Venture Conversion

Thanks guys.

03viperguy said:
looks ok, have to see the sled all done. red may be better, but have to see it all done like I said :) are you planning on keeping the HUGE touring windshield or going either low or stock sxr height? coming right along!

You now have me thinking about cutting it down, thanks for the extra work. :o| ;)! I didn't really like it when I put it up there the other day and it's beat to ____, so a cut and paint may be in order.

mountainman said:
looks perty cool, not the colors i wud have gone with but its nice lookin, is that a stock set a bars i see???? WHY?

They are on the list, although they may have to wait till next year. I want to get a 2" riser but that will be wasted on a new set of bars, cause I'll need a taller one for the new bars.

yamyrider said:
the mirrors stand out too much in white. I would go the red/orange. And as someone suggested get a diferent windy or cut yours down.
You are doing an A+ job. Can't wait to see more.

Another vote on the windy, the pressure is building. Probably going to wait on the mirror color untill it's all back together.

REDMATER said:
here is a thought,put the red maple leaf on the leading side of the mirror in the same color red

Ya know, that's a really good idea, I'll have to think that over some. And I see "redsnake3" agrees.

maxx0770 said:
i think that the sled looks awesome. great to see someone doing a conversion from a two up to a more aggressive looking sled. my uncle has a venture with 11,000 miles on it and it is still running strong. i love the colors but i think that the mirrors should go and that the windshield should be cut down to barely cover the guage pod, and painted white. Then you can get white hand guards and a riser block. If you really want mirrors i saw some guys mounting small ones on the back side of their hand guards. It is a lot sleeker and the handguards work great. Just my opinion though, keep us posted it is looking great...

I didn't really think about dropping the mirrors because I would have had to do something with the holes in the hood. I ride point most of the time so the mirrors help me keep track of the group. And yet another vote for the windy cut down. Man you guys are salve drivers. ;)!

auji700triple said:
i think its gonan turn out sweet, but i donno about that windshield.. take it off and get a short one and your there...

OK, that's about all I can take, the windy will be cut at some point before the sled hits snow!!! The TY.com forum has spoken.

on the mirrors, you probably would want them either black or red. if you could paint them the color of the hood and also the boots then that'd be the coolest (i think) because it matches the hood and you don't want things like the mirrors standing out. they are purposeful, but usually ya want the streamlined look. thats just my opinion...

Minor set back today. After sandblasting the slide rails, I found a crack in one side at the hole that the front shock shaft bolts through. It now has to go out for welding. :o| :o| :o| On a positive note, I straightened the front shock mount shaft and added a gusset. Some before and after pics for you.

PS The shop that is doing all the powder coating is located in the Windsor, ON area, but they have a US shipping address for you Americans. They can accept your parts at the US address and return them from there.

And before any of you laugh at the holes in my gusset, I used grinder to do it. :Moon:

Attachments

• hummm.jpg
    hummm.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 38
  • shaftA.jpg
    shaftA.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 29
  • shaftB.jpg
    shaftB.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 34
  • shaftC.jpg
    shaftC.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
cracked slide rails

I have been having slide rail cracking "issues" on my Vmax's as of late myself.
Started a thread on it but didn't get alot of feedback on it.
All of the rails were cracked at the same frt swing arm attachment area.

caravanman said:
I have been having slide rail cracking "issues" on my Vmax's as of late myself.
Started a thread on it but didn't get alot of feedback on it.
All of the rails were cracked at the same frt swing arm attachment area.

Mine is cracked ahead of that area. From what I can figure, the stress of bending the rails in toward the center of the sled, due to the bent shock mount shaft, is probably what caused it. But I'm no forensic investigator. I saw your thread but didn't have any input at the time and still don't really. If it happens again, I must be too fat, oopps, I mean fast. :lol:

haha, no offense caravan but thats what i was thinking when you first posted about cracked rails!!! i saw that avatar photo and just clicked in my head that you probably landed on the "toe" wrong!!!

All right. For all you "belly aching" about my "grandpa" windy, I cut it down tonight. It's now somewhere between the Yamaha "Low" and "Medium" windy, around 11 inches.

Attachments

• windy1.jpg
    windy1.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 23
  • windy2.jpg
    windy2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 19
  • windy3.jpg
    windy3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 25
wow, looking good! nice, I like that it isnt SUPER low. too low looks less sleek and more goofy ( I JST posted this somewhere else lol!) great compromise, perfect!

man, i wish there was something to do about that black on the bottom of the windy. just looks out of place. hmm... i dunno. otherwise looks good, creative too!!!

stickers look great on there Ian,it was a pleasure doing the work for you,anything else i can help you out with just give me a shout,thank you.....The Mater

More Bling

Guess who's been learning how to use the Vinyl cutter at the Race Car shop?!?! The "Vmax Rage 600" stickers are "Redmater's", the rest of it is my learning curve. Glad I don't do this for a living, darn tedious.

:WayCool:

Attachments

• hood1.jpg
    hood1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 20
  • hood2.jpg
    hood2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 24
  • hood3.jpg
    hood3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 23
  • hood4.jpg
    hood4.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 21
  • hood5.jpg
    hood5.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 22
Ian, those flames look cool,and yes this type of work is tedious and time consuming.but i like doing this kind of work

Thanks for the compliments dudes. ;)!

I'm waiting on the rest of the rear suspension powder coating, have to wait till he runs some white. Got the trailing arms back today but haven't had a chance to put it back together. Maybe tommorow.
Do the Mirrors look a little better now with all the other changes???

Back