Exciter knowledge 101

yeah it sure looks like a lot of space in the primary, but when the belt was new it wasn´t that much....on the other side, i could see a pretty big gap before the clutch engaged, i guess this could depend on that it´s too thin only 32 mm? But if the belt was that much too short (1098 compared to 1124) wouldn´t it move by it self and be tight as hell on idle? (it isn´t). The only thing i noticed is that it´s no smooth engagement, especially when it´s hot. When u take off nothing happens and then it kind of stabs before it leave. If i use the 89L how would i know that my primary could deal with that widht, is there a way to measure that? I don´t want to buy a belt and try it just to find out that i need clutch tools (which i don´t have) to make it fit? (they are expensive and i can´t change them after i tried them).....

Last edited:
I did meassure the side movement when i put the engine in, it was ok, but then again i´m not an expert in these matters;)

*Lasse. yes the secondary is floating, i think i´ll follow your advice and give the 89L a try and see what happens:)

Last edited:
probably fine,hard to see but looks like its missing parts behind the bolt head,i have my offset set at 10 mm with the sec,pushed in,12 mm pulled out,left 2 mm play in it,i didnt want to lock it tight,or leave it to loose

hmmm i do have way more play than that on my secondary, i should say about 5-10mm.....(hard to say when i can´t reach it now, it moves pretty much though) is this a bad thing? There is only a thick schim about 4-5mm behind the sec. and nothing more.

i got thick washer,collar,then my own shim
clutch004.jpg

belt in clutch,this belt is at least 14 yrs old
clutch002.jpg

secondary height,track spins freely when running,a new belt should sit a little higher,more low end gearing
clutch001.jpg

14 years man! I changed atleast 3 belts in 2 years... mostly because i found out that the engine was moving too much. (bad mounts). Really great pics! I do apriciate all the help i get in here:)

Looks to me when i see your pics that i can use 89L without a problem. i have lots of clearence in my primary when i compare.

really nice and clean engine btw! Beautiful for the eye to watch;)

Last edited:
thanks but i think the flash helps,not really that shiny,ive never actually bought a belt for this sled ,course it sat for at least 10 of those yrs,lol,ive always run yammy belts and i thought they had a softer race version,if i put anymore shims in there the bolt might be tight to the clutch instead of to the collar,soon as it snows ill buy a new belt and readjust secondary internal shims to get proper belt height,i could measure primary clutch distance difference between stock and comet

my comet as measured with a tape measure(all i got right now)
at the very bottom its 34mm
very top inside to inside 67 mm

as it tapers out a 35mm belt would fit well
this is all the better my old belt will fit and does need to be replaced,youres is waytolow in secondary,

Last edited:
Thanx dsc, now i got something to compare with, really appreciate that:) Lasse, as always, thanx for your valuable advices, hope to hear from u again soon:)

you can see why i removed my comet,to much confusion,i took my sled back to completey stock and got it running right then started adding stuff,the comet didnt make the cut but guess what,i bought the sled with a ex belt on it,adde a wider belt and it appears not the right one,if i had lasses advice and put on a 89l? maybe it would be on there,it did hit harder at engagement and pulled good with 54 grams and sec in c-3,didnt do much more testing then that,anybody figure out what tools you need to disassemble it,if i can replace the bushings i may try it again with a vmax 600 sec,

prankster said:
Lasse,
As always thanx for your valuable advices, hope to hear from u again soon :)
:rockon: Nice to talk to you Prankster by phone.
I hope that I solved some of your problems.
Later this week I will look for some Polaris primary clutch springs
that I think I still have laying around.

:2strokes:

Last edited:
Same to you Lasse :rockon:, i´m looking forward to play around with the clutches, trying is learning right;)

got this hood shield thing off ebay,was just a piece of plastic someone cutout,but i painted it and made it fit.going to get a thinner trim piece and paint that to,what ya think?different
excowl006.jpg

Awesome! Now we are talking, different yeah but in a positive way! Would like to see it from the side too.My creative brain got a crazy idea last night..... what about cutting the scoop out off the vx 750 or 800 and put that on the exciter? Must repaint my hood and fix a few cracks anyway so i might as well play with it a bit.

Lasse let me know if you hear someone parting or selling v-max or exciter stuff for decent prices where u live:)

Took the bastard out for a long ride yesterday it works really great in powder but i must take a look at the rear suspension. I got very little ski pressure which makes every turn a pain in the ***...

Last edited:
oh yea,some custom body work would be cool,side shots,thinkin about puttin in some filtered vents on top of my scoop now that you cant see em so much
airdam005.jpg

airdam006.jpg

Prankster you can find MAX stuff on VMAX4.COM, if you want look for my motor polishing thread in general questions section

Excellent turch! Thanx for the info:) Dave that looks really nice, like it was there from the beginning!

Did visit v-max4.com they had alot of parts for sale:) tried to find a set of nice looking shocktowers, mine are pretty bad:)

Back