XLV 540 144" build!

Wow! What a beauty day for a drive! Honestly I just wanted to keep driving further north for the hell of it! Anyways, 8hrs driving, 900km and $150 in fuel later I finally brought the old girl home...needs lots of work getting it cleaned up! Noticed both tracks are screwed so I can't even sell those. Skids are in pretty good shape. Working sled even has a kimpex gold rear skid shock, so I'll be putting that on the enticer...if it fits.

So I drove to Verner, very top of lake nippissing.

Last edited:
Almost forgot about the moose! Traffic came to an abrupt stop. There was a truck with sleds infront of me so I couldn't see what was going on....then I heard a shot go off! OPP had to finish off the moose...ya I was up in moose country!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 23
I'm still looking for a skid, and I'm thinking I'll make a stubby seat from the old seat foam with new vinyl. I need a new carb boot, battery, speedo cover and bearing holder as they are worn right through. The bearing is completely gone. I dont know how it even drove. The wheels in the skid are so wobbly I'm suprised they haven't fallen off yet. This whole sled has been neglected for years! I'm honestly afraid of what I'm going to find next.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 18
Got busy thismornin tearin it apart! Hopefully it cleans right up!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 18
I'm still looking for a skid, and I'm thinking I'll make a stubby seat from the old seat foam with new vinyl. I need a new carb boot, battery, speedo cover and bearing holder as they are worn right through. The bearing is completely gone. I dont know how it even drove. The wheels in the skid are so wobbly I'm suprised they haven't fallen off yet. This whole sled has been neglected for years! I'm honestly afraid of what I'm going to find next.

Lookin good Coop, hope you don't find all the crap I did when I built my Phazer!

Thanks Yooper! It all went well and looks to be ok, I'm not diggin into the engine tho, gona run it until she blows and in the meantime do a complete rebuild on the spare. I honestly thought it was going to be pretty bad, but it looks ok...just really dirty and I can't stand a dirty sled! Lots of time to clean it up before the snow starts flyin again.

Do you know how to take apart a primary & secondary? I wouldn't mind rebuilding them if I can... Just don't want a spring or something to fly up at me! Lol. Any tips or tricks?

I have the books at home from leaf spring VK540 and pogo VK540... but have never worked on the clutch... did have someone check it over
while the engine was out and replace the outer bushing . Always need some special tool .....
Before I got mine , someone had blown out both the oil pump cover seal (was missing from sled) and the PTO crank seal probably with ether ...
It ran well and I just used it for tugging a small ski track setter in back yard / bush. It never liked to sit and idle but pulled like a horse ... Finally one Sat
morning I decided to check the plugs ... the PTO side was packed with Almn .. The darn thing still ran and had been like that for probably 3 winters., just
eating away inside ... about a 3/16 groove from pin up the wall , all the skirts packed into the ports. etc... even the mag side seal had been on fire at some
point and drooped .. Crank was packed with filings ,,.... I should have known better and checked it when I brought it home ...
After saying all that .... check that engine ..... !!!
I had trouble finding a donor engine and ended up with one marked SR540 ... bigger reed valves etc and had crank rebuilt on it and new pistons and seals..
It now even idles ...
You must be an hour west of me judging by the travel distance.. i'm near Newmarket ont
Ron

Yes, new market is exactly 1 hr away from where I live. I'm in fergus.

I did a compression test before I bought it. Within 5psi of one another. Plugs look good too. Like I say, I'm going to be rebuilding the spare engine. But I'd like to rebuild these clutches and get them cleaned up. I could easily use them the way they are, but for the price to rebuild them Id like to do it...can't be too expensive!

These engines are tough as nails! Plenty of power to turn a 144"! Lol

Thought if I've got the engine out, I might as well strip it right down and clean it all! These things are so simple! Not much to them.

Goin to pick up RS venture skid and nytro seat tomorrow!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 15
Ya this one is like new! It needs cleaned up a bit...just has a bit of dust on it. I like the all black with the red stitching.
That seat combined with that skid is Gona be quite the comfy ride!

Went and picked up the 31T & 17T gears and chain from a guy thismorning. Got the set for $25!!! They came out of a 540 SRV. XLV bottom gear is a 29T and top is 17T. Hopefully I'm done with driving to the ends of the earth for parts! I still need to clean the engine then I can put that back in and focus on putting it all together.

Got a bit more done today! Painted the pipe flat black, engine is back in, bars and new cables are on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg