V-Max 4 engine rebuild

I have seen worse heads run. But if I was spending that much time on the motor, I would do something with that head.

I shipped a dirtbike head overseas and it cost $45.00 in shipping...

Thats not really much of a crack to fix, so the case will be just fine. NOW THIS IS A CRACK!

100_0412.jpg

Try to find new/used head from somewhere. I bet Vmax4.com guys will help you out.

familyman said:
I have seen worse heads run. But if I was spending that much time on the motor, I would do something with that head.

I shipped a dirtbike head overseas and it cost $45.00 in shipping...

Thats not really much of a crack to fix, so the case will be just fine. NOW THIS IS A CRACK!

100_0412.jpg

Naah!!!, little J/B weld and she'll be as good as new!!! LOL

Hi guys !
Gees I`m so greatful for all the replies, I really appreciate them.

03viperguy, I mostly use normal degreasing fluid, the ones you buy on a spraycan, can use them to remove asfalt from your car etc. Diesel also works fine. Will keep the pics coming:).

Familyman, gees that was a busted case. I guess you didn`t fix it?. Hehe.

I`m kind of disappointed to read that you don`t like the head, hehe:).
I agree that it doesn`t look good, but like my dad often sais, "as long as it serves the purpose, it`s allright" . Personaly I don`t know that much about gas flow inside the combustion chamber but I really don`t think it will make a difference?. The "bowl" is just as nice as the other heads, the flat edge is the one that has taken the beating and I doubt that it will make a difference that it ain`t as smooth as it should be?. Or will it?. Only thing is that carbon might attach easier to it?.
Gees why am I going against all you guys who has much more knowledge then me, I don`t know.

Thank you so much Total Recreation for giving me such a great offer, it really proves the "bond" between all the Yamaha owners!. I have to think about it, will talk to my friend who ownes the sled. (shipping from canada takes longer then from the USA, my SRX can took almost 6 weeks)
I`ve run much worse heads on my mopeds, on time I used a crank with that had a bruce in the little end, so the pin bearing went to the "everlasting hunting fields" (norwegian saying) and spread around in the engine, the pins hit the head and it really looked bad. Worked nice afterwards tho.

Reimond, I can try to smooth out the busted-up-looking edge with some sandpaper oil, if I`m careful and try not to sand on the gasket edge. ?.

Daman, thanks for always looking through my threads.

This morning I went to my friend and picked up the carbs and airbox, then I went home and started cleaning them. For the first time in my life I found real dirt in a sled carb, only in the jet-change-plug though.

HPIM2061Medium.jpg

All of them looked like this.
HPIM2063Medium.jpg

Carbs cleaned

I payed attention to the mainjet on carb nr. 2 (cylinder nr.2 was the one that seized), but it was 100% clean. (earlier someone suggested that a clogged up main jet could have caused the seizing).

At 12`o clock I tried calling the welder who was to fix the crankhouse, but he didn`t answer. I sent him an SMS an said that he could just drop it off as the supermarked when he was done with it.
16.00 he called me and he had been really busy all day, and also had to attend a meeting with some bosses so he hadn`t had the time to fix it. So I wount get the engine together this weekend after all, that sucks but that`s just how it is.

Wellwell I`ll keep you posted:).

I reallt would replace the head. after all that work, why would you not want to put it back the right way!

03viperguy, basically I agree with you.
But, as long as no one can tell me really why I can use it, then I don`t see any reason to get a new head.
It doesn`t look as smooth as the others but it`s a mechanical part so how it looks ain`t essential, atleast not to me:).
Gees I don`t mean to sound like a "besserwisser", sorry for that hehe.

Why do I need to change the head?.

Squish area is critical for proper burn. In worst case it could start detonate because of bad surface.

I think you would be fine, but when i look you normal clean and nice work i can't believe you will use this bad part

Hi guys!

Thanks for the reply Reimond, detonation is when the gas/air ignites at the wrong time?. I feel kind of dumb when I hear how disappointed you get when I say I want to use the head, but the thing is, it`s not my sled I`m just repairing it for a friend, I actually havent mentioned the ugly-head issue to my friend but I`m pretty sure that he will tell me to use it (he has some motor knowledge).
I will try to smoothen the squish area alittle more, without removing to much metal.
The thing is that we want to get the sled done because the snow can come any day now.
I wouldn`t be in the slightest doubt about saying yes to the head offer if it was closer, shipping from Canada takes ages.
However I guess we can use the ugly-head temporary until the new one arrives.

Gees don`t be mad at me for being so "difficult" hehe:).

Well anyway I hope the welder will get the crankhouse fixed to morrow so that I can start putting it together on Tuesday.

Wellwell :)

all I have to say is do it right the first time, because your friend isnt going to want to do it again. If I would have the slightest doubt on a part....replace it,even if it takes a couple days to get, like gaskets or parts. Its better to do it now then have something go bad out on the trail when we finaly do get snow. Lookin good so far.

I would say just ask your buddy if he wants to get the new head or not. That way it will not be your fault ether way. could get real messy. Better safe then sorry!

Just what I would do. Silversnow

as long as the head is not warped it will work. However from a performance stance point I would change the head. I wonder if a machine shop could fill that dent in some how and then plane it smooth again? It would cheaper I'm sure to source a good useds one.

Run it!

Last motor I had that looked like that had needle bearings stuck into the bottom of the head. Once they were removed it went back together. The head look 10 times worse then that. The guy I sold it to runs the dog out of it and its been running for 7 years, every season on the river.

That head wouldnt give me any doubt what so ever, I said replace it just because you have everything else basically new.

I understand what your comming from. My sled was in 1000 pieces two days before a major snowstorm....Anyway I was riding in 2 days. I hate waiting for parts!

Hi guys!
Thanks for the replies:).

I brought the head with me when I went to work today. All the people who works at the military work shop come and buy lunch every day. One of those guys has been repairing outboard engines for 25 years or so. I asked him about the head and he told me not to worry about it, he almost laughed at me. His son seized a Rotax 670 last year and he said that his head looked worse then mine.
So I wount replace the head.

Total Recreation: It might look like there is a scratch, but it`s only visual, can`t feel it with my finger/nail. Thanks for looking seriously "into" the pictures.

Silversnow: Good point, however I`m sure it wount be a problem, don`t think the head will cause any problems.

NB-Viper: I`m sure it`s possible to fix it, could probably just use a nice grinding tool to smoothen it more. I don`t know.. .

Familyman: YES! :) I will! Thanks for the reply!.

I spoke to the welder today and he hadn`t fixed it today either, gees!!. I told him to send me an SMS when he had fixed it, he thought he would do it tomorrow. Let`s hope so!.

Oh, the weather report sais it will get colder later in the week and there will come snow!. (maybe!!! ).

GEES!! :)

Hi there fellow snow-wanters.

Today I finally got the crankcase back from welding, the guy said that as he welded some new cracks appeared so he had to be very careful when welding, but he did reinforce the weld so he was sure it would be OK.

Here are some pics:
HPIM2086Medium.jpg

HPIM2087Medium.jpg

:).

We still havent got anymore snow, but weather report said it would snow tomorrow.. .
Going to work tomorrow so I can`t start rebuilding tomorrow.. :(. Wellwell

Back