XLV 540 144" build!

Do you have any plans on how to bring up the nose as to level it off the sled? Or is it remaining as is for now?

Last edited:

Would anybody happen to know why the rectifier starts smoking and getting hot right away as soon as I hook up the positive to the battery? It seems to be the red wire that's smoking.....

image.jpg (77.7 KB)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Does any body know how to hook up handle bar warmers. I'm just wondering what wires I need to be tying into. I'm guessing I need to be looking for any black wire for the ground. Not sure about where to hook up the positive or what color wires I should be looking for.

XLV should have warmers if it's 1985 or newer.

Yellow is lighting power. Yellow/black stripe should be power for warmers (85 and up). Black is ground. Power needs to be fused, switched and resisted (for hi/low heat) before it gets to the warmers. If you don't have the Yellow/black you can use yellow but lights may be dim when the warmers are on.

opsled

opsled

I've got it all hooked up how I think it should be according to what you've said. Too late to fire up sled now, kids are snoozin. But I'll try tomorrow. I've got 1 wire from each side connected and hooked up to black ground. I then connected the other 2 wires into the "off" switch. Then connected the high/low to the positive yellow/black.

Got those tethers hooked up today! They work, thanks for the help on that opsled!

image.jpg (84.8 KB)
image.jpg (89.3 KB)
image.jpg (74.2 KB)
image.jpg (84.9 KB)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 10
I got it working guys! I think....sure does take a while to get warm. Thanks for all the help guys! Much appreciated.

should work at idle. you need a rectifier in the mix somewhere to even out the load. should be a ceramic looking block mounted on the right side of the steering hoop
I expect to be corrected if I am wrong, but I'm under the impression that the ceramic block you speak of is actually a resistor for the "low" setting on the warmers.

I believe you are correct TJ, that's how I got it hooked up...I just assumed that's what snow dad was referring too.

Last edited:
I did a bit of dry fitting tonight and I think I've got the angle of the sled along with the skid, tunnel ext & seat set. Everything looks & feels good so I think I'm Gona go with it.

image.jpg (84.4 KB)
image.jpg (91.8 KB)
image.jpg (82.4 KB)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 20
I got the electric start all hooked up and working. Turns out it was the rectifier after all. It's going to be pretty cool to have e-start on this hog!

image.jpg (82.1 KB)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 11
Thanks Vincent! Told the wife I wasn't trail riding this year, just vintage off trail...so I won't be gone all day. Just a few hours on the vintage instead of an all day thing with the guys. And I wanted to pave the driveway. I'll get another trail sled eventually, but I'm Gona play around off trail with the vintage sleds for a bit! Cheaper anyways.

I was considering going vintage as well. As I've enjoy many hours of riding on late 70s Exciter 440, Enticer 250 & 300, 1991 enticer 400 long track, and a 1992 venture 500 153" track. Problem is. Anything nice is as much or close to what I bought my 700 Venture for.

Last edited:

Back