SRX Stock Silencer Mod Results !!!!

srx70024

Or.. lack there of.
These are the dyno sheets from the Stage II SRX stock silencer modification that Fix Powersports offers for $260.00. They claim a 7-10 HP gain, just by putting this silencer on a stock SRX. I was told to leave the stock jetting alone, and this silencer mod would clean up the jetting very nicely. As you will see by the dyno sheets below, there was no gain. I did nothing to the sled in between pulls, except change the silencer. We did 2 pulls with the stock silencer and 2 with the modified can, no change.
I called them once I had the results and they insisted that this mod makes the claimed power and that you can't go by what you see in dyno results. ?? Well, then what do you go by ? Haven't figured that one out yet. Pretty much I am SOL in trying for a refund, they won't even entertain the thought. I've called them a few times for a resolution, but I can't seem to get anywhere. It's too bad, I was fairly optimistic about this and now I'm stuck with it. Lesson here just as the old addage goes "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is."
This is a bone stock 2001 SRX 700, absolutely stock.
Have a look for yourselves. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome.
It does sound pretty sweet, but I wasn't in it for the sound. It's for sale if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

That's too bad that the silencer didn't work out. I contacted them awhile back also and they claimed those numbers, but then went on to say "it's not all about horsepower". It does sound better though you say?

Yes, it does sound pretty cool. Alot like a Bender can, has that Formula 1 racey sound to it.

Yeah, I got that "it's not all about hp" bs too. #$%&* I just couldn't believe that they told me you can't go by dyno numbers. Then how did they come up with their "7-10HP gain"? They must have a very in tune "seat of the pants" to "feel" the difference. Ya know? HAAAAAA LOL !!

Yeah, I think they must figure the louder it is the more horsepower it has...I can't believe they make those claims, you prove them wrong, and they won't refund any money. I'd make a fuss about that!!!

I was very polite (seriously) when I called them. They became rather irritated after a while when I questioned how they determined whether or not their mods did anything since dyno's lie and mean nothing.

Hey... you live in MN ? How are you away from Byron, MN ?

I live in central Minnesota, not very close to Byron, which is down south I believe. Journeyman and a few others on this site live closer to that location, however. Are you thinking of having someone go in there and "talk to them"?

Oh, ok.

No, I wouldn't ask anyone to do that. I don't want to get others in the middle of crap like this.

Dunno, we'll see.....

Last edited:
been waiting to hear the low down on this mod since it was talked about quite a while ago,dyno numbers dont lie,thanks for the info-Harvey

not meaning to get off topic but I also noticed something interesting,that dyno sheet shows your srx with stock silencer making peak horsepower around 8400rpms rather than 8600 which is where everyone says to tune to.Would it make sense to tune this sled to run at 8400?Hopefully some more people will jump in here with some opinions.Any one else have some more dyno sheets on an srx?thanks-Harvey

Might be something to look into, or at least threaten the company with...for now though, I would just have people steer clear of them if they are going to behave like that.

yamajeff on this board had the same results. he bought a stock can from me to have a stock one to try after having his done. also had an aftermarket can not sure what one. guess what one had the most power? stock one. after calling them they told him that it was power you couldnt see on a dyno it was seat of the pants horsepower. in other words it is loud so you must be going fast.

Yep I live in the southern part of the Twin Cities. Byron is down by Rochester,Mn. That's about 1.5 hrs. from here south. Sorry to hear this. I know the local people around that area like Jerry. I know of him from the racing days on ice about 12-15 years ago. I do beleive some of his so called claims are far fetched. 7-10 HP on just a silencer mod is outlandish. Maybe if you normally run with a potatoe shoved up your exhaust you'd pick up more HP....LOL!! Now it makes me leary of trying his King Cobra mod for the Viper.

it has always been said to tune the SRX to run at 8400-8500 rpm, because that is where the power peak is

MrViper - Yes, it was a bit rich as you could see by the sheets. It was in the upper 40's that day, but going by what they said, I wanted to leave the jetting alone. And yes, dyno numbers can be tweaked, but these were not. I don't operate like that. I wanted to see results and didn't. Like you said, snake oil and lesson is learned here.
As far as the jetting, we did play with the jetting and a few other things the next day with the stock silencer and found about 6~7 more hp.

That's the other thing... IF in fact this silencer did something, then the bsfc numbers would have dropped and the A/F # should have gone up, and they did not. I tried to explain that to them and of course it was like talking to a wall.

Oh well, such is life. Now I have a target for my 30-30. lol !!

Just want to back up BTV's post as Yamajeff is a very good friend of mine.
The Fixx modified can lost about 2 Hp
Bender's can lost 2 or 3 HP
The STOCK can had the best power!!!!!!!

All runs were on the same Dyno, on the same day, yes it was done "RIGHT"

The sled was on a 2001 SRX that has had some very minor port massaging.
I don't remember the exact numbers as this was 2 years ago, and my memory is shot. (Lots of partying back in the 80's) ;):D :beer:

I don't buy it, If you put the exhuast can on your RPM's should have went out of wack, meaning there is HP being made, mine did and I had to put a clutch kit on to bring it back in line. I cannot seem to see your dyno results, how much HP was showing on the dyno, a stock 700 srx is 130 hp out of the crate and jetting is not going to give you a 6-6 hp increase.

Back