Michigan Laws???

Are you kidding me? You keep going back to the "Governing Authority" as being the DNR! If the DNR and the State of Michigan gives the MSA and local snowmobile clubs the right to use the property as they see fit, then they get to make up the rules on the trails!

There are no absalute rules or laws in any government! There are Federal laws that can be over written by state laws and state laws that can be over written by township and city laws and vice-versa. The DNR is not the final law!

Im not in total disagreement with you , I to would like to know if its just a bunch smoke are a real law/rule! Im as ansy as anyone to go riding, but that doesnt mean I should break rules to sattisfy my own wants!

And I think you keep forgeting the fact the the marked trails are not all on State land. When you come to private property, do you plan on going around it and picking up the trail on the other side? Or do you plan on just ridding through , because you want to!!

Im going to stop arguing with you about this, but please post what you find out.
Sno-Xr

I think,,,, my point is,,,,,, The MSA cannot give me a ticket, throw me in jail,, OR screw with my drivers license,, but the MICHIGAN DNR could!!!! I've heard about DOZENS of guys getting tickets and I THINK that the ticketing authority DOES NOT OBEY the law and all of the tickets could be THROWN OUT of court PROVIDING there is a ruling by the GOVERNING AUTHORITY!!! It seems to be a consensus (just like going outside with a wet head) that MICHIGAN LAW SAYS DECEMBER FIRST,,,but I CANNOT VERIFY that through any GOVERNING website!!! I can see a dozen trail reports that tell me it's a LAW,,, but I STILL CANNOT find where it is at.... MORE will be revealed....

Watch out Dave!!!!!!!Garys is on one his power trips again.

The reason you cant find anything on the Governing website is because THEY(MI GOVT.) DO NOT OWN/CONTROL the RIGHTS to alot of that land that SNOWMOBILE trails run through, it being PRIVATE LAND. As I mentioned in my last post the ORV trails that are open during spring/summer/fall almost always run through State/Public land. Rarely do these ORV trails run through private land cause if the did the private land owners would have worse trespassing issues if those gates were left open all year round......Can you blame them?....You spend thousands to own your own land while other take it for granite and tear it all up. Some of these State/Public trails you can run on sleds without having to cross into private land, this is where those DNR rules apply because of hunting season and it being their(MI) land. The actual Public AND PRIVATE trail system DOES NOT OPEN till DEC 1(Today). These State/Public trails Im talking about would be the same that I run with my dirt bike and quads and are VERY LIMITED compared to snowmobile trails pending the given area.

Ive been running the MI trail system on dirt bikes since I was 8 years old and have been hunting since the age of 12. Youd think Id know the rules/laws, but I forgot Im one of those idiots thats born everyday.

Last edited:
Expert,,,, I think you're missing the point... READ my last post.... and DON'T go out with a WET HEAD,,,,, you'll catch a cold!!!!!!!!

nosboy said:
Expert,,,, I think you're missing the point... READ my last post.... and DON'T go out with a WET HEAD,,,,, you'll catch a cold!!!!!!!!

Who is write these tickets besides the DNR???? I havent heard of anyone getting a ticket from anyone but the DNR, County Sheriff(pending location/violation), State Police(pending location/violation).

THE governing authority is the DNR. Where I am from we are funded by the DNR for snowmobile trail enfoecement. What ever reason or loop hole you want to use is fine by me but it will not hold up in court. You will get a ticket if you are on the trails before Dec 1st. You will get a ticket for traveling along pipelines, powerlines, easements, or whatever, it is called trespassing. The tickets can affect your drivers liscense if you dont pay them. Drink and drive on a sled....go to jail. If you speed you will get a ticket. Drive on the wrong side of the road...get a ticket. Why in the world would anybody want to argue about the rules. There is not a darn thing you can do about it unless you can get the governor to change it. I dont agree with all the rules, but they are there to either keep people safe, protect the rights of citizens, our just because somebody did something stupid and after it went to court, the system made a law, just because you cant fix stupid . Next year, come on up before the 1st, ride the trails, and I will personally make sure one of my officers write you a ticket, we could use the extra revenue up hear in michigan.

MICHIGAAN DNR says that you CAN snowmobile NOVEMBER15th thru 30th ... READ THE RULES!!!! It says NOWHERE anything about DEC 01.. Thats what I am BITCHING ABOUT!!!! DNR RULES... NOT MINE

OMG what dont you understand!!!!!!!!!!!

In an area open to public hunting during the November 15-30 firearm deer season from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. and from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.

This is for hunters that hunt state/public land that cannot travel by any other motor vehicle in and out of the woods. Say there was 2-4ft of snow on the ground a truck or atv is gunna get you NO WHERE in thos conditions. What if your hunting blind was a mile away and the snow was 4ft deep how else would you get there? Besides snowshoing it and that will take you quite sometime, most guys travel much farther than a mile to get to their hunting blind. So this is what this law made for. Nov 15-30 is RIFLE SEASON, the most popular hunting season in the state of MI. And there lots of state land to be hunted that can only be accessed by marked(Not gated, marked) ORV/Snowmobile trails. This law/rule is not made for "recreational riding" its made for HUNTERS to get places where you cant in any other motor vehicle. MY UPer friends DO NOT pull the sleds out till the trucks and atv are useless in the conditions they have to live and hunt in.

Again YOUR NOT A HUNTER NORE A MICHIGAN RESIDENT so its no wonder you dont get it.

The Dec 1 opening is for "RECREATIONAL RIDING", when ALL the trail systems open up public or private.

But Im done with you Gary, your seriously a lost cause.

Last edited:
I'd like you to see the TWENTY PLUS sleds that were RIDING around LOST PINES this weekend.... They all thought it was allright????????

i feel you gary..... i too would love to ride ...but i dont want to ruin it for others .......thats kinda why i like it here in indiana we have no trail system here.....but if it snows a foot in october we ride ....we have to be registered but they call it a ditch permit here ...but we ride were we want and have cops and dnr called on us several times ....and both dnr and police say they just be respectful and dont tear up the feilds than ask about the sleds and bs with us .....my sled has stingers on it so it is very loud but it dont matter here ....and i asked about the ditch permit and neither one knows how the law reads and honestly i dont think they care down here ....guess what i am saying is michigan is very nice to ride groomed trails (lots of work goes into them) and down here we have nothing each place has good points ....

Bill Manson from MSA said that the trails are LIMITEDLY open from November 15th thru 30th BUT the Opening date (unlimited) starts December 01.... I will try and attach the e mail that he sent me....

Back