What's 2017 Going to Bring?

Bad rods, hurricane posted a thread in the viper section on the 4 stroke side showing differences in rods in 16s. What's unknown as of yet is how many have the bad rods. It almost seems like a bad batch made it through.

I was following a thread on hardcoresledder. Some guy on the west coast had a trail turbo grenade. The dealer installed it even though the sled was build after the cutoff date where they know the problem rods made it into the motors. The installed a new motor, new boost controller to make sure it was only 5psi went out again and 20 miles on the new motor grenaded another one. It doesn't look good for the durability reputation although problems are not the issue, it's if Yamaha if forthcoming and honest about it and take the right course to fix it. This guy got a 100% refund buy back from corporate Yamaha so it seems like they know there is a demon at hand. I think it's far from a bonded a arm type situation and Yamaha has never screwed customers before but it's also been a long time since the srx crank recall too.

This is the end of Yamaha's new sleds. When the srviper motor is not reliable, they have nowhere to go, especially with all of the funds drawn out of R and D.

hopefully yamaha does something...its time to bring back a 2 stroke and nothing in partnership with artic shat

That's what it is, factory installed turbo...

If it is then wtf yamaha. Whats with all the expect the unexpected and something that hasnt been done before. A factory installed turbo has been offered by cat for years and the viper turbo has been easily available even if it has to be dealer installed so i wouldnt call that new either, just less of a hastle.

If it is then wtf yamaha. Whats with all the expect the unexpected and something that hasnt been done before. A factory installed turbo has been offered by cat for years and the viper turbo has been easily available even if it has to be dealer installed so i wouldnt call that new either, just less of a hastle.
Rather trust my dealer than the arctic cats production line putting in a turbo on a SRviper:ORC,went from bad to worse.http://cs.amsnow.com/sno/b/news/arc...l-2016-arctic-cat-9000-turbo-snowmobiles.aspx

Last edited:
I would love to see a revived/revised 2 stroke....chances of yamaha actually doing it...I say slim.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They actually have great potential in a fuel injected revised version of the viper triple. Remember the skidoo 600 sdi that turned out to be bulletproof and a fan favorite is completely tbi injection. There is nothing about it that is part of the motor. I'd love to see a smooth as butter sdi 700 triple with 2 piece heads. That thing would be a class winner overnight. And a new chassis to put it in.

the competition has been continuously updating there designs as standards change, i feel that it would be hard to all of a sudden jump back into the game starting from scratch. for this reason i think that retrofitting any old design is out of the question too. back to the drawing board.

Yamaha hasn't been out of the 2 stroke game. Just in snowmobiles, so they don't really have to go back to the drawing boards, they know what to do. That being said I don't know if they're going to bother to venture that road or not

the competition has been continuously updating there designs as standards change, i feel that it would be hard to all of a sudden jump back into the game starting from scratch. for this reason i think that retrofitting any old design is out of the question too. back to the drawing board.

Arctic cat just made their first in house engine (the 600 ctec-2). yamaha is an engine builder over all and can easily get back in the game and has clean burning 2 stroke outboard technology already.

Last edited:
For the fit, finish and quality level that arctic cat has been known to build an 800 ctec2 is the logical next step for them. I think that it has a lot of enginuety on the engineering side but on the fit and finish side you couldn't give me a cat. Now if their big reveal is a replastic'd procross chassis in blue and red with a cat built 2 stole to "appeal" to Yamaha riders that want a 2 stroke well then I'm ready to call Yamaha a big bunch of sellout's and wait for the announcement that they are leaving snomo production. We are now what 10 years removed since Yamaha launched a new chassis and as if buying cat chassis with a Yamaha motor isn't bad enough, a cat engine with a tuning fork on it is slap in the face to all of us that want a product not because of what it is but the engineering behind it and the quality that went into it.

For the fit, finish and quality level that arctic cat has been known to build an 800 ctec2 is the logical next step for them. I think that it has a lot of enginuety on the engineering side but on the fit and finish side you couldn't give me a cat. Now if their big reveal is a replastic'd procross chassis in blue and red with a cat built 2 stole to "appeal" to Yamaha riders that want a 2 stroke well then I'm ready to call Yamaha a big bunch of sellout's and wait for the announcement that they are leaving snomo production. We are now what 10 years removed since Yamaha launched a new chassis and as if buying cat chassis with a Yamaha motor isn't bad enough, a cat engine with a tuning fork on it is slap in the face to all of us that want a product not because of what it is but the engineering behind it and the quality that went into it.

this would be the death of Yamaha for snowmobiles...Arctic Cat is pure crap.

You took the words right out of my mouth.i been reading all of the comments on this & trying how to word it.i really love my sleds & I am restoring a 83 vmax over the summer.thats how much YAM means to me. to see what's coming I really don't care.sorry guys but the writing is on the wall.what ever comes out it will be nice.:letitsnow:letitsnow

as I understand emissions, you can bank your credits or spread them over your line. They have done nothing but bank credits. I think their line can manage an efi 2 stroke. I don't think that is any kind of issue. It's the same old yamaha model, don't build what people want, build something and let people buy it. If it happens to line up with a market, then thats good too. They seem to in no way want to be competitive in the snowmobile industry.

Back