XLV 540 144" build!

Ya if they are clean and in good condition they can be a lot of money forsure! I like the $500 sleds. They still run great, but usually require a bit of work to clean them up. I'm actually looking at buying a 86 trapper 340 in north bay. I've got some plans for it If I decide to make the drive.

Does anybody know how to hook up a heated visor plug in? I'm guessing it's the same concept as the hand warmers. Red wire on plug in to any yellow wire on sled & black to black??? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks guys.

You may have a white wire coming off the stator. This is for accessories. It may or may not be plugged into the harness

Would that be the same for any accessory on an SRV (not E-start)? I am thinking of putting in an accessory plug on my SRV and my Phazer so I can plug in my phone or gps or visor or whatever.

Wade

Ok so I got the tunnel on, flap installed, painted the skis for the hell of it and put a cam handle bar pad on the bars to hide the rats nest of wires. Waiting on a skidoo freeride rear bumper from the dealer and hopefully will be making the bracket for the seat, then I'm done and just waiting on snow!

image.jpg (86.6 KB)
image.jpg (87.3 KB)
image.jpg (107.2 KB)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 26
I'll try to get some this weekend. I know it starts and drives & is absolutely filthy under the hood, but I haven't even begun to look it over. Just for the kids. I won't be doing any custom work to it. I did order a new seat cover from Ken gowing out of north bay. Only $65.

Well guys, it's almost done and ready for some snow! A good buddy just gave me a 12L mountain performance gas tank linq kit. Never seen a black gas tank before. Pretty cool!

Oh, almost forgot. Snow is piling up pretty good!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 14
Looks cool. How does it sit when your are on it?
We got hit with 8 inches of snow lastnight. If I had one of your sleds I'd be driving around town right now!

Sled sits pretty nice! We got at least 5" last night from that system! Lake effect snow off & on for the rest of today...that's ok, I'll take it! Lol

Sled looks VERY COOL !!!! I love the idea of adding newer tech to the old sleds. Will be very interesting to see how she works
Great work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey thanks bud! It's almost done. I just need to figure out a way to mount the seat, figure out the wiring for the handle bar heaters which has me scratchin my head lately, mount the rear bumper & that new gas tank! They work awesome! I highly recommend building one to anybody looking for a cheap off trail sled. Even though I haven't tried mine yet, my buddies all have them and say theyre wicked fun sleds to ride and they do perform well. I watched them ride theirs last winter and this year at the grass drags!

So I got the spare 12L gas tank mounted yesterday, very simple install and I think a very good product. Picking up the material for the seat on Tuesday so hopefully I'll get the mount made up over the holidays.

I do have a question for anybody that knows. As some of you know it has electric start, I'm wondering if the concept is the same as on a car where the stator (generator) will keep the battery charged while running. I'm thinking it's like the alternator on a vehicle but not sure. Id like to hookup a heated shield wire which will hook up directly to the battery and would also like to hook up a cell phone charger from Powermadd which I believe also can be hooked up directly to the battery. Would I be able to do this? Will it drain the battery quick? Just thinking since I've changed my mind and I did purchase a trail pass! Lol

yes. if yours is like most any other yamaha from that vintage, you should have a white wire from the stator to the rectifier. from there it will be the red wire out of the rectifier and it should be fused to the battery. the rectifier converts to dc voltage to charge the battery.

be aware there is certain voltage at given rpms. in other words, if your drawing lots of extra power at idle, your robbing the battery's charge. be sure and in-line fuse any accessory your tapping in.

I've got white wire with a red stripe coming from stator. There is a red wire connected to the rectifier which leads to another part that leads to the positive with a inline fuse...that's what it looks like anyways. First picture with blue connector has the red wire to rectifier. And second picture is where the fuse is located. The wire attachments will have inline fuses.

image.jpg (64.5 KB)
image.jpg (68.0 KB)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 8
Just looked at the heated shield wire and it doesn't have an inline fuse. Is it really needed for the shield? Do they draw that much power? I'm going to be buying a battery tender next week also and it comes with a quick disconnect which allows me to also connect a USB connector so I can use my phone if needed. That I know has an inline fuse, but if I leave the house with a "fresh battery" every time, should I need to worry? I normally don't sit at idle for extended periods of time.

thats the red wire and the fuse i was referring to. i am surprised that the wire feeding the rectifier has a red tracer unless its been spliced. most those older sleds i always thought white was the rectifier feed. if you have ran the sled and the battery is staying charged, things must be working. do you have a wiring diagram for that sled? what year and is the engine original to the machine? not that i matters, just curious.

i havent wired a heated shield in years, but the last one was similar to an rca style plug. the female end mounted to the cowl or thereabouts and needed a power feed. i fused between the power end and the power supply but it may have been overkill. i just like protection and it may have not been necessary, seems like it was small gauge wires.

Back