Fogging 3 cylinders at once

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
How are you guys fogging your tripples so that all 3 carbs are getting the spray at once?On my SRX I try to get as much into the carbs as possible but never at the same time I have to jump from one to another.Has anyone come up with a way to make a 1 into 3 spraying straw?I'm not sure how big a deal this is I suppose as long as the fogging oil is getting into the base and cyl it should do its job even if it is one at a time.

Can be a little of a pain to do all three at the same time.I now take and pull the oil cable wide open and run the engine for about 15 minutes.This gets a good amount of oil into the engine and then I also pour some down each plug hole and turn motor over a few times.Run carbs empty and drain the tank the best you can.I also ran SeaFoam in the tank so it circulates the carbs and coats and cleans as it is runs through.

I don't have the triple but on my twin after I turn the fuel off and it is pulling the rest out of the lines I flip the oil lever to full and squirt the carb inlets with fogging oil. When it is dead I pull the boost bottle and give each cylinder a healthy squirt. Pull the plugs and hit them up a bit with the fogging oil as well. Then crank it over a bit with out ignition on. Then I repeat the fogging.

Only down side is it is a bit smoky for about 20 minutes the first ride of the season. I am on my original seals and crank bearings at 8400 miles so I figure it is working correctly.

how about taking off the fuel line and sticking it in to a QUART of AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID???? How about RUNNING the sled until the fuel pump sucks HALF of the ATF into the carbs and into the engine.. Your WHOLE FUEL SYSTEM,,, your BOTTOM END,,, your TOP END and your POWERVALVES will all be FOGGED TO DEATH and your WHOLE COMBUSTION chamber and POWERVALVES will be CLEANING ALL SUMMER!!!!!! it is somewhat of a BEAR to get the ATF out of the fuel system in the fall when you are ready to get her ready for the sledding season,,, but,,, it is a LOT LESS WORK than trying to CLEAN PILOT JETS and POWERVALVES when it's cold outside in NOVEMBER!!!!! AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID has VERY GOOD DETERGENTS !!! have you ever seen a car with a trans leak (that has been leaking for a long time)????? Now you know what I am talking about!!!! No,, It really doesn't matter WHICH ATF you buy!!!!! The friction modifiers in different types WILL NOT DO ANYTHING to your sled motor!!!!!! (the CHEAPER,,,THE BETTER) Gary Oles nosboy

When the sled sucks the ATF and the ATF starts getting into the combustion chambers,,, TRYING TO KEEP the motor around 5000 rpm will help get the ATF through the combustion chamber more,, and do a BETTER JOB of FOGGING!!!!! ATF works a HUNDRED TIMES BETTER than ANY fogging oil out there!!!!! (and it's cheaper too!!!)

Yes,,,, it WILL SMOKE the HECK out of your neighborhood,,, but IT WILL SMOKE MORE in the FALL!!!! (especially when it softens and SPITS OUT the GARBAGE on your powervalves)!!!!! TRY IT...... You'll be GLAD YOU DID!!! Gary Oles nosboy

I have ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER... Can't you tell????? (hyperactivity too!!!)

yeah heard about doing it that way,but how the hell would you ever get the motor started in the fall on the oil in the carbs.Don't want to pull the starter 1000 times and 3 days later if you know what I mean.By that time will need a new starter rope for sure.

I don't quite follow this. Sucking in ATF instead of gas into your carb, ok but as soon as the oil displaces the gas in the float chamber and ATF just starts to enter the cylinder it will quit. Might work for coating the carbs but how much gets in the cylinders?

In my Old Motoski and Polaris I used to put a healthy amount of 2 cycle oil into the gas after it had warmed up and ran that for at least 5 minutes holding the throttle so she would not quit. It smokes real bad. The Moto is a 1980 and never had any engine work etc and always starts and goes. I do this with approx a gallon of gas in the tank not draining afterwards either. The oil seem to keep everything in good shape. I just add fresh gas on top in the early winter and some gas into each cylinder to get it going.

No that I have a Venture 600 with these automatic sensing carbs, I am not quit sure how to approach it. Other than maybe starting it up several times throughout the summer.

Last edited:
How i do it is i have a helper and 3 can's of fogg oil, helper runs two cans
and i run the third and hold the throttle keeping it running,wile spraying
in the carb throat, with the air box off it's not a bad job, going to be a
challenge doing the v-4 tho...lol (4 cans).

my twins i pull the boost bottle off and spray in the intakes with two cans..

starting it up in the summertime is the ABSOLUTE WORST THING you can do to your sled... ABSOLUTELY the WORST THING YOU CAN DO TO YOUR SLED!!!!! Do I need to elaborate on that?????? the ATF will work FINE and you MAY NEED to drain your carbs if you want to,,, but,,,, it will work better than ANYTHING ELSE out there!!!

i made a one into three and a one into two and a single. For all the different sleds. If you want I will mail it to you if you mail it back........... If you dont mail it back I will come visit you.

Tod

just noticed you ate in Canada........mailing will take forever.

Get some small air line and some Tees and make one.

Fogging oil is made to stick to the metal parts in the engine during extended storage. I don't think regular 2 stroke oil is as sticky as fogging oil, so I don't think you would get as much protection by just letting the oil pump run extra rich. ATF doesn't seem like it would give long term protection either, but that's just a guess. I'm not an oil expert.

I always just alternate from carb to carb to carb - back and forth. I don't think it's crucial to spray into all carbs simultaneously.

Ditto on Old Thumpers post.
The engine will run on the fogging oil, so shut off the fuel flow and just before the engine dies as it runs out of gas, begin spraying with your two fogging cans and alternate between the carbs. Run it for a while like that so that all the gas is gone and then try to flood the engine with the fogging oil to kill it. If it does not die, quickly hit the kill switch. You might want to crank up the idle speed or like daman have a helper control the throttle so it runs a little faster while fogging to prevent it from killing too easily. Then when the throttle is released, the sled will usually die.

Two stroke oil is not recommended for fogging an engine. Fogging oil has the ingredients for the express purpose of protecting an engine. Two stroke oil does not.

Automatic trans fluid is the supposed miracle cure for anything and everything. It is mainly just petroleum oil - the same as motor oil - with red dye and some additives. The red dye is used so you can tell the difference between it and motor oil. The reason that engine oil turns black is from the combustion in the engine. If you ran trans fluid in an engine and motor oil in the transmission, the trans fluid would get dirty and the motor oil would stay clean.

Last edited:
When I have time,, I
ll explain the detergent capabilities and the effects of ATF... You will be AMAZED!!!

Trans fluid has been used for engine desludge successfully for years. You're showing your age Gary ;>)

Never heard it used for fogging but can attest to it's cleaning properties both for combustion chambers and crankcase (4 stroke) cleaning.

ATF does work, but Gary does not stress the smoke enough.

It REALLY, REALLY, REALLY SMOKES !!!

And it REALLY, REALLY, REALLY STINKS, for a LONG, LONG, LONG TIME !!!

The smell will hang around for weeks, so if you choose this method be sure to do it in a place you do not frequent. Maybe down the road at the neighbors or something.:rofl:

Back