Exciter knowledge 101

wiring diagram

Let me know if you need the wiring diagram, I'll put it up for ya. Glad to see you got some parts to play with!

I got my secondary clutch most figured out (we'll see this weekend), and I went and picked up a bunch of main jets, from 350 to 400, so I figure out my top end problem too... and I'll bring my go pro for vid's this weekend too!

Your the man stanage! thanx, i really appreciate it:) Tested my carbs today.... I must tell u guys...Good damn what a difference, it runs like a deamon! The sx settings works really great, i had no traction what so ever (must change track:) it still goes kind of rich on the idle and 1/4 throttle but i think i can adjust that or just change pilots, the carb case is now closed for me:)

Got the jetting just about perfect today:) will share this setting if there are others who´s thinking of using vx 600 flatslides on their exciter:) Use this as a STARTING POINT though the jetting could be different depending on what u got, please make a lot of plug checks along the way:

*sx needles and nozzles
*pilot jet 52,5
*mainjet 155
*pilot screw 1,5 turns out
*needle clip middle position

prankster said:
Got the jetting just about perfect today :)
Will share this setting if there are others who´s thinking of using VX-500 / VX-600 flatslides on their Exciter-I :)
Use this as a STARTING POINT though the jetting could be different depending on what u got, please make a lot of plug checks along the way:

*sx needles and nozzles
*pilot jet 52,5
*mainjet 155
*pilot screw 1,5 turns out
*needle clip middle position
REMINDER :

The TM carburetors does not have an "Air Screw" !!
The TM carburetors have an "Fuel Screw" instead and the function is opposite the function of an "Air Screw" !

The "Fuel Screw" controls the low speed air/fuel mixture at idle.
The "Fuel Screw" regulates the fuel.
By turning the fuel screw OUT, you are allowing more fuel to pass the screw,
effectively richening the mixture.
By turning the screw IN, you are restricting fuel flow,
effectively leaning the mixture.

The "Fuel Screw" on a TM carburetor can be adjusted up to 5 turns out.

prankster said:
Kind of fed up with my jetting issues now,
beginning to be very impatient...
want to drive!
I'm just foiling plugs and the damn thing sounds like a fourstroke.
I should be right according to the SX jetting but it seems way to rich,
even though it was -10 degrees today..
What can I do guys ?
Just use the Exciter-II "SX" jetting as a safe baseline jetting and work your way down from there.
Since the "SX" cylinders are ported from factory and your stock Exciter cyliners are not,
you shuld be able to run leaner jetting than the SX jetting.

Carburetor troubleshooting is simple once the basic principles are known.
The first step is to find where the engine is running poorly.
It must be remembered that carburetor jetting is determined by the throttle position, not engine speed.
* If the engine is having troubles at low rpm (idle to 1/4 throttle),
the pilot system or slide valve is the likely problem.
* If the engine has problems between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle,
the jet needle and needle jet (most likely the jet needle) is likely the problem.
* If the engine is running poorly at 3/4 to full throttle,
the main jet is the likely problem.

:2strokes:

Last edited:
Great reminder lasse, but we must add the importance of using the stock sx needles and nozzles, i didn´t from the beginning and that made the whole difference:) Flatslides works awesome!

Lasse could you tell me something about the conversion to the vmax secondary? i need to change the shaft aswell right? (i noticed that part with polaris weights in the comet, gonna get some of those;) i´ll make the old bastard flyyyyyyy someday

prankster said:
1. Great reminder lasse,
but we must add the importance of using the stock SX needles and nozzles,
I didn´t from the beginning and that made the whole difference.

2. Lasse could you tell me something about the conversion to the V-Max secondary ?
I need to change the shaft aswell right ?
1. Of course you must use the whole "SX" carb set up !! ---> That is the point !

2. Get a secondary from an 1995 or 1996 V-max 500/600 ( 1994 will not fit ! ).
No, you not need to get the shaft. Just bolt it on to the Exciter shaft.

well guys,been out riding today but i can´t get the idle to work properly? It runs really great but when i stop the rpm stays on 2000-2500 and wont go down. When i pump the throttle and let go, it slowly goes down to an idle under 1500. If i turn the idle screw it works fine but as soon as i give it some gas and let go it stays near 3000 rpm.... Tried to experiment with the fuelscrew but it runs best at 1,5 turns. what can i do to get a stabile idle at 1600?

Last edited:
famous flatside idle hang,hit the choke for a sec,should take care of it,i think you need to open the fuelscrew more,do a search in the sx section,they all seem to do it,

I did open the fuelscrew but it didn´t work, just made the sled run worse... Think i change back to 55 pilot again and try that.... It might have been a bit lean in low range. Went to the sx page and looked for something to use but didn´t found anything... BUT i did find this!

SECONDARY CONVERSION EX SX. 3:16

Postby YAMMIEGOD 3:16 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:28 pm
YOU NEED :
1. COMPLETE SECONDARY FROM A 1995/96 VMAX 500-600
2. 1996 PHAZER BOLT. YAMAHA PART # 90105-14754-00
3. 1998- 2002 SRX SPACER . 90387-1407L
4 SPACER MUST BE CUT TO 1''
5. SET YOUR OFFSET WITH EXTRA SHIMS.
6. DONE. COMPLETE SET-UP NOW ALLOWS YOU TO USE NEW STYLE CAMS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Now i know what i need to do to make a vmax 600 secondary work on my bastard:)

cool, i meant the vmax sxr section on here,ive read people raise the needles and stuff on these sleds,it hangs because its a little lean i believe

Some of u wanted pics with the flatslides mounted and here they are:)

I was changing pilots today (back to 55) and noticed that my belt seem to wear out fast on the sides. I show u some pics, let me know what u think guys:)

I also planned to switch my secondary to b2 setting today but didn´t have the time this time.Will try that next time im in the garage. Is my belt a little low, do i need to take away one shim?

I also took a pic from the primary, almost seems like the belt been a bit torn on the sides... maybe i didn´t get the alignment right?

ok,what´s the verdict guys?

You seem to have way too many shims in there, the belt needs to ride somehwat level with the top of the secondary clutch sheaves. What belt are you running??? it doesn't look like the 89L. Also, the belt is backwards! You are supposed to be able to read the writing on the belt when facing it from the left side of the sled.

And I also noticed you have different kinds of bolts on your primary clutch cover??? That's not good, it throws the clutch out of balance, and causes vibrations... either get them all the same, or order a replacement from yamaha...

Thanx for the quick answer guys! I got 2 shims right now, the belt is 89x but an ultimax. couldn´t fit the 89L without taking the primary apart. the bolts are different, didn´t noticed that stanage thanx! I checked the cc measure when i put the engine in and then it was ok. (The stabilizer helps a bit to) However the belt has become much thinner really fast.... Lasse i´ll try to achieve the result from your clip, gonna take away a shim and see what happens.

Last edited:
prankster said:
I got 2 shims right now,
the belt is 89X but an ultimax.
couldn´t fit the 89L without taking the primary apart.

the bolts are different, didn´t noticed that stanage thanx! I checked the cc measure when i put the engine in and then it was ok.
(The stabilizer helps a bit to) However the belt has been much thinner really fast.... Lasse i´ll try to achieve the result from your clip,
gonna take away a shim and see what happens.
If the belt you are using is a Ultimax, it is NOT an 89X !!
I recomend you to use the Yamaha OEM Exciter-II belt ---> 89L

I assume you have your secondary clutch "floating" on the shaft !?!?

Good to hear that the C-C was OK !

Exciter-I ---> Part # 87X-17641-00
Exciter-II ---> Part # 89L-17641-00

:dunno:
The 89X belt you say that you running is 31,6 mm width and 1099 mm long ! ---> Totally wrong !
The right 89L belt you should run is 35,2 mm width and 1124 mm long

Dump the 89X belt in the garbage can a.s.a.p. !
...and get a NEW 89L belt and start from there.

:2strokes:

Last edited:
With the amount of space you have in the primary, I can't see why the 89L wouldn't fit...

Previous owner must have shimmed it for a different kind of belt. I know my sled loves the 89L belt.

Back