Michigan Laws???

If we hear that you got shot while riding Nov. 15 thur the 30th we will know why. Why take chances, let the hunters have there time to.

what is there to argue about here? In Michigan the trails are closed april 1st to december 1st PERIOD. regardless of what the MSA wants to think, they don't run the trails. The DNR has the final say and thats that. yada yada yada I dont understand what you are argueing about? This is not Illinois or OHIO!! On private property yes go ahead and ride around in circles in your yard on nov 15th. But if you get caught even on a seasonal road before Dec 1st your going to get a ticket. have some respect for the deer hunters!!! just because the A-holes were out in full force at lost pines doesn't mean it's a free for all. Im sure there were tickets issued to them... if not warning shots!!

BBlueSRX said:
what is there to argue about here? In Michigan the trails are closed april 1st to december 1st PERIOD. regardless of what the MSA wants to think, they don't run the trails. The DNR has the final say and thats that. yada yada yada I dont understand what you are argueing about? This is not Illinois or OHIO!! On private property yes go ahead and ride around in circles in your yard on nov 15th. But if you get caught even on a seasonal road before Dec 1st your going to get a ticket. have some respect for the deer hunters!!! just because the A-holes were out in full force at lost pines doesn't mean it's a free for all. Im sure there were tickets issued to them... if not warning shots!!
the DNR says NOV15th thru30th you could ride... your SECOND sentence is FALSE!!!!

This is BASICALLY what we are arguing about... PLEEZE don't chime in NOT KNOWING the rules from the DNR// They says that it's FINE to snowmobile during certain hours in NOVEMBER15th thru 30th!!!!

it is not legal to ride one ANY marked trail from April 1st to Dec. 1st. Period. You are allowed to operate a snowmobile on say a seasonal road or county roads open to snowmobiles during the legal hours november 15 through the 30th. If it is a marked trail you are in violation. Is that too hard for you to comprehend? Obviously NOSBOY you know more than the rest of us born and raised Michigan citizens and cannot be told anything. THe rules are black and white and you chime in with your Chi-town glamour and want to argue the facts with BS trying to bend the rules. Do a little more research before you spout your mouth off on here so regularly...

Gary,

The date was established shortly after the first snowmobile section of the Michigan Laws took effect in 1974. The reasons were that snowmobiler's were interfering with the deer hunters season. This season has been from November 15-30 since 1954. You are right that there are limited times that you can go snowmobiling during that time. From 11:00 AM until 2:00 PM and after dusk until dawn. One of the other reasons were in the 70"s the trails only existed on state of Michigan land. Now we have approximately 50% of the trail on private property, much of it on property that hunters who own it do not want us spoiling their hunting experience. So that's why the trails remain closed until December 1st. We have two sections of private lands that remained closed until after muzzle season for the same reason. What can you do, be on it later or on it never!

Hope this answers your questions.

Bill Manson
Executive Director
Michigan Snowmobile Association
616-301-2743

nosboy said:
Gary,

The date was established shortly after the first snowmobile section of the Michigan Laws took effect in 1974. The reasons were that snowmobiler's were interfering with the deer hunters season. This season has been from November 15-30 since 1954. You are right that there are limited times that you can go snowmobiling during that time. From 11:00 AM until 2:00 PM and after dusk until dawn. One of the other reasons were in the 70"s the trails only existed on state of Michigan land. Now we have approximately 50% of the trail on private property, much of it on property that hunters who own it do not want us spoiling their hunting experience. So that's why the trails remain closed until December 1st. We have two sections of private lands that remained closed until after muzzle season for the same reason. What can you do, be on it later or on it never!

Bill Manson
Executive Director
616-301-2743

HERE IT IS RIGHT FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR!!!

PLEASE call BILL and tell him that HE DOESNT know what he's talking about either... LIMITED SNOWMOBILING i'm telling you.. LIMITED,,,LIMITED,,LIMITED.... Please tell me HOW wrong I am AGAIN and how right you guys are,,,,PLEASE???????

I've been watching this thread for a while now.

I am not trying to stir anything up, but rather simply supply more info and let each of you make your own judgments . . .

Just to be clear: the 'November 15 - 30 season since 1954' that Bill refers to is the Firearm Deer Season. This of course has now past, as has December 1st so the trails are officially open now. I will refrain from saying anymore about that timeframe. except to urge you to consider the fact that about 50% of the trails are on private land. Each of these portions of the actual trails themselves belongs to a particular landowner.

However as Bill alludes to, in the Newberry area there are several landowners who participate in the Trail system that hunt deer in the Muzzleloader season which starts Friday, Dec 5 and goes through 30 minutes after sunset on Dec 14. The agreement with the DNR is that gates at the entrance to these private lands will be closed to indicate that this portion of the trail is not yet open. Once the landowner completes hunting (gets their deer) or the hunting season closes for the year, the gates will be opened indicating that the trail is open across that particular private land.

Every year TASA (the local snowmobile club and grooming authority), and the DNR listen to complaints from these landowners of snowmobilers going around the gates and ruining their hunting privilege on their own land. Many times these complaints are accompanied by threats to close their land permanently to the snowmobile trail system. You can imagine what kind of havoc this can and has caused to the trail system. Imagine trails that do not connect or go through to any other town.

Just food for thought . . .

Last edited:
nosboy said:
Gary,

Bill Manson
Executive Director
616-301-2743
Gary you've said over and over and over, that the trails are open for limited use!
I didnt want to get going again on this topic, BUT READ THIS HIGHLIGHTED SENTENCE!! . So that's why the trails remain closed until December 1st.
What does it say? Im sorry, I cant hear you!
You have the Email sent to you, you post it, and still your not getting it! Where does it say in this Email , you can use the snowmobile trail before December 1st?

nosboy said:
Gary,

Bill Manson
Executive Director
616-301-2743
This sentence does not say you can ues the trail system! Cause, Im sure thats what your going to hang your hat on!!

YOU are right that there are limited times that you can go snowmobiling during that time................ FOURTH SENTENCE.... READ it and WEEP!!! and FROM 11AM until 2pm and after dusk until dawn IS THE FIFTH SENTENCE.. again,,, read it and WEEP SOME MORE.....

nosboy said:
YOU are right that there are limited times that you can go snowmobiling during that time................ FOURTH SENTENCE.... READ it and WEEP!!! and FROM 11AM until 2pm and after dusk until dawn IS THE FIFTH SENTENCE.. again,,, read it and WEEP SOME MORE.....
Again, where does it say you can ride the trail system? Read it and weep!

can we just forget about this topic until next year.......it is perfectly clear nothing is going to change his mind. When they close our trails for good in michigan we can all get him to lobby for them to be re-opened because it is quite clear he knows everything about the situation. :nos: If not we can all go ride in chicago.............

This is a perfect disscusion on a snowmobile related subject and for the most part, nobody is resorting to names. I can see the frustration in some posts but you all have to sit back and chill a little. I think of it this way, NOSBOY is playing devil's advocate

The way I read it, you can technically hit crown land trails in the described times, but I would think that would be pretty boring and real hard to pick out crown compared to private.

The nice thing to do is to leave the hunters to their short season so that we can enjoy our much longer(hopefully) season without any additional closures. You certainly won't see me out there before the 1st or until the trails over here are declared open(no actual date to my knowledge, each club has to declare them open).

Gary, you just need to tell yourself that you can't ride MI till Dec 1st starting way back in June or July, that way you can plan a trip to relieve the itch. Or make a snowgun for the back yard.....http://www.geocities.com/snowmaker_17/snowmaker_17

Last edited:
I spoke to a DNR officer today thats works in the Gaylord office, the area I ride in. The way the MI(DNR) law is written YOU CAN LEGALLY ride on (((((STATE ORV TRAILS ONLY)))), same marked trails youd ride your quad or dirt bike on which are VERY LIMITED when compared to the snowmobile trail system. You CAN NOT ride during the hours posted above due to Nov 15-30 rifle reason. The reason for the time restriction is for hunters being in the woods during those hours(so I was wrong in past posts, you hear that Gary?????Least I can admit it), basically they dont want people getting shot or shot at(LOL). The problem with this law is YOU BETTER KNOW WHERE YOUR RIDING, cause if you dont and you get caught on the wrong trail/road(again ORV TRAILS ARE LEGAL) you will be issued a ticket. The officer also mentioned that people abuse the time restriction more than not and thats the problem with the way the law is written. Even he said IHO the LAW should read as MSA rules do(DEC 1st), to avoid the lopol in the system and to keep hunter and sledder contact to a min. MOST Private and ALL STATE LAND(including county roads and powerlines) open up on DEC 1st.

EXAMPLE: If(Im to busy hunting) I were to ride during that Nov15-30 time slot in the area that my cottage is located, Id have 1 trail that I could ride WITHOUT riding illegally or having to trailer to another location. You wanna know how big that loop is???? 28 whole mile's which I can cover in less than 45 minutes......woop dee doo!!!!!!Thats prolly a full days riding for Gary though!!!!! Me, I wait till there ALL open, regardless what the law says.

GARY, I still dont understand your way of thinking regardless if you were right or wrong. You speak so HIGHLY/RESPECT DNR OFFICERs because their a Governed Agency but you down talk POLICE OFFICERs which are governed by the same damn people State/Govt?????? Another thing that gets me, is you mentioned in this thread if the MSA cant respect the MI(DNR) laws you cant respect them, but when it comes to you being right, youll TRUST the man running the MSA that you supposly have NO RESPECT FOR!!!!! IMO you just dont make no freaking sense. Also if it werent for us HUNTERS, my bets are youd be hitting MORE deer if we(HUNTERS) WERENT out there limiting the herd cause if you knew anything they dont have alot of predators being as fast and agile as those animals are. But Im sure you knew that, being the tree hugger that you are.

Last edited:

Back