while but smooths out. It came out pretty cool, its about the same texture as the gastank is so its gonna blend right in on the sled. I am glad I went this route as I want to ride this sled and when the running boards are painted they scratch easily and then ruin the look. The last Darth build sled the paint was so nice on the running boards I was afraid to put my feet on them with shoes on. I think this should be durable, we shall see. Got the first coat all on and letting it dry for a day then 1 more coat.
Gonna leave the footwell boards bare aluminum, just sand in 1 direction with 320 grit wet/dry paper so they are dull and satin looking, if they look like a sore thumb, I will just paint them....black of course! ;)!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 26
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
mrviper700 said:
While I was out tinkering one of my good friends stopped over to make sure my fridge was not out of a couple cold ones..lol! He said "lets do the tunnel while we are here staring at it", so off we went..and got busy.

Started off with removing the rivets securing the yamaha tunnel braces/grips, rear tunnel cap and then a good degreasing with prepsol. We then used 320 grit sandpaper and roughed up the tunnel real well where we were going to apply the bedliner coating. Wiped down with prepsol again and started.

This stuff #$%&* STINKS!! I was getting a little lightheaded while we were rolling this stuff on, its a powerfull solvent smell. We used little foam rollers to apply it, this stuff is thick like gel and takes a while but smooths out. It came out pretty cool, its about the same texture as the gastank is so its gonna blend right in on the sled. I am glad I went this route as I want to ride this sled and when the running boards are painted they scratch easily and then ruin the look. The last Darth build sled the paint was so nice on the running boards I was afraid to put my feet on them with shoes on. I think this should be durable, we shall see. Got the first coat all on and letting it dry for a day then 1 more coat.
Gonna leave the footwell boards bare aluminum, just sand in 1 direction with 320 grit wet/dry paper so they are dull and satin looking, if they look like a sore thumb, I will just paint them....black of course! ;)!

Very cool idea, looks good and should provide pretty good grip also.

i had the same idea with the gas cap, way cheaper then a billet one
P1020335.jpg

Back