Fogging 3 cylinders at once

HEY STRETCH... Did you start that sled up yet after it was sitting with the ATF in it all summer????? You could PROBABLY pull your powervalves and WIPE THEM CLEAN with a RAG and NOT HAVE TO scrape off ANYTHING!!! It SHOULD be as soft as PUPPY POOP!!!!

I agree with using ATF 100%. Gary, instead of pumping raw ATF into the fuel system, what about pre mixing the last 3 gallons in the tank at about 20:1 and run the sled for 30 min or so untill it gets thouroughly through and coats everything...

nosboy said:
HEY STRETCH... Did you start that sled up yet after it was sitting with the ATF in it all summer????? You could PROBABLY pull your powervalves and WIPE THEM CLEAN with a RAG and NOT HAVE TO scrape off ANYTHING!!! It SHOULD be as soft as PUPPY POOP!!!!

Just fired it up a few days ago. took the 3rd turn of the key and it fired right up. I think my whole block doesn't like me after it smoked them all out lol. I'm going to check the power valves this week. I'll post pics when I do.
;)!

Atf

stretchSXV said:
Just fired it up a few days ago. took the 3rd turn of the key and it fired right up. I think my whole block doesn't like me after it smoked them all out lol. I'm going to check the power valves this week. I'll post pics when I do.
;)!
I would like to see the power valve pics. Neighbors LOL

Engine fogging

Since its that time of year, i'll dig this back up. Very easy to do, even better with a helper! Put some junky spark plugs in. Start engine and let run up to operating temp. Pull the fuel hose line at the check valve and install an extension hose on the fitting and drop into a bottle of atf. Have a helper hold the bottle from spilling and start the sled. With your left hand operate the throttle and pull the oil cable to full max while keeping the sled running, sucking the atf down until the engine stalls out. ( better if on a stand). Remove belt and plugs, then spray some fogging oil down the plug holes while turning over by primary. Really easy to do.

I went all HI TECH shade tree. Took an old 80-90 gearlube jug, cut a hole in bottom, attached wire to bottom( to hang like an IV bag) used 2ft of hose with a ball vavle shut off at jug. Pulled gas line of front of tank and ran hose from "reserve tank" Filled reserve tank with gas approx 3/4 of a quart. Started sled and let it warm up and when gas was nearly gone held the idle just below engagement and poored ATF in until it died. Pulled the plugs and gave each cylinder a snort. Used 1 can of fogging oil to glaze the outside of entire engine. Removed belt and clucthes as I plan on tearing down and cleaning in off season.

Ding said:
ATF does work, but Gary does not stress the smoke enough.

It REALLY, REALLY, REALLY SMOKES !!!

And it REALLY, REALLY, REALLY STINKS, for a LONG, LONG, LONG TIME !!!

The smell will hang around for weeks, so if you choose this method be sure to do it in a place you do not frequent. Maybe down the road at the neighbors or something.:rofl:
Good info to include...

nosboy said:
Hey DV8..... MY STUFF runs FINE too!!!! I'm STILL trying to get the racecar into the NINES,,,but,,, Thats a MONEY THING!!!!!
Just for the record,,, the RACECAR has been in the NINES for a couple of years.....

o.k. if I took the lid off the airbox and poured ATF toward the ends (could even tilt the machine) then center.. it sure looks like a downhill path to the carb throat, if the choke is off nothing to stop it, no? crank it over a couple times to suck it all in good.

I'd think if you marine stabil a low tank of non-ethanol and did this ATF down the airbox then a couple more oz. in ea. jug trough the plug hole you'd be golden come late fall without epic restart effort.

dblshock said:
o.k. if I took the lid off the airbox and poured ATF toward the ends (could even tilt the machine) then center.. it sure looks like a downhill path to the carb throat, if the choke is off nothing to stop it, no? crank it over a couple times to suck it all in good.

I'd think if you marine stabil a low tank of non-ethanol and did this ATF down the airbox then a couple more oz. in ea. jug trough the plug hole you'd be golden come late fall without epic restart effort.

This is my "shade tree" method. I start sled and let it warm up. Once warm I pull the elbow apart in fuel line behind airbox (some sleds have others wont, my srx's do) Connect my "I.V." filled with 50/50 atf/fuel mix. I.V. is a 80/90 gearlube type jug with short hose on nipple. Fire sled back up. You can clearly tell when atf is getting to motor (SMOKE!!!) When idle starts to stumble I hog the aerisol fogging oil into back of carbs to kill it. Once every thing cools off I pull belts/clutces and hose down engine bay with remaining fogging oil. Everything shines nicely and wont corrode during the summer.

bluemonster1 said:
raise the back end up,straight up with a winch from a ceiling beam.Then you just pour into the carbs with ease..

I like it..no need for all the fuss of pulling carbs..

..anf if for any reason the jets clog use that same technique to pour in the Motorcraft carb tune-up and in a couple days it will clear. :2strokes:

Back